PDA

View Full Version : Any reason not to lower an 8g?

8thLS6
12-13-2011, 01:31 PM
I plan to lower my car with the springs I bought a few months back, but just been trying to save for aftermarket struts aswell. Well I've had a few obstacles with my car lately...like bad ball joints and have to spend money on that, replace the worn tires they caused, and an alignment. So yeah that set me back. Well my dad picked my car up from the alignment shop, and for whatever reason mentioned to the owner I plan to lower the car. He doesn't recommend it. So he asked the manager at another shop we have work on our cars, and he said the same. WTF! All these lowered galants on her, I figured I 'd ask actual owners. Btw my springs are for a 3g elipse...I gotta look up the drop height again, bur its less than 2" for both front and rear.

Thanks for any input

Rach3T8G
12-13-2011, 01:38 PM
I don't see any reason not to lower your 8G. When you do lower it, make sure you have a camber kit for both the front & rear. Also, get it aligned after the springs settle.

QnzMostWanted
12-13-2011, 01:51 PM
lowering a car puts strain on the other parts, but it depends on HOW low, i've had lowered galants for years and only once i've had an issue with the car being so low i got some vibrations and i actually snapped an axle and that was with coilovers and i had the car slammed on the floor, with springs you wont have any issues as long as you get an alignment and make sure you are within specs of camber and toe, and you will be fine

greddy
12-13-2011, 01:51 PM
lowering a car will put more stress on things like ball joints, struts, axles (depending on how low the drop is) and also most lowering springs will have stiffer rates than stock, which means more vibration which can impact other things on your car. With that in mind, my car is quite low and I have no real issues, just keep up on maintenance and you'll be a happy camper.

G-spot
12-13-2011, 02:50 PM
NEVER take a car to some shop to do any aftermarket modding unless the shop have dealt with tuner experience or you're good friends with the shop foreman. Many techs won't do it mainly because the shop could be liable if something happens to you or the car. Look up the yellow pages or visit your local import forums for shops near you that could assist your needs :)

ALCALA
12-13-2011, 04:58 PM
i had my car lowered on springs and never really had an issue. the only reason that i put the stock springs back on was because i had replaced the tie rod ends and the tires got misaligned and i tried to align the car but apparently it was too low to get aligned so i had to higher it. but im planning on going low again

Exhaust power
12-13-2011, 05:00 PM
If you lower your car 4 little kids in Africa wont get to eat!

8thLS6
12-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Lol well I had my last car lowered (240), but I didn't go through any shop. A friend did it for me and

8thLS6
12-13-2011, 05:27 PM
But strain on other suspension parts takes place with the lowering of most cars right. My last car me and a ffriend lowered..so never went through a shop, so no hassle. I had espelir springs and agx struts on a s14

johnygezony
12-13-2011, 07:14 PM
If you live in Michigan...Period

8thLS6
12-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Lol nah VA...I didn't talk to my dad in detail about what they said because I had only a short time to get ready for work. But one reason one of them mentioned was inspection. But I'm not really concerned since I don't go to them for that anyway. I found others for that when I had the 240 lol. But I think what it boils down to is being liable if anything goes wrong like mentioned before. See I had wheelsand new tires put on back in june by one of the shops. Well I had horrible tire wear then. Long story short it happen again now, because they failed to notice the bad ball joints back then. So my dad brought it up today after getting the car from the other shop for me. Now I guess they're trying to convince me not to lower so we don't have to go through this again. But they aligned my 240 before, and always handed me the keys and receipt..and never brought up any concerns. So I dunno what gives now?

8thLS6
12-13-2011, 09:27 PM
I'm typing as I drive without wifi, so it will take forever to refresh the pqge and see if any responses have been posted prior to this. I wanted to mention that my springs supposedly have progressive spring rates, so that should help I guess? Thanks again for all input

Dominicano
12-13-2011, 11:25 PM
if you don't lower the car everyone in this site will tell you to lower the car, and you won't be as cool as the kids who lowered theirs already :-)

G-spot
12-13-2011, 11:49 PM
^ do what he says lol

8thLS6
12-14-2011, 12:27 AM
True,True lol. The thought of having a car at stock height absolutely kills me. It was just the warnings from the two shops that got me. I couldn't figure out if they meant galants or lowering cars in general is bad. And since I wasn't there to hear the reasons, I dunno. All my dad probably needed to hear was it was a bad idea period, and he would be against it despite the reason..it could've been bad mpg for all he cared lol.
Thing is I'm still under my parents insurance even though I pay it, so they're always warning me about anything related to safety lol. The reasons for lowering a car is beyond them lol. Besides wheels and maybe a stereo, they probably see no reason to change a car..and obviously I fell further away from the tree lol. I might just wait til next year and focus on tryna get new wheels come tax time, make sure I do it right as possible.

Dominicano
12-14-2011, 01:39 PM
the thing is that when you get new wheels especially if you go up on size you are going to notice that your gap double in size. I been on the same set Eibach springs with AGX for 8 years now this (the first 5 were in NYC city streets) was the only choice we had back in the days never broke anything and my drop is not super aggressive that my wheels needed adjustment on camber. i think that if you go with an aggressive drop then you will notice you will need tires more frequently if your camber is way off other then that you got to pay to play.