PDA

View Full Version : what spark plugs do you use?

panch15
11-15-2011, 04:07 AM
good day everyone! I was wondering, what brand/type of spark plugs do you use in you 8th gen? I heard that bosch platinum is good. What do you guys think? Thanks! :)

Reelax
11-15-2011, 04:26 AM
what year and engine do you have? for the v6, use the ones that came stock, they are platinum (NGK).

Isaurio
11-15-2011, 11:34 AM
This is hows is break down from best to ok
4G64: 2.4L

NGK BK5RE-11
Denso K16PR-U11
Champion RC10YC4

6g72 3.0L V6

NGK PFR5G-11
Denso PK16PR11
Champion RC10PYP4

panch15
11-16-2011, 01:51 AM
its a 1998 super saloon. the first one to be released. it has a stock 2.0 4g63 sohc engine. what plugs should i use?

thanks guys!

oakrdrs187
11-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Im not too sure about that model but definetly not Bosch.

wetamup2k3g
11-16-2011, 07:04 PM
It looks like the American SOHC 4G63 uses the same plugs as the American 4G64 listed above, not so sure about the EU version.
Link that gave me the info: http://www.theautochannel.com/autoparts/ignitionpartsmitsubishi/galantitems.html
Hope this helps, but again I'm not sure if it will.

ALCALA
11-16-2011, 08:56 PM
What's wrong with the Bosch platinum plugs? I put those on my car about two months ago lol

panch15
11-16-2011, 10:35 PM
Thanks Greg!

Im using bosh platinum right now for the past few weeks and i noticed my car's burning more gas! im not sure if the plugs are to blame.

oakrdrs187
11-16-2011, 10:46 PM
What's wrong with the Bosch platinum plugs? I put those on my car about two months ago lol

I would not use Bosch plugs for anything but a German car.

With Japanese cars either NGK or Denso, I have NGK.

master_visionary
11-16-2011, 11:46 PM
I also run NGK but I got iridium in a 7g do you have any mods?

8thLS6
11-17-2011, 01:58 AM
So I have the 6g72...is it safe to say ngk plats would be better than the ngk v gaps I currently have. All I have dones is adapter+ filter and muffler + stock piping. No plans for further upgrades except for possibly switching to an intake and or removing or changing exhaust resonator(s).

Thanks

master_visionary
11-17-2011, 10:24 AM
Maybe it wouldn't be like omg big power but it may rev smoother

A plug ignites the fuel if you current plugs burn 100 or even 95% there's not much to be gained from plugs except faster or more even burn
In modified engines certain plugs may perform better under load

Brian38
01-31-2012, 07:37 PM
i recently put NGK and i feel my car a bit slower to pick up speed. compare to the autolite platnum i had before.
2000 mit, gallant v4

polishmafia
01-31-2012, 10:03 PM
There is a reason why Mitsu put a certain type of plug in the car as OE. Autolites make your car feel like it has a faster pickup? Its all in your head. Put OE plugs in your car.

dronesurfboards
02-01-2012, 01:00 AM
^^^^ what he said. OEM plugs all the way. save the money and call it a day, spending more money on expensive plugs thinking itll make a difference is just what these companies want you to think. if the block is stock, keep the plugs stock also.

Isaurio
02-01-2012, 02:05 AM
I will say. 87 oct use regular NGK plugs. 93/91 oct use NGK iridium plugs. I use 93 oct with NGK iridium plugs. But ones again i tune my car to run the 93 oct due to timing advance and other mods. I have no problem, my gas milige is on point "5 speed trani"

oakrdrs187
02-01-2012, 02:03 PM
i recently put NGK and i feel my car a bit slower to pick up speed. compare to the autolite platnum i had before.
2000 mit, gallant v4

Best plug for you is NGK-R non-platinum. They're cheap and work best.

wetamup2k3g
02-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Some people may know this, some may not, but platinums and iridiums are used for their resistance to corrosion and thermal breakdown, not so much because they are better conductors than copper. Higher than normal combustion temps or a stronger spark delivery system may require the use of more exotic spark plugs, but if your stock motor doesn't call for them, don't use them, their is no real benefit.

From what I was told in school, most non-high-performance cars use platinum plugs simply to lengthen service intervals, as the platinum doesn't degrade as quickly as copper plugs. In fact, platinum is not as good a conductor as copper, so a given spark would see more electrical resistance going through a platinum plug than it would going through a copper one of the same build, meaning the spark from the copper one is stronger. This could possibly explain the constant misfiring I had going on in my 4-cyl when I ran platinums in it that one day (put them in, and took them right back out).

However, a copper plug wouldn't be able to handle the heat and pressure a platinum or iridium plug would be able to in high-performance applications, which is why they are used.

This is all anecdotal info, but from what I know about conductors, it makes sense. Hope this helps out.

mrg7243
02-01-2012, 05:54 PM
I use the kind that make spark. I cant remeber though I am due for a new set

wetamup2k3g
02-01-2012, 06:14 PM
I use the kind that make spark

http://i51.tinypic.com/28s7lhc.jpg
LOL

Reelax
02-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Some people may know this, some may not, but platinums and iridiums are used for their resistance to corrosion and thermal breakdown, not so much because they are better conductors than copper. Higher than normal combustion temps or a stronger spark delivery system may require the use of more exotic spark plugs, but if your stock motor doesn't call for them, don't use them, their is no real benefit.

From what I was told in school, most non-high-performance cars use platinum plugs simply to lengthen service intervals, as the platinum doesn't degrade as quickly as copper plugs. In fact, platinum is not as good a conductor as copper, so a given spark would see more electrical resistance going through a platinum plug than it would going through a copper one of the same build, meaning the spark from the copper one is stronger. This could possibly explain the constant misfiring I had going on in my 4-cyl when I ran platinums in it that one day (put them in, and took them right back out).

However, a copper plug wouldn't be able to handle the heat and pressure a platinum or iridium plug would be able to in high-performance applications, which is why they are used.

This is all anecdotal info, but from what I know about conductors, it makes sense. Hope this helps out.

yes, this is the reason mitsu uses platinum plugs in the v6: to extend service life. the spark plug change on v6's is not as simple procedure as on some other configurations, due to the intake plenum covering the entire rear bank of 3 cylinders on our v6's. it's not a very hard service but is significantly more involved and time consuming as compared to the i4 engine, because to access those 3 plugs, the plenum has to be removed.