PDA

View Full Version : EVO 8 swap in a 8g Galant

B19WHEELS
04-05-2003, 08:26 AM
I went to the local Mitsu dealer and looked at the new Evo 8. I was thinking maybe i can do a swap!! The engine mounts all look the same as my 99 2.4. I think the only problem would be the Evo's hugh intake manifold.I talked to my buddy who is a DSM master and he said that its possible. And he said that the tranny looks like the RS 3G Eclipse!! If you havent payed attention to the engine go back and take a second look!! I just might take that chance to try this swap!! Oh yea you know like i know that the engine wont be hard to get in about 2 or 3 months from now cause someone will total theres trying to show off or racing a Mustang or a Camaro!!!

Auto-9
04-05-2003, 10:16 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(B19WHEELS)</div><div class='quotemain'>I went to the local Mitsu dealer and looked at the new Evo 8. I was thinking maybe i can do a swap!! The engine mounts all look the same as my 99 2.4. I think the only problem would be the Evo's hugh intake manifold.I talked to my buddy who is a DSM master and he said that its possible. And he said that the tranny looks like the RS 3G Eclipse!! If you havent payed attention to the engine Â*go back and take a second look!! I just might take that chance to try this swap!! Oh yea you know like i know that the engine wont be hard to get in about 2 or 3 months from now cause someone will total theres trying to show off or racing a Mustang or a Camaro!!!</div>

I think that's why one of the members here said the Evo was a hack job, engineered with whatever parts they had laying around.

Censee
04-05-2003, 10:23 AM
do 8g v6 have the same motor mounting spot as the i4 8g?????cuz that will give us v6 owners tht option also..

mochanges
04-05-2003, 12:07 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(B19WHEELS)</div><div class='quotemain'>I went to the local Mitsu dealer and looked at the new Evo 8. I was thinking maybe i can do a swap!! The engine mounts all look the same as my 99 2.4. I think the only problem would be the Evo's hugh intake manifold.I talked to my buddy who is a DSM master and he said that its possible. And he said that the tranny looks like the RS 3G Eclipse!! If you havent payed attention to the engine Â*go back and take a second look!! I just might take that chance to try this swap!! Oh yea you know like i know that the engine wont be hard to get in about 2 or 3 months from now cause someone will total theres trying to show off or racing a Mustang or a Camaro!!!</div>

I think that's why one of the members here said the Evo was a hack job, engineered with whatever parts they had laying around.</div>

Who said the EVO was a hack job? That's ridiculous, it is certainly not a hack job. The car is an Evo 7 with minor updates. It may be decontected (no AYC and no adjustable diff) but it is no hack job. Anyone who would say that doesn't really know anything at all about the car.

As far as the swap, talk to Clay at galantspeed.com. I know he had dropped the motor in and that was his last update. He's already done/working on the swap, so he may be able to give some pointers.

-Mohammad

HeadAche
04-05-2003, 04:04 PM
The evo is certainly not a hack job, it is probably one of the fastest street cars out.. The EVO 8 swap is a swap that can happen, just finding a motor will be the problem.. I heard rumors that mitsu is talking over 7500 just for the motor, no tranny, but if its a 3g tranny that really wont be an issue..

HiperSilver
04-15-2003, 07:35 PM
its awd and it cant be like the RS, it of course has different gear ratios and has upgraded shift forks, etc and all that shit . Id laugh if they put a RS trans in there.

Proud Galant Driver
04-15-2003, 08:47 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HiperSilver)</div><div class='quotemain'>its awd and it cant be like the RS, it of course has different gear ratios and has upgraded shift forks, etc and all that shit . Id laugh if they put a RS trans in there.</div>

thats what im thinking

and if u really want to get the most out of the engine your going to need to convert your 8g to awd, because getting a front drive tranny isn't going to provide the traction your going to want. also, u need to use the right tranny that the evo uses because it is specially tuned for it. either way u will have more power but u can only take full advantage of it one way. just my opinion though, i don't know much about engines.

HiperSilver
04-15-2003, 09:34 PM
awd ownz j00

get some drag radials and youll hook up

B19WHEELS
04-16-2003, 04:16 AM
I think if you do the swap that Level 10 should be able to hook that RS tranny up to with stand all the power.

Nick VR4
04-16-2003, 06:39 AM
The Evo 8 engine is designed for a six speed gearbox
To get a 8 engine your looking at about $20k if not more plus modding etc

mochanges
04-16-2003, 09:37 AM
You don't need a six speed. The US EVO has a five speed.

-Mohammad

Ghost Beat
04-16-2003, 09:43 AM
evo a hack job? didnt know those words could be used in a sentence togehter..

Nick VR4
04-16-2003, 09:49 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mochanges)</div><div class='quotemain'>You don't need a six speed. The US EVO has a five speed.

-Mohammad</div>

Ohhhh sorry UK Evo 8 has a 6 speed box

mochanges
04-16-2003, 12:57 PM
No big deal. I would rather have the 6 speed mysel, but I have read that the 5 speed works really well.

-Mohammad

HeadAche
04-16-2003, 05:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mochanges)</div><div class='quotemain'>No big deal. I would rather have the 6 speed mysel, but I have read that the 5 speed works really well.

-Mohammad</div>

Wouldnt using the us evo 5spd tranny loose power off the Evo motor since you are loosing the final gear?

burthold
04-16-2003, 07:13 PM
your not "loosing a gear" they re-geared the tranny as a 5 speed thats all.

HiperSilver
04-16-2003, 08:21 PM
Level Ten is shit, contact TRE or Roadmaster. i have heard millllllllllioooons of problems with level ten. Guy of mine broke 3 trans from level ten, cracked a gear literally and his torque converter was purple form all the heat. Saw pics, it wasnt pretty, and that was from level ten, no thank you.

HiperSilver
04-17-2003, 05:18 PM
actually you could use the EVO8 tranny on the 8g, if the mounting points at the same for the engine and everything, then go for it. The Bettle 6 speed uses the Audi Quattro (AWD) tranny and its FWD. Your not gonna lose any power, ull gain it from it being fwd, just dont use the rest of the awd hardware, itll be custom but hey

HeadAche
04-18-2003, 10:12 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HiperSilver)</div><div class='quotemain'>actually you could use the EVO8 tranny on the 8g, if the mounting points at the same for the engine and everything, then go for it. The Bettle 6 speed uses the Audi Quattro (AWD) tranny and its FWD. Your not gonna lose any power, ull gain it from it being fwd, just dont use the rest of the awd hardware, itll be custom but hey</div>

Thats a pretty good idea, i didnt realize that Bettle used the Audi AWD tranny...

cooterkisser
05-18-2003, 07:42 AM
the motor mounts are the same as the 8g (4g64) but since you have an auto, the ecu is the most pain in the ass for you guys like on of the previous members said check out www.galantspeed.com and go check out Clays install.

HeadAche
05-18-2003, 03:40 PM
the motor mounts are the same as the 8g (4g64) but since you have an auto, the ecu is the most pain in the ass for you guys like on of the previous members said check out www.galantspeed.com and go check out Clays install.

I have a manual tranny in my 8G so thats not a problem, the ecu will be a bitch for real though..

cooterkisser
05-19-2003, 02:52 PM
well if you have a manual tranny, then the ecu pinouts should be the same ??? The tranny's will bolt up though, and then just add a few wires for the ECU. The biggest problem that Clay had was that he has an AUTO and he had to repin everything in the connector

D03GTZ
05-31-2003, 08:38 PM
WOOOOOAAAAHHHHHH!!!!
Somebody show me a Beetle with 6speed! And show me where you saw an Audi AWD tranny in a beetle. I work on these every day and have NEVER seen that! Beetles have a 5speed and use a different trans.

mochanges
05-31-2003, 09:51 PM
D03GTZ, check this out:

http://www.europeancarweb.com/features/010...pany/index.html ('http://www.europeancarweb.com/features/0104ec_fastcompany/index.html')

Not factory, but bad ass.

-Mohammad

IllestGalant
06-01-2003, 09:48 AM
:shock: who the hell would want to waste all that on an ugly bug! I don't get it??? Oh well, I bet herbie would be jealous

D03GTZ
06-02-2003, 06:45 PM
that bug looks kind of cool though! i still would never buy one tho. the only time i dont mind driving bugs is when somebody gives me money to go get jamba juice or some shit like that. i had to drive one today with flower seat covers and a big boquay of flowers in the flower holder! talk about ugly, but i did have a few decent looking girls talk to me about it when i pulled up to the store. hehehe
oh well

UncleMeat
06-22-2003, 01:00 AM
first of all, an engine cant be "geared or meant" for a certain tranny

so throw that comment out

you can use whatever tranny you want, every tranny has its good points and bad points

the automatic's good points? 4 LONG gears, the longer the gear, the longer you are at the peak boost, top of the powerband, also...throttle is constantly open when driving, ...constant boost

the rs 5spd will work on an evo motor, the galant automatic tranny will work on an evo motor, you could weld the vc and use an evo tranny in fwd form, or you could try to put an evo rear end in and use a full evo drivetrain

the rs tranny and the galant tranny need some modification to work correctly though, the starter must be relocated...

about the losing powere cuz its fwd thing, you arent LOSING POWER, you are compramising your traction from a stop, but also take this into consideration...take a 2g eclipse gst and gsx, same mods, lets say they are both 300hp, and put them on the street, launch, and the gsx will be in front for awhile...but you will slowly see the gst run him down eventually.... the fwd will be a bruiser from a roll

another thing you could do is get the rs 5spd tranny, get a good clutch, and get the LSD that club3g is workin on gettin... the lsd, some wide wheels, good tires, and a good driver will give you all the power to the ground you need

the evo is by no means a hackjob, and whoever said that clearly had no clue what they were talking about...plain and simple

the evo8 motor is more or less the same thing as the evo4 5 6 and 7 motor, they are oriented the same exact way, and all of them will fit into an 8g, 8g v6 and 8g I4's are the same chassis and motor mount locations so you can put this motor into any 8g, but you have to make sure to match a 4cyl tranny with the evo motor cuz the 6cyl tranny wont bolt up the same

the wiring problem comes in when you try to run automatic....the tranny computer for 8g's is located inside the ecu, you have to have a tranny computer with this tranny, so you have to run two ecu's in the car, the galant ecu to run the tranny and the evo ecu to run everything else

if you already have the 5spd in your car like shane, there wont be and difficulty in wiring, it would be just like any other swap

i think ive covered all the bases, here is a reference written by clay for yall to check out:

http://www.galantspeed.com/modules.php?nam...wthread&tid=509 ('http://www.galantspeed.com/modules.php?name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=509')

boostedgalant
06-27-2003, 03:07 AM
pretty crazy to see the evo8 motor in these cars...good jobs!

UncleMeat
06-27-2003, 03:25 AM
the evo4-8 motors are virtually the same thing, with minor differences

AMS just took their stock evo8
stock turbo
stock exhaust manifold

put a spearco core fmic on it
boost controller
s-afc
intake
exhaust

and ran over 300hp easy

then switched out cams for their own grind (not a hard or very expensive process)

new hp figure?
380hp

the twin scroll exhaust housing looks like its kicking ass

Mante
06-30-2003, 10:22 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Censee)</div><div class='quotemain'>do 8g v6 have the same motor mounting spot as the i4 8g?????cuz that will give us v6 owners tht option also..</div>

yes same mounts

HeadAche
07-01-2003, 03:22 PM
UncleMeat, you did a kick ass job explaining this subject.. Someone should put this in the Faq section for future reference.

UncleMeat
07-01-2003, 06:02 PM
yeah censee, if you check out this link it goes over the mount issues

the I4 and V6 galants both use the same mount locations

so v6 boys can drop in the evo motor with the stock evo mounts, BUT you have to make sure you mate the evo motor with an I4 tranny, you cant use the V6 galant tranny on an I4 evo motor

its in that link i posted earler i know it looks like a lot of info thats intimidating to tackle reading, but if you just take a few minutes and read through it , you'll be a pro and be schooling people left and right in no time

DETHTOLL
07-17-2003, 03:30 PM
I'm reading this kinda late, but to answer the question about who would fix up a bug, the same type of person that would put a turbo and rims on a N/A galant. If people love their cars, they fix them up. My friend has a pretty bitchin turbo Beetle that he fixed up and it'll blow my f'in doors off right now, until I get the RIPP Supercharger ( and even then, I hope I'll be able to beat him), but then he'll still take me in cornering. The 1.8T engine is a great platform to start out with. With just a chip and the usual mods you can get the engine up to around 220HP, upgrade the turbo on top of that and your talking 270HP or so. Actually to back that up here it say 290HP:
http://www.goapr.com/VW/products/stage3_trans.html ('http://www.goapr.com/VW/products/stage3_trans.html').

I personally beat a 95 GT Mustang in his car, granted not by much but he hasn't upgraded the turbocharger yet. HP to weight ratio's a bitch, huh. He's spent $8G on it so far. The suspension is ROCK solid.

If you like the car and have the money, why not make you and the car happier?