PDA

View Full Version : 5 speed swap??

txgalant8
10-07-2011, 12:37 PM
hey guys was wondering who in texas has done the 5 speed swap in the 4g64???

Mad_Jack
10-24-2011, 10:06 AM
Not sure who all has but I know I've been wanting to do one on my 8g. Just need to figure out what I need to get the trans out of. Time to search...

charris
12-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Sorry to resurrect so late. I've done one (I'm in ATX), so feel free to hit me up with questions.

To avoid my mistakes:
Make sure you have 7 3G flywheel bolts. The ones that come with the ACT2100 kit were too long for me (I had a Fidanza lightweight flywheel). If you're going pure OEM, then don't worry about it.

Make sure you get the 5spd tranny mount. I thought the auto and manual ones were the same (they weren't). Cost me about a week of shipping time.

Cutting away the hole for the master cylinder is a serious pain. Make sure you have something that will cut a 2+ inch circular hole in the firewall.

Read the threads on here about it, many times over.

I'd also recommend getting a stainless clutch line.

greddy
12-29-2011, 02:48 PM
So if I use an aftermarket clutch and flywheel I need 2g flywheel bolts or do I need the OEM 3g bolts I've gotten conflicting information on this.

OMEGA PHX
12-29-2011, 11:04 PM
For a aftermarket flywheel you need the 2g bolts

deeznutz
12-30-2011, 06:42 AM
[QUOTE=charris;724480]

Cutting away the hole for the master cylinder is a serious pain. Make sure you have something that will cut a 2+ inch circular hole in the firewall.

That's easy should take no more than 15 min with a compact drill and a hole saw! The pain in the ass part is removing the shifter cable...

charris
12-31-2011, 01:17 AM
For a aftermarket flywheel you need the 2g bolts

Thanks man, my bad. I shoulda looked up the part number first, I still have the bag they came in.

[QUOTE=charris;724480]

That's easy should take no more than 15 min with a compact drill and a hole saw! The pain in the ass part is removing the shifter cable...

Now imagine doing it without a hole saw, like I did :P
I should probably rephrase my original statement: get a hole saw so drilling the master cylinder isn't a pain :)

Also, go get one of those fancy flex shafts that'll hold a socket. Only way you'll get the shifter cable bolts out. I think you can also loosen them if you grip the tips from the engine side of the firewall. Just be careful not to deform the threads too much.

txgalant8
01-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Thanks guys, i finally decided to keep the g so im trying to make sure she's in good running order and the make small but subtle changes every month but i really wanna do the 5 speed swap.

charris
12-01-2016, 09:16 AM
Hey man, gonna resurrect this one. Do you still have the G? You still planning to do the 5spd swap?