PDA

View Full Version : idle issues

llatinn4_20
01-06-2012, 01:41 PM
so whenever there is a need for me to disconnect and reconnect my battery my car will go through a couple phases of idle.
1. Will start normal, idle until reaching optimal temperature
2. Idle will dip lower in rpm range(rough idle)

Once the car is driven to a stop the rpms will dip to about 500 then jump to
1000(sometimes a little higher) trying to not stall itself. This could happen a couple dozen times in a row and if i dont give it a little gas it will stall.

I have read elsewhere that it's just the ecu relearning how to idle properly.
What i want to know is... is this normal? is there some way to prevent this from happening in the first place?

Also, once the idle sorts itself out there are no issues. Only when I have to remove the battery.
2001 I4 Stock, except for aftermarket radio

Any help would be appreciated

DTP
01-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Yeah, it's just the ECU relearning everything.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

llatinn4_20
01-06-2012, 04:14 PM
How long does that take to complete?

01blackG
01-07-2012, 09:39 AM
so whenever there is a need for me to disconnect and reconnect my battery my car will go through a couple phases of idle.
1. Will start normal, idle until reaching optimal temperature
2. Idle will dip lower in rpm range(rough idle)

Once the car is driven to a stop the rpms will dip to about 500 then jump to
1000(sometimes a little higher) trying to not stall itself. This could happen a couple dozen times in a row and if i dont give it a little gas it will stall.

I have read elsewhere that it's just the ecu relearning how to idle properly.
What i want to know is... is this normal? is there some way to prevent this from happening in the first place?

Also, once the idle sorts itself out there are no issues. Only when I have to remove the battery.
2001 I4 Stock, except for aftermarket radio

Any help would be appreciated

Yes its just the ECU relearning the system. Nothing can be done to stop it if you disconnect the battery. And yes it is normal.

oakrdrs187
01-07-2012, 06:00 PM
It helps to have a clean MAF and TB. Overtime you get build up on the TB and you don't know it but the ECU adjusts the Idle air through the IAC so you don't get a rough idle. When the battery is reconnected the adjustments are reset so it would help to have a "reset" (clean) TB.

stayer
01-07-2012, 11:45 PM
Train ECU can be so. Turn on all current consumers. It headlight (high beam), rear window heating, air-conditioning, etc. Then press on the brake. Transfer gear lever in all the provisions. With the delay in each of 3-5 seconds. This is a very accelerate the training of the ECU.