PDA

View Full Version : 72/74 turbo manifold

galant1983
12-10-2011, 09:15 AM
so i have been searching around for turbo manifolds for the 72/74 and i was wondering if this would fit our cars http://store.max-redline.com/servlet/-strse-161/Turbo-Manifold-%26-Down/Detail (the manifold part!)i want to build my car or turbo it, not sure yet cuz i dont have enough info on our v6 platform i have spoken with other on trying to build mine but it seems not to get to far(not sure if people are takin me serious!) i know there are some that have built there v6 but for some reason they dont talk about.any help will be good

SPD_FRK
12-10-2011, 12:01 PM
3000 GT manifolds do not work, ports are different shape than ours.

We sent you a build estimate as you requested a month or two ago, based on the budget you set in place. You need to understand this stuff is not cheap at all. You can't just slap a turbo on a car, run it, make huge power gains, and expect things to last.

You have to figure out what you really want to do. Last we spoke with you you were looking for a 75 or a 74 build, but you didn't have the engine yet which will set you back a good chunk of money from the get go. As outlined in the engine build quote we sent you (including cost of an engine), just to get a full tear down and rebuild to practically OEM (compression, bore, no head work or anything) without any assembly labor you were looking at $3000-$3500.

If you want to just buy a junkyard engine and throw parts on top of that, it is your own choice but definitely not advised.

What do you want to acheive?
What realistic power levels?
What is it being built for, race, DD, drag?
How much can you spend to do it?

Now keep in mind I may have taken 2+ years to build my car, mainly due to finance issues, but right now I have over $3500 invested and that will jump another $2000 or more before I actually get the block finished, and this is just strictly an N/A engine build.

Do your research, there is plenty of information out there on the forums that you can find your answers. I know for a fact myself and boostezealot have spoken with you on several occasions answering questions you have had, but we never hear/see anything more from that point.

mrg7243
12-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Gotta pay to play man. I know with my stuff it has been expensive so far. But the results outweigh the cost IMO on this platform

galant1983
12-11-2011, 07:45 AM
i know ive paid thousands to play and (get played!!) but i just think a refreshed 3.5 for 3,500 is way too much!! jmo! mabe i dont know what im talking about

SPD_FRK
12-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Go through the parts list for bearings, gaskets, replacement parts, and machine work for an engine rebuild and you will quickly see why it is so much.

It doesn't matter if it is a 3.0, 3.5, or 3.8, hell even a 4cyl, you will spend a chunk of money if you want things done correctly.

You don't even have the engine purchased yet and remember that cost was included in the estimate you requested.

You had posted about a month ago on the other forums about the engine swap plans and your power goals (roughly 250 IIRC). We advised you there as well that in order to acheive that power level you will spend a great deal of money on a 3.5L build. We also backed that statement up with the fact that boostzealot had only pushed roughly 240ish out of his fully built 3.5L build (that build cost was a bit more than the quote you were given).

Even with a boosted 3.0L (to save the expense of buying another engine), you won't get much power per dollar spent out of the engine without building it properly to handle higher boost safely (8-10psi+). Then remember once you hit above 12-13psi of boost your OEM ignition system is no longer sufficient and the coil in the distributor is too weak which will cause spark to be blown out under high boost. That modification alone will put you back roughly $400-$500 with an MSD setup, otherwise you are looking at a standalone and COP conversion.

This is the problem, and why people tell you that "you gotta pay to play." You gave us a budget of less than $4000 and were expecting a very heavily modified engine quote with cams, head work, forged internals, basically the whole nine yards of a built engine. Even now with this thread you feel that $3500 is too much for a fresh rebuilt engine. Go look at what a brand new 3.5L shortblock (less the heads), will cost you.

Some people choose to just buy a used engine, and drop it in without a full rebuild. A few of those people get away with no serious issues doing this, but they still refresh certain components that they know will be an issue, or become an issue at a later point. That is preventative maintanence and something you can get by with on a practically OEM/bolt on modification engine swap.

Take the other side of that with myself, and deeznutz even who have swapped engines and have had issues (Dion even with his 3.5L and 3.8L swaps). Do you want to continue to spend money on new engines should something break, or would you rather have a brand new rebuilt engine to swap in?

We understand everybody wants to make more power, but this part of the hobby is far from being inexpensive. You have been burned by a tuner out there who did nothing short of a hack job tuning your car and that left you very frustrated and you were not very interested in paying for a tune through us at the time. I stepped in a couple months back and offered a base tune for you for free, I have yet to deliver this to you as I have been busy with a lot of stuff on my end with a new job. I will try and get the tune sent to you here in the next week and have you send log files back to us for review.

Sit back and write down some realistic, and financially obtainable goals you want to do with the engine build/swap. Once you have done that, your first step is to purchase the engine and go from there.

Corey2kG
12-11-2011, 04:17 PM
This is definitly good info but as far as my inexperiance in builds my budget will completely prevent me from doing a big build like some members have done here. So I think what everyone is saying is plan n be realistic when it comes to building cars. Cuz for shit is just gonna fuck up n more money is gonna have to come out of your pocket. Now some may know I'm doing swap next year but I've come to the conclusion n I'm satisfied with it that I'm gonna just get another 3.0 put new parts where needed n 5 speed n done. I'm not looking for power or hp I drove Marlons 3.0 5 speed n was happy with it so my build is just that. I already have the new donor engine with about 100k miles less then what mine has now so I'm content with that. When it comes to modding on a budget gotta keep it simple.

Damn I'm just rambling on lol. Hope someone can make sense of this lol.

Exhaust power
12-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Why not the 6G75? for 3k i think one is obtainable with boltons, maybe a cam and a tune?

deeznutz
12-11-2011, 05:38 PM
Well I was going to sit back and watch this but....

I'm going to have to back Matt up on this one basically in a nut shell your goals exceed your budget now with that said I think it's in your best interest if you really want a built motor you should kick back and save a bit more because what your asking is not feasible with your budget. A fully built motor and this is just a ball park number can run between 7 to 8k depending on who's doing the building and what internal's your using... But the buck doesn't stop there now lets say you have your built motor can you just slap it in and call it a day? Hell no now starts the tuning part which is another costly and pain staking procedure it's all about logging and tweeking then more logging and more tweeking and then more logging and more tweeking. I my self have had major issues and disappointments with all of my motors and this last motor I will be taking the proper steps to ensure that I don't blow another motor my new 3.5 is basically a mock up motor for my 3.8 that i have sitting on the side waiting to be built so that I can do all of my mods to and tweek it so it's running close to perfect taking baby steps at a time I haven't even really driven it yet because I know it's not fully tuned for daily or track driving yet and I will continue not to till its 100%. So basically I'm spending time and money on a motor that I will eventually tear out for a built one, its a costly business this game that we all like to play and it has it's up's and down's and that's just how it goes. In no way shape or form am I trying to be a smart ass or disrespectful but I don't think you really understand how involved or how much $ goes into a build of this nature.

deeznutz
12-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Why not the 6G75? for 3k i think one is obtainable with boltons, maybe a cam and a tune?

And how long do you think it will last until catastrophic failure occurs? My 3.5 lasted less than a year!

Isaurio
12-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Is all about the $$$. Dion is the only one who know how much i have spend in parts for muy 4cly built and j have still more to go. Is crazy money when you add everything up. If you want things 100% u need money. Like i always say for every HP it cost money. Parts "performance" are not cheep. specially a hybrid built.

Exhaust power
12-11-2011, 07:30 PM
And how long do you think it will last until catastrophic failure occurs? My 3.5 lasted less than a year!

It should last like any engine with boltons , cams and a tune. Failure shouldnt occur with a good tune. Any engine can break down both built and factoy all depends if every things is in spec and arent pushed through its thresh hold. Its a bigger gamble with a used engine that could be out of spec or on its way.

What i was really trying to say is 250whp (brandons hp goals) should be easily reached with a 3.8 with boltons , cams and a good tune should get him with in his price range give or take.

deeznutz
12-11-2011, 07:48 PM
It should last like any engine with boltons , cams and a tune. Failure shouldnt occur with a good tune. Any engine can break down both built and factoy all depends if every things is in spec and arent pushed through its thresh hold. Its a bigger gamble with a used engine that could be out of spec or on its way.

What i was really trying to say is 250whp (brandons hp goals) should be easily reached with a 3.8 with boltons , cams and a good tune should get him with in his price range give or take.

Your absolutely right any engine can break down but doesn't every one of us push our cars past their thresh hold from time to time??? And a used engine from a yard with low miles compared to let's say the used engine in your car with higher mileage isnt as used as yours is it! I think you'd have more life with the yard motor. Also a freshly built motor isn't exactly a used motor is it? Can you see my point? You cant just throw cams in a head with stock springs and retainers an such and expect it to hold up! And thirdly he asked a quote from Matt and myself for a BUILT motor and what were trying to tell him it's not do able with his buget.

Exhaust power
12-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Your absolutely right any engine can break down but doesn't every one of us push our cars past their thresh hold from time to time??? And a used engine from a yard with low miles compared to let's say the used engine in your car with higher mileage isnt as used as yours is it! I think you'd have more life with the yard motor. Also a freshly built motor isn't exactly a used motor is it? Can you see my point? You cant just throw cams in a head with stock springs and retainers an such and expect it to hold up! And thirdly he asked a quote from Matt and myself for a BUILT motor and what were trying to tell him it's not do able with his buget.

I see what your saying. Yeah then your right on it costing a lot of money if he wants to rebuild and do it correctly. Thats something that takes time even if you got the money. And i wouldnt ever throw different stage cams on stock springs, valve floating isnt going to help build power.

SPD_FRK
12-11-2011, 08:35 PM

The 75 swap in itself will easily put you closer to the 250whp mark with a tune and bolt-ons. Though look what I dealt with on my own 75 swap right out of the gate. It was pulled from a running vehicle even. I broke it down due to bad leak down testing, upon doing that we found severe cylinder wall scoring.

Dion has had issues from the day he turned the key on his 75 swap as well.

Cost of the 75 engines sits around $600 up to $1000+ just for a used, junkyard engine. Take into account for at least $200-300 for a very skimpy "refresh" of some items.

In addition to doing a very quick "once over" refresh you still have to obtain other brackets, and swap out other parts to complete the swap into the 8th Gen. Depending on where, and how much these other items can be picked up for, you could expect to spend another $200 or more possibly just to drop the engine in the car. Add $700-1000 for a set of cams and springs and you are already looking at roughly $2000, not including any supporting modifications or tuning costs.

People somtimes say the 74 swap is "cheaper," which in a way yes it is cheaper, simply drop the motor in and go. The price on the 74 engine is less obviously as it is becoming an older engine platform, but you still have to expect roughly $500 or so just to buy one. Even then you are looking at around maybe 210whp...maybe. Remember boostzealots built 3.5L was running close to an 11:1 CR, Stage 2 Cams, and a $400+ intake system among other things which still only yielded around 240ish to the wheels.

Decisions have to be made on what you can afford. Considering that Marlon frequents the drag strip, I would not expect a yard motor that was just swapped in to last very long at all. Without tearing into the motor you have no idea of the internal conditions, how well the vehicle was maintained, if at all. Low mileage, or high mileage, both can have serious issues.

Exhaust power
12-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Very ture on your whole statement.

People somtimes say the 74 swap is "cheaper," which in a way yes it is cheaper, simply drop the motor in and go. The price on the 74 engine is less obviously as it is becoming an older engine platform, but you still have to expect roughly $500 or so just to buy one. Even then you are looking at around maybe 210whp...maybe. Remember boostzealots built 3.5L was running close to an 11:1 CR, Stage 2 Cams, and a $400+ intake system among other things which still only yielded around 240ish to the wheels.

I truly do think theres more potential to be unlocked from the 74 motor. 240whp is great but on the low side for its displacement.

deeznutz
12-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Very ture on your whole statement.

I truly do think theres more potential to be unlocked from the 74 motor. 240whp is great but on the low side for its displacement.

There is most certainly more potential in the 74 its heads are kind of restrictive for its displacement I know on my new 74 I can feel a very noticeable power increase just by using 75 cams, now if I had added the heads too would have been more. According to Matt the 75 head will out flow the 74's, just add a Lil more fuel to the mix and tweek the maps and boom!

SPD_FRK
12-11-2011, 09:22 PM
There is more potential in them, it is as simple as swapping 75 heads onto the 74. The 74 and 72 heads are identical and even with heavy PnP work (a hell of a lot more money invested), they still lack the flow capabilities of the 75 heads in OEM form.

**EDIT - I should note though with swapping the 75 heads you have to deal with drastic changes in the CR and it will require custom pistons, sorry I forgot that "minor" detail lol.

Remember the 240whp was a fully built 3.5L, balanced, machined, raised CR, head work, cams, and intake manifold with Q45 TB.

Exhaust power
12-11-2011, 09:42 PM
I remember reading about the 72-74 heads but i didnt really think they were that restrictive wow i really do want to see a 74/75 swap now!

deeznutz
12-11-2011, 09:47 PM
**EDIT - I should note though with swapping the 75 heads you have to deal with drastic changes in the CR and it will require custom pistons, sorry I forgot that "minor" detail lol.

That's why I only did cams and injectors I didn't want to deal with that part yet but I will. Yeah minor lol u nut

galant1983
12-12-2011, 07:59 AM
well i figure that im just going to try to build it my self and see what happens,thanks for the info people lol

Isaurio
12-12-2011, 09:09 AM
^^^ All this running around so you could try and blow that shit up. Good luck.

Keep it simple.

deeznutz
12-12-2011, 09:34 AM
well i figure that im just going to try to build it my self and see what happens,thanks for the info people lol

Good luck with your build and remember we're always here to answer any questions or concerns you may have. Imo the 74 is the best bang for your buck when it comes to a buget build, 74's are relitivily inexpensive and I find them for roughly $300 all day long but keep in mind it also must be tuned properly for it to hold up take my experiences for example... I'm sure when your ready Matt or Isaurio would be more than glad to acomadate you with any tuning needs that you will most certainly need.

Exhaust power
12-12-2011, 09:54 AM
One of you guys should make a N/A theory thread for the 6 cylinders. Theres a lot of info to be had.

M-Rod
12-12-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm in no way saying follow my footsteps, but I've been pounding the piss out of my 75 for almost 2 years and I'm yet to have an issue, and we all know what I've done and most importantly what I haven't. Do I run the risk of catastrophic failure every time I drive it? Absolutely, but I can honestly say I've been happy with it so far.

deeznutz
12-12-2011, 11:48 AM
I'm in no way saying follow my footsteps, but I've been pounding the piss out of my 75 for almost 2 years and I'm yet to have an issue, and we all know what I've done and most importantly what I haven't. Do I run the risk of catastrophic failure every time I drive it? Absolutely, but I can honestly say I've been happy with it so far.

You are one of the lucky ones that have had no issues. Yo pass some luck my way bro lol think about a good tune you can get alot more out of her and you won't have to worry so much about the catastrophic failure...

deeznutz
12-12-2011, 11:55 AM
One of you guys should make a N/A theory thread for the 6 cylinders. Theres a lot of info to be had.

There is alot of info already out there you just have to look in the right places. I've spent countless hours of reaserch on the v6 platform and Matt has spent even more than I, I think when Matt is sleeping he's still thinking turbo pistons cams springs and so on

M-Rod
12-12-2011, 01:44 PM
You are one of the lucky ones that have had no issues. Yo pass some luck my way bro lol think about a good tune you can get alot more out of her and you won't have to worry so much about the catastrophic failure...

What happened with your 75 anyway? I remember it not running properly since the install awhile back.

But I've been thinking lately about getting in touch with isaurio and seeing what he would be willing to work out. Especially after seeing the sneak peek of your ROM.

deeznutz
12-12-2011, 02:40 PM
^^^ lol my rom is killer dude and were still adding stuff to it if you don't already have one get your self a tactrix. I don't exactly know what the deal with my 75 is yet because I haven't torn it down yet I presume it's bad compression on one or more cyl most likely it's cyl 1 that's my prob that's the one that's missing.