PDA

View Full Version : build your own turbo~

redattack
04-07-2003, 10:26 PM
why hasnt anyone tried to do that? buy a 2.4l turbo~ get all the necessary stuff that you need to attach go to meineke have them bend your pipes for the intercooler and your gonna spend 2000$ for a whole turbo setup with an intercooler~~

mbssbm
04-07-2003, 10:44 PM
i've decided that I am going to slowly work on that, just kinda get the parts as I go since I'm working on other things. But if you want some info on doing something like that, go get this month's issue of HCI. They have a 40pg article on building your own turbo.

redattack
04-07-2003, 10:57 PM
i read that thing and it has most of the things you need to do the turbo for the 8g Galant~ there are several things that they instruct on how to do that are slightlly different for the Galant but overall its fairly precise~ if you have any question then feel free to ask~ btw dont go read the Hot Compact and Import magazine and then go out and build a turbo setup for the galant~ it is a little harder then that~ lol~ im hoping mine will be done by beggining of May~ we will see~

Sillyasianz
04-08-2003, 03:21 AM
i have a friend who is planning to build me one for bout 1200. the pre-assembled are just really high profit for them.

DJ Galant
04-08-2003, 04:33 AM
if i can give u advise then follow me.
First of all before u start doing anything inest in fuel upgrade. Don't install it just buy it.
Buy some bigger fuel injectors (at least 370cc) , fuel pump (warlbro is pretty good and cheap), adjst. fpr (almost any kind), and some fuel contoller as apex'i safc, don't forget your set of cold copper spark plugs.
The reason for that is when u gonna go turbo, u will need a lot more fuel than u think.
I know personally a lot of peeps who buy first stuff such as manifols, turbo, intercoolers, bov, pipings and ending up putting on their setups (sually with overrated internal wastgates) without any or some fuel upgrades.
What happens next is that either they have or they don;t boost gauge - they drive for couple days and boom!!!!!!!!
Their engines have some serious damage either due to lack of fuel, wrong spark plugs (my case) , or simply overboost.

If u think seriousely about turbo, do it first and see if u like spending huge amounts of money into your setup, and trust me...it is a lot of money, but well spended u will love your turbo setup.

Fuel upgrade also benefits when let's say u just realized - damn i spended $1000 bucks just on fuel componets - (unless u got some used parts for cheap)- and decided that turbo is going to cost u too much. Well, either now u can safely go with way cheaper nitrous setup, or just resell it to somebody else.

O.K. so that was my advice, now once you r done with it, i will advise u next what to buy or what i would do in your situation.

I have turbo 4g64 myself, and i think i know what i am talking about a little bit.

DJ Galant
04-08-2003, 04:43 AM
[quote=". But if you want some info on doing something like that, go get this month's issue of HCI. They have a 40pg article on building your own turbo.[/quote]

I am sorry, but what if HCI?

HeadAche
04-08-2003, 10:28 AM
I was thinking the same thing, i have no clue what HCI, stands for.. I've put together my turbo with the help of LAz and well my boyz and what not.. It took about 5months of planning and just getting parts together to even put things together..Its not the easiest thing ever, but well worth it.. Ive spent about 2g on just parts alone, not including what i already had..

redattack
04-08-2003, 10:33 AM
you have a 4 or 6 banger?

HeadAche
04-08-2003, 02:50 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(redattack)</div><div class='quotemain'>you have a 4 or 6 banger?</div>

Lazarus
04-08-2003, 05:03 PM
little Fast As 4 Cylinder. To fast for my blood right now anyways :twisted:

mbssbm
04-08-2003, 07:48 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("DJ Galant)</div><div class='quotemain'>
I am sorry, but what if HCI?</div> Dude if you know so much about cars then you should at least know some of the magazines

Khopari
04-08-2003, 07:54 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mbssbm)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("DJ Galant)</div><div class='quotemain'>
I am sorry, but what if HCI?</div> Dude if you know so much about cars then you should at least know some of the magazines</div>

hey hey stop picking on Shane,,, its

Strahan
04-08-2003, 08:08 PM
Hot Compact & Imports.

..and assuming that someone would know this just because they work on cars is pure idiocy.

DJ Galant
04-09-2003, 04:00 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mbssbm)</div><div class='quotemain'> Â* Dude if you know so much about cars then you should at least know some of the magazines</div>

give a break dude

redattack
04-09-2003, 07:09 AM
i read that thing and it has most of the things you need to do the turbo for the 8g Galant~ there are several things that they instruct on how to do that are slightlly different for the Galant but overall its fairly precise~ if you have any question then feel free to ask~ btw dont go read the <span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>Hot Compact and Import magazine </span>and then go out and build a turbo setup for the galant~ it is a little harder then that~ lol~ im hoping mine will be done by beggining of May~ we will see~

you wana learn how to read or what????

paulbunyan
04-09-2003, 08:07 AM
You crazy guys i tell ya...

Ryostyle
04-09-2003, 05:13 PM
Once again insults are thrown at the mitsubishi gods......lightening is handed down.....whats the quote? <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Its better to remain quiet and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and confirm all doubt</div> Can't we all just get along......lol

T-O-P
04-14-2003, 07:15 PM
redattack, you just saved me some TIME majorly, nice find in the magazine.

And DJ Galant, did you build your turbo? Just curious ..

redattack
04-14-2003, 07:38 PM
sure guys np~ anytime for my g-ryderz~ only thing i would reccomend~ easiest and most productive mod to do to your car is find a 2000+ eclipse tranny~ this way your running a manual transmission and your tranny will hold up alot more like the turbo and all the other mods you will do~

Prophet
04-15-2003, 12:36 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(redattack)</div><div class='quotemain'>sure guys np~ anytime for my g-ryderz~ only thing i would reccomend~ easiest and most productive mod to do to your car is find a 2000+ eclipse tranny~ this way your running a manual transmission and your tranny will hold up alot more like the turbo and all the other mods you will do~</div>

I thought the only diffrence between the Eclipse tranny and the Galant is that it has sportronic. I was under the impression that the Eclipse tranny was not a true manual.

seth98esT
04-15-2003, 01:21 AM
what month of HCI was this article written?

DJ Galant
04-15-2003, 02:50 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Makaveli)</div><div class='quotemain'>[I thought the only diffrence between the Eclipse tranny and the Galant is that it has sportronic. Â*I was under the impression that the Eclipse tranny was not a true manual.</div>
yes, they do have regular 5 speed with the clutch...they also have the sportronic one..

redattack
04-15-2003, 07:07 AM
it is the MAy issue~ with the Yellow WIngswest MP3 on the cover~ if anyone wants i can send you mine when im done with it~ just not too far~

Prophet
04-15-2003, 11:37 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DJ Galant)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Makaveli)</div><div class='quotemain'>[I thought the only diffrence between the Eclipse tranny and the Galant is that it has sportronic. Â*I was under the impression that the Eclipse tranny was not a true manual.</div>
yes, they do have regular 5 speed with the clutch...they also have the sportronic one..</div>

So this is a direct fit to the 8G with little or no mods?

redattack
04-15-2003, 01:38 PM
yep~ all you have to do is add a 3pedal~ clutch~ change the tranny and drop in the stick~~ guys around where i live (jersey) is doing it for 450~ im just not sure whether or not the axles have to be changed~ i hope not~

DJ Galant
04-15-2003, 04:23 PM
there is more into swapping to 5 speed than pedal and stick. First of all, you would need probably the ecu harness from 5 speed also.
There is a question like is there any mounting holes for the shift linkage?
I am assuming there is, but who knows.

HiperSilver
04-16-2003, 08:27 PM
dont need an ECU, need a TCU though. There are mounting holes cuz te 7g did come with the 5 speed option. It is a huge job. very huge job. Its a pain in the ass and even if you know what your doing you will run into problems. If you never dropped a transfer case or never were the mechanical type this isnt like installing altezzas :roll:

redattack
04-16-2003, 09:32 PM
lol~ u guys are funny~ im not touching this swap lol~ im buying the shit and having a guy who specializes in tranny work do it~ i did my own nos setup it was tough but my cr didnt blow yet~ but yeh tranny im not touching~ goold looking out though

Ghost Beat
04-17-2003, 01:16 AM
well guys i was gona go all out on body work myself, but since that would take most the summer ive decided to do a turbo on the 8g i4 that i own. i would realy like to read this articlein that magazine so if anyone has a scanner please scan it i realy need to get some knowledge on this issue my goal is to push 300+ hp with a i4 (if possible) on a daily driven car (cept in winter) much thanx in advance.