View Full Version : Transmission oil

stvn_mj
10-29-2011, 02:36 PM
So I changed the axles on the galant today after i was done i warmed up the car checked the oil on the tranny and it's low, my question is should i drain and fill the tranny with new fluid or just add fluid to the tranny? the car has 190K miles and the oil hasn't been changed since like 100K. I want it to keep running but I am not sure if draining it and refilling it might ruin the tranny. The current color of the oil is a brown/reddish color. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Redhaze
10-29-2011, 09:14 PM
the car has 190K miles and the oil hasn't been changed since like 100K.

:shocked2:

oakrdrs187
10-29-2011, 10:43 PM
You should have a tranny flush done and refilled with diamond sp3 fluid pronto. Yoou wont ruin it, our auto trans are built pretty strong. And right now a flush is the best thing to clear out 90k worth of crap and build up.

E_Emerson88
10-30-2011, 04:03 AM
drain & refill might be your solution

Apex91
10-31-2011, 02:03 AM
drain & refill might be your solution

yes drain and refill, I have had alot of luck using Castrol GTX high mileage atf, it comes in a green bottle and is like 6 bucks a quart here in fl. what you want to do is drain and measure the amount drained (I usually pour it into one of those 5+ quart oil jugs with the clear slit on the side that shows you how many quarts are left) and then fill it with the same amount, our trannies drop about ~2 quarts on a regular drain and fill.

the thing is that our cars actually take 6 quarts of fluid, the other 4 are in the torque converter and cant be drained so what you really want to do is do a couple of drain and fills with maybe 100 or so miles between each so the new fluid can mix with the old and you can drain out more old each time.

I did this on my 7g with 166xx miles and was beginning to slip a bit and it helped so much, difference was night and day. I personally wouldnt get a flush because it is fairly pricy and its not good for your tranny, it forces fluid through under pressure which can damange the one way valves and other sensitive components inside the tranny. do about 4-5 drain and fills and youll have almost all the old fluid swapped out for new, and your car will feel like its been buttered hahaha

w/oarctic7g
10-31-2011, 02:38 AM
Agree with Apex drain and fill a few times but I like to add transx or seafoam.

Apex91
10-31-2011, 11:24 AM
never tried transx or seafoam, nice results? I run a bottle of lucas atf conditioner, seems to smooth everything out quite well