PDA

View Full Version : AC turns on with car?

pinoyesv6
04-06-2003, 04:24 PM
my mom just picked up my car from the dealer. they had to replace the blower fan and fix some wiring. but yea. i got the car back yesterday and i was driving around and i notice something. when i turn on the car, the AC turns on. not the blower but the actualy AC unit. to turn it off, i have to turn on the blower and then back off.

anyone knows what the dealer forgot or didn't do right?

imma schedule an appointment 2morrow since they are closed. but yea i just wanna see if anyone knows what the problem is. maybe its something like turn a screw half a turn or something. i don't want to go to the dealer if its something really realyl simple that i can fix in a minute.

D03GTZ
04-06-2003, 04:32 PM
do you happen to have the defroster on when you turn the car on?

pinoyesv6
04-06-2003, 04:33 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(D03GTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>do you happen to have the defroster on when you turn the car on?</div>

nope. all the knobs are turned to the left as far as they would go...

manybrews
04-06-2003, 08:40 PM
you probably have a failing A/C relay.. Its becoming fairly common.
This by itself is not a big deal, but it does lead to one real problem.... a dead battery.
The contacts in the relay deteriorate and fall off. However, sometimes, the contacts (or whats left of them) get wedged inside the relay, keeping current flowing to it at all times. This WILL drain the battery dead, as the clutch is always engaged, even when the cars shut off.

Cycling the switch probably disturbs it enough to "wiggle" the broken relay around.

Im not saying that is definatly the problem, but Im starting to see it quite a bit.

reedrosa
04-16-2003, 06:11 AM
I have this same problem. Is replacing the A/C relay an easy job? Just got the car last week, a 2001 Galant ES V6 and dont have a owner's manual or service manual yet. Thanks.

pinoyesv6
04-16-2003, 07:00 AM
the relays still look good...or the contacts still do. as for hwo to replace them. i just pulled em out and looked at them. if you need a new one, just put one in.