PDA

View Full Version : Short Ram or CAI

Armycoug
10-17-2011, 09:21 AM
So I just bought a 2010 Galant ES and it is all stock. I am looking to do so upgrades to it beside tires and tinting the windows. I have been looking for a nice short ram intake and possible sport headers. I want to improve the power and gas mileage. Any suggestions?

brent-ralliart08
10-17-2011, 11:43 AM
i have an injen short ram. and its throwing my CEL all the time. but i like the short ram. gives a great sound when you open up the throttle. was looking into rre headers. check this site out http://www.roadraceengineering.com/4g.htm most 4g parts fit on our galant. if you have any questions about them. throw them up here and people will answer them .

Isaurio
10-17-2011, 12:00 PM
i have an injen short ram. and its throwing my CEL all the time. but i like the short ram. gives a great sound when you open up the throttle. was looking into rre headers. check this site out http://www.roadraceengineering.com/4g.htm most 4g parts fit on our galant. if you have any questions about them. throw them up here and people will answer them .

Bro what is the code? you should get no code if everything is ok. Unless you have a vacuum leak after the maf readings.

Short ram is good for torque at low rpms. down side you will get heat soak due that the filter is on the engine bay near the radiator fan, engine will get that hot air loosing some performance.

Cold air intake, is the best setup since the filter is set away from the engine, usually on the bottom of the front bumper. It takes the cool air from the bottom and gain performance and response at top end torque "high rpm"
Downside, water getting sucked in. "only if you get to a really deep poodle."
HP gain. about 2+HP with a PCM TUNE.

OverCorrupt
10-17-2011, 01:42 PM
I went with the Weapon R SRI and it sounds fantastic, but as the 2nd post said, it threw my CEL too, running too rich. Probably because of the placement, its pinned up against the battery cover, which in turn could be causing a leak at the throttle body. Purchased a Fujita CAI should be here today.

Honestly, from what i can tell, paying an extra 50$ to get the fujita CAI would be a better investment. But that depends on weather and road drainage in your area.

Also check out the crankshaft pulley upgrade as well.. 140$ and i hear fantastic gains, with no problems from what i have heard.

Isaurio
10-17-2011, 02:24 PM
9g maf is very sensitive. If you change the flow of the air the PCM will make crazy adjustment. Without a TUNE you will have a CEL and will run rich or lean.

FYI. Resetting the computer after the intake change it will help the computer relearn the new maf scaling air readings.

OverCorrupt
10-17-2011, 02:39 PM
tried that multiple times to no avail. it shuts off for about 90 miles then comes back on. every once in a while it turns off on its own, but comes back a few days later.

Isaurio
10-17-2011, 05:03 PM
yeah. It could be a pending code. Meaning the computer sees a unstable reading from a sensor, stores the code as pending just in case it gets corrected. If it gets corrected the code comes off by it self after the next start. I believe is due to the maf. A computer tune should fix the problem.

OverCorrupt
10-17-2011, 07:11 PM
thanks for the info =)

Btw welcome armycoug =) hope you enjoy your stay and get all the help you need.

brent-ralliart08
10-18-2011, 12:14 AM
here is my code po421 ( warm up catalyst) fefficiency bank 1 below threshold.

Armycoug
10-18-2011, 07:06 AM
I have done alot of web searching for performance upgrades to the 9G (2010) but I can't any good companies. What model eclipse parts will fit the 2010 9G? And what is a good company to buy from?

Isaurio
10-18-2011, 08:08 AM
here is my code po421 ( warm up catalyst) fefficiency bank 1 below threshold.

Change o2 sensor on pre-cat.

echo12
10-18-2011, 03:01 PM
i know many ppl have gone w Fujita. Thats what Ive had for bout 2 years now. YES, sucks when it rains and sucks when you go through a puddle bc u will soil your pants. BUT, as long as its dry and clear, you can "wooOOOTTT" all they way ... both in neutral and in gears Lolz!

finald8ta
10-18-2011, 05:08 PM
also with a Cai ur temps will be low unlike sri. my car for instant Cai temps are in the 90s short ram my temps were in the 110s,just watch out for huge puddles and u will be fine

Armycoug
10-20-2011, 07:03 AM
Repeat:

I have done alot of web searching for performance upgrades to the 9G (2010) but I can't any good companies. What model eclipse parts will fit the 2010 9G? And what is a good company to buy from (website)?

DTP
10-20-2011, 10:51 AM
Just match the engines. I don't know much about the newer generations, but like in mine, the 4 banger is the same and so is the V6.

If you boil it down, there's not really that much difference between the two. With obvious exceptions, of course.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

tr1kst4nce
11-04-2011, 03:30 PM
SRI is kind of pointless since the whole idea behind putting an aftermarket intake on is to get better airflow, which includes temperature. Since the intake is set right next to the motor on a SRI you'll just be pulling in warm air.

I would spend the extra money and extra 20 minutes getting a CAI. You'll get a better result and better sound. Only downside is getting the filter off to clean it from time to time is more of a pain in the rear than with a SRI, but worth it. I think it sounds better as well.

As for the CEL, if you reset the MAF sensor correctly you shouldn't have a problem. If it keeps coming on later then you either didn't do it right or you're getting that from something else.

TheG3
11-25-2011, 03:38 PM
I went with the Weapon R SRI and it sounds fantastic, but as the 2nd post said, it threw my CEL too, running too rich. Probably because of the placement, its pinned up against the battery cover, which in turn could be causing a leak at the throttle body. Purchased a Fujita CAI should be here today.

Honestly, from what i can tell, paying an extra 50$ to get the fujita CAI would be a better investment. But that depends on weather and road drainage in your area.

Also check out the crankshaft pulley upgrade as well.. 140$ and i hear fantastic gains, with no problems from what i have heard.

any specifics on what pulley exactly?