PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP FAST...REGARDING INTAKE PROBLEM

2 LOW 4 A FAT HOE
04-09-2003, 07:26 AM
Ok I installed an OBX CAI for the V6 eclipse on my galant. I am having problems when i first start it up. The rpm's are going up to 2000 rpm to 400 rpm....It constantly goes up and down until i rev it up a while. Takes about ten minutes to stop, sometimes stalling. Did I install the CAI incorrectly. The intake came with no directions on how to install it. It came with two pipes, 2 rubber sleaves, 1 reducer and this weird piece that I didn't use(look like a bushing with thread bolts on each side).
....I installed the 1st sleave, then the pipe, the 2nd sleave, then the pipe, the reduecer, then the MAS sensor, then the filter. The filter and the sensor hang extremely low. If you look below the bumper, you can see part of the filter. I need some extreme help here.....Thanks Josh

pinoyesv6
04-09-2003, 07:35 AM
about the idling problem. check ur wires make sure they are tight. check the MAS, make sure its facing the right direction. if that still don't work. disconnect teh battery for like 15 mins and then hook it back up to reset the ecu.

2 LOW 4 A FAT HOE
04-11-2003, 09:35 AM
Thank You Pinoy....I disconnected the battery for about an hour, connected it back, the check engine light came on, so I know there is something definately wrong, i took apart the entire CAI and found out that the MAS sensor was soaked with water........I took apart the sensor, used a blow dryer to dry it out quickly, put it back together and temparily have my intake installed a different way , so it doesn't get wet...This weekend I plan on making some kind of splash guard for it...One question I have for you pinoy. I noticed I can still drive my car without the sensor connected( I accidently did, no problems). What does that sensor do exactly....and does it hurt the car by not connecting it. Thanks Josh

pinoyesv6
04-12-2003, 09:40 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2001MitsuGalantGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>Thank You Pinoy....I disconnected the battery for about an hour, connected it back, the check engine light came on, so I know there is something definately wrong, i took apart the entire CAI and found out that the MAS sensor was soaked with water........I took apart the sensor, used a blow dryer to dry it out quickly, put it back together and temparily have my intake installed a different way , so it doesn't get wet...This weekend I plan on making some kind of splash guard for it...One question I have for you pinoy. I noticed I can still drive my car without the sensor connected( I accidently did, no problems). What does that sensor do exactly....and does it hurt the car by not connecting it. Thanks Josh</div>

first of all. i'd go back to your stock setup or how u had it before. the reason i say this is to make sure that the MAS isn't damaged. if it is. then u gotta get that fixed.

uhm instead of making a splash shield you might wanna try relocating the MAS to a higherplace where it wont' get wet. like the AEM and injen intakes. this will make sure that things like this don't happen.

as for what the MAS does. it pretty much checks the air before it goes into the car. it checs its temperature how much it goes in etc etc so that you ecu can tell how much fuel to give and other things so that your car can run smoothly. its a very important part of your car. yea your car wil run without it but very poorly and i suggest that you do drive with it in working order.

2 LOW 4 A FAT HOE
04-12-2003, 10:13 PM
Ok, My project tommorow is the intake system. I am going to do like you had said and put the stock one back in...only problem i have is i can not relocate the mas higher...The filter connects right to the mas. even if i remove one pipe, i can't install it like a short ram intake, i tried...Will some type of splashguard actually work. thanks josh

pinoyesv6
04-13-2003, 03:21 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2001MitsuGalantGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ok, My project tommorow is the intake system. I am going to do like you had said and put the stock one back in...only problem i have is i can not relocate the mas higher...The filter connects right to the mas. even if i remove one pipe, i can't install it like a short ram intake, i tried...Will some type of splashguard actually work. thanks josh</div>

first of all you can relocate the MAS. you're just gonna have to do some modifying. if you can return the CAI return it. if not try to sell it. there are other intakes out there that will position the MAS higher. if my memory serves me correct, an intake is WAY cheaper than buying a new MAS. but yea if you're not willing to spend alot of money u can modify ur intake for less than 50 dollars.

will a splashguard work? yea it will protect ur intake from being splash but it won't protect your MAS from getting submerged in water or something, which can cause problems.

2 LOW 4 A FAT HOE
04-14-2003, 06:54 AM
Thank You Pinoy...I just modified the intake so the mas would be higher, and i used a piece of sheet metal, bent it, so it can provide some protection to the filter. I thank You for your help..You've saved me some hassles of going to the dealership.....

For everyone one else, don't buy an OBX intake, for the hassles. For $100 more grab the injen or AEM. On those, the MAS is at the end of the 1st pipe, not the second pipe like the OBX....