PDA

View Full Version : Bringing the galant back from the dead

nitrodude
01-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Figured I would start an actual build thread instead of just posting in the new members section-So here it is.

Its a 99 galant es, I found it sitting in the previous owners yard with flat tires half sunk in the dirt.
we made a deal, and he towed it to my house, and away I started.
It has a full air ride suspension, with 8 valves 4 switches, a 5 or 10 gallon tank with one cheap pos compressor. The back two bags were blown, So i sent them off to air bag it and got them resleeved and just got them back today!

http://i41.tinypic.com/16bzn1u.jpg

I installed them today and finally got the galant rear end off the blocks I had to put it on.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2gvknti.jpg

And it gets pretty decent lift (Front body kit isnt mounted yet, I have to re-fiberglass the front tabs back on, and then it will be molded onto the front just like the rears molded on the back)

http://i43.tinypic.com/2dbkzz9.jpg

And a couple shots of it laid out
http://i39.tinypic.com/r23ngn.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/334htsp.jpg

Next step is tidying up the trunk, Theres no spare tire, no floor, just a tank and compressor and valves all over. So I'm thinking of making a plywood floor and then make some room for this sucker.
http://i40.tinypic.com/2nk3mgo.jpg

Type R 15" left, Older type R 12" right. That 15 is massive.

A lot of work to do still, But atleast now I have a movable car LOL.

Skyforger
01-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Go new with the VR4 Kouki front and rear bumpers and side skirts.

Looks like a long road of work ahead, interested to see where this goes.

nitrodude
01-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Go new with the VR4 Kouki front and rear bumpers and side skirts.

Looks like a long road of work ahead, interested to see where this goes.

Why spend another $500 on a new body kit when I can fix the one I have now? lol

Its definitely going to be a lot of work, but it'll be worth it.

DTP
01-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Looks good. Just keep going.

IMHO, ditch the wheels ASAP. How does the air suspension ride?

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

G-code88
01-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Very nice start!

nitrodude
01-11-2012, 06:26 PM
I will be getting different rims soon when money permits, Probably 17"s (Those are 18"s)

I only took it around the block today (No tags or anything, not even a front bumper LOL dont want a cop to see me)
But it was pretty bumpy, Probably because I had the front and rear at max ride height because I didnt want to rub a hole in theme again, I'll be getting gauges and I'll figure out what pressures I can run at before I start to rub. Hopefully I'll also be getting a camber kit soon as well as Ricky suggested.

nitrodude
01-11-2012, 06:31 PM
Oh, And I also found an alarm keypad in the backseat, so i took the dash apart under the steering wheel and sure enough there's a python 880xp alarm box under there, Threw a new triple A battery in the remote but the alarm doesnt respond :( The screen on the remote says its sending a signal out but the car doesnt respond at all.
I tried programming the alarm the way this video says to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r01ntAXGxBw

But when I hit the lock/unluck button on the remote the alarm doesnt chirp like the video says its supposed to, It does chirp when i hit the valet button though just like in the video but seems like this remote might be a dud.

Blue8g
01-11-2012, 06:38 PM
@Skyforger, why does he have to conform to TGC? The bodykit works very well with the way the car seems to be heading; if anything I'd switch to the Erebuni 384, but that's just because I love that bumper.

@OP: I'd advise against 17's they may end up looking a bit too small, 18's + crazy low will look mega rad.

nitrodude
01-11-2012, 06:56 PM
blue, Im just worried about rubbing, I had the same thought about 17"s looking to small, But also i think the 17"s would be able to go lower without rubbing, Not sure what im doing yet.

nitrodude
01-11-2012, 07:36 PM
Oh, And I also found an alarm keypad in the backseat, so i took the dash apart under the steering wheel and sure enough there's a python 880xp alarm box under there, Threw a new triple A battery in the remote but the alarm doesnt respond :( The screen on the remote says its sending a signal out but the car doesnt respond at all.
I tried programming the alarm the way this video says to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r01ntAXGxBw

But when I hit the lock/unluck button on the remote the alarm doesnt chirp like the video says its supposed to, It does chirp when i hit the valet button though just like in the video but seems like this remote might be a dud.

Nevermind, Took the remote apart and theres two boards, and one came unsoldered from the other. So I took out my soldering iron and Tada, Works :)
No more stupid key to unlock the door lol

Redhaze
01-11-2012, 08:10 PM
blue, Im just worried about rubbing, I had the same thought about 17"s looking to small, But also i think the 17"s would be able to go lower without rubbing, Not sure what im doing yet.

Read up on wheel fitment and get some 19s... the rim gets big but the tire gets smaller... so in the end the wheel well still have the same diameter as stock or close to it

and when you take those rims off MELT THEM WITH FIRE and find the factory that made them and break the damn plate that forged them.... they look like some cheap hubcaps

Nice start tho Good luck on your ride curious to see how your going to build your trunk layout and how in the hell youll fit all that

IVORY_G
01-11-2012, 08:37 PM
19"s are definitely a must if you're going to be on an air suspension. 18"s look too small when laid on the ground. I agree with Blue the kit is fine, a JDM facelift conversion doesn't flow well with an air ride. If anything JDM it should be VRG or maybe a Pre-facelift. I would strongly recommend not to mold the front bumper. Bad enough the back is molded and if you ever have a fender bender you're going to have to spend a lot more money to fix everything, which just isn't worth it. Molded bumpers are only meant for show cars which never see the streets.

Blue8g
01-11-2012, 08:46 PM
^100% truth. I was going to say that but must've forgotten about it at the last moment. Molded bumpers are a pain in the arse.

nitrodude
01-11-2012, 08:48 PM
MaybeI wont mold the front bumper then, Main reasons i was going to was because 1) the rear is, and 2) theres two holws were screws went into the fender and looks like they were ripped out, I guess I could always get a screw size up though, maybe ill have to look at it more.

And I dont think ill burn em, Id need to sell them to be able to afford new ones lol, you want to buy them to burn, be my guest Lol.

Redhaze, I do understand bigger rim/smaller tire but the tire can only get so small and I dont really want rubber band tires, As it is now the tires are pretty small.

And as far as my trunk, I've been going back and forth between just the 15" and the 15" with the 12"s, And if I go with just the 15" maybe add a couple scuba tanks later on for the air ride.

ricky_db
01-11-2012, 09:15 PM
i will just say what ever rim you decide on dont go over a 8.5 AND STAY TO THE POSITIVE millimeters of offsets

finald8ta
01-11-2012, 09:32 PM
looks grat bro, when i find out about a meet ill lt you kno, i have to see this in person

Redhaze
01-12-2012, 12:24 AM
35 series isnt all that bad (to me) ..its what i run on my wheel setup.there not to thin at all thats what youd be running if you got 19s id assume something like 215(225)/35/19 and with postive offset you wouldnt rub

oakrdrs187
01-12-2012, 12:34 AM
Nevermind, Took the remote apart and theres two boards, and one came unsoldered from the other. So I took out my soldering iron and Tada, Works :)
No more stupid key to unlock the door lol

You realize that is a remote start unit. Try starting it buy pushing the panic button twice.

nitrodude
01-12-2012, 12:48 AM
Yeah i know it is, But i thought remote start was pushing the lock/unlock key and it would start? Tried that and it didnt work, Ill try hitting the alarm key twice.

oakrdrs187
01-12-2012, 01:29 AM
That too, newer models are the panic button twice. Does the it do anything at all when you attempt to remote start?

nitrodude
01-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Unfortunately no. I dont know if the installer didnt install the remote start or what. But so far it doesnt work.

I realized it wasnt arming and found out it was in valet mode, turned that off and now it arms. If the remote start is hooked up im sure ill figure it out if i keep messing with it lol.

IVORY_G
01-12-2012, 10:45 AM
35 series isnt all that bad (to me) ..its what i run on my wheel setup.there not to thin at all thats what youd be running if you got 19s id assume something like 215(225)/35/19 and with postive offset you wouldnt rub

^Truth.

I have run almost every wheel size on my G; from 15, 16, 17, 18, 19's. The ride difference is not all that noticeable if that's what you're worried about. You're not gong to rub if you do the proper research and fit the correct size wheel and tires on your ride. The most you would have to do if it hasn't been done already by the previous owner is to roll or cut the inner lip on your rear fenders. In most case's that is the main rubbing issue on our cars.

Best tire sizes for our G's on custom wheels is:
17" 225/45/17
18" 225/40/18
19" 225/35/19
20" 225/30/20
(225 is usually the best width assuming that the wheel width is at least 7.5" -8.5" wide)
That is a big freebie I just gave you there, so take that info and use it to make your purchase on a new/used set of wheels and tires. Best place to look is Craigslist for a nice set of used wheels, or ask Blue8G to help you look for some wheels...

nitrodude
01-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Thanks Ivory, I'll make sure to look back on that post when it comes time to buy new rims/tires.

For today, I got the trunk plywood bottom built. Its not as much of a "perfect" fit as i wanted it to be due to lack of good measurement around the wheel wells, and being able to fit it through the trunk opening (had to make the front sides smaller to fit in) But i figure by the time its bolted in, I can fill in the spots with spare wood (Mainly the front left and right side of the trunk i had to shorten about 5 inches on each side to fit through) but with carpet over it, you wont be able to tell that its a giant plywood jigsaw puzzle.

Still have to reconnect some of the air ride parts I had to take out to get the plywood in, but i should have that done by tonight.

Then comes getting the damn stereo in and subs :)

nitrodude
01-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Well, tried reprograming the remote again now that its been fixed...and f-ed it up now the lock button unlocks and locks while the unlock button does nothing..

BUT if i hit the aux button it tries to remote start the car (But I think my battery is too shotty to make it start all the way, starter barley cranks when i hit it)

oakrdrs187
01-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Sounds like you have the remote programmed for a different configuration (single button configuration).

Let me Dig up a manual online, I will give you the instructions to delete all remotes from the alarm and then reprogram it, you want to program for standard button configuration.

http://www.directedstore.com/manuals/479V.pdf

nitrodude
01-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Thanks man, ill give that a shot when I get back to the car.

nitrodude
01-16-2012, 08:02 AM
Tried it. Hit the button 10 times and it chirps before I get to 11 and doesn't forget the code. Try doing 1 and hold and hit the lock button and it does the same thing.

I noticed my alarm wasn't listed on the list though? It's a python 880xp

oakrdrs187
01-16-2012, 06:10 PM
That is a manual for a replacement remote.

nitrodude
01-16-2012, 06:16 PM
Yeah, and it says
"Compatible with the following systems: Viper 591xv, viper 690xv, viper 790xv and viper 791xv"

And like i said it says to hit the valet button 11 times (with remote start) to delete all transmitters, and that didnt "forget" my remote.
Then I tried hitting the valet once, then pressed again and held it and it chirped once, then hit the lock button and still same thing, lock button locked/unlocked the car while the unlock button did nothing.

am i doing something wrong here?

nitrodude
01-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Whys the home page not working? Cant get it to load at all.

But anyways today i went ahead and took my passenger seat out and took out the infinity amp, I had a small 2 ch 400 watt amp laying around so I took that, and wired it up where the infinity amp was and put it on the high pass filter. Works perfect. (Wired left side front and rears in series to make it a 4 ohm load and same for right side) Didnt hook up the tweeters, didnt want to blow them. Im pretty sure I'll be replacing the back 6x9's as they were making a popping noise and I still have to make a mount for the amp under the seat.

nitrodude
01-25-2012, 03:11 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/10r30vc.jpg

What's everyone think about these?

nitrodude
01-25-2012, 03:13 PM
Plus, I picked up these two suckers.

http://i41.tinypic.com/e5jiow.jpg

need to find a big Ass amp for em now

Redhaze
01-25-2012, 09:32 PM

Was going to pick me up some of those a while back still thinking about ti for my next wheel set up or winter wheels

finald8ta
01-25-2012, 09:40 PM
Much better, butt we want pics of it on the car and slammed to get a better idea, keep up the good work man,

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

IVORY_G
01-25-2012, 10:19 PM

You could find better...

finald8ta
01-25-2012, 10:23 PM
You could find better...

It's better then the ones he had on before

IVORY_G
01-25-2012, 10:34 PM
It's better then the ones he had on before

True but still not enough to compliment the G with the kit.

Redhaze
01-25-2012, 10:48 PM
True but still not enough to compliment the G with the kit.

True i didnt think of his body kit

nitrodude
01-26-2012, 04:35 PM
well nothings been purchased, just found those on craigslist.
Kind of the style I want, But those werent my favorite. All the ones I really like are either 22"s or wrong lug pattern!
Cant win.

I want black with a chrome lip-Think those would go well with the new paint (Thinking all silver with a black hood. Or all silver with black hood, roof, and trunk.)

Blue8g
01-26-2012, 05:17 PM
Go all chrome.

Buy the wheels I posted in my thread yesterday.

Win!

nitrodude
01-29-2012, 04:09 PM
I saw those wheels, they look pretty good but too expensive for me +shipping and tires lol.

I'm surprised no ones had any comments about the subs!

Still havnt found a decent priced amp, everyone on Craigslist thinks there amps are worth more then you can buy them new!
And I went to lowes to get mdf to built the box and they were out, but I did get a few nuts washers and bolts to mount my plywood deck and box (when its built) id like to see someone try and steal these when I'm done lol.

Progress is slow :( hopefully will pick up soon.

johnygezony
01-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Those wheels look like something that should be on a pontiac IMO, Too much going on

nitrodude
02-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Got some new rims!! Just need to get 2 new tires mounted and they'll be on the galant.

http://i44.tinypic.com/21blvmr.jpg

Redhaze
02-03-2012, 08:48 PM
20s? eh they look alright

nitrodude
02-03-2012, 09:42 PM
18"s. I like em.

wetamup2k3g
02-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Hard to tell from the pics, what size tires you running?

Redhaze
02-03-2012, 11:12 PM
o yea i said 20s because that looks like a 30 series tire id differently go ahead and get 4 tires 40 series... its winter anyways so you can probably grab some cheap online.

nitrodude
02-04-2012, 12:44 AM
Tires on them are 215/85/18's

I'll probably just get two more same tires as the other 2 are new.

wetamup2k3g
02-04-2012, 01:03 AM
you mean 215/35/18's? because I don't know much, but that's no 85 series tires lol!

If so, I think your overall rolling diameter is gonna be too low, throwing your speedo off and possibly making your brakes work harder since for a given speed the smaller diameter will have your wheel spinning faster.
Edit: hit a diamater calulator, the stock 205/55/16 is 24.87" while a 215/35/18 is 23.92", almost an inch smaller, it's gonna have your speedo off by nearly 3 mph at 60.

IVORY_G
02-04-2012, 01:07 AM
Tires on them are 215/85/18's

I'll probably just get two more same tires as the other 2 are new.

215/85/18's huh? Those are some BIG ASS sidewalls you got there then! Lol! I think u meant 215/35/18's right? Its gonna look too small, wont look right. Just sell those on Craigslist and get the 215/40 or 225/40's, trust me you will be happier in the long run with ride quality and more rubber to protect your wheels in case you hit a pothole. Plus it just looks better...
Not a fan of these wheels either though.

IVORY_G
02-04-2012, 01:09 AM
you mean 215/35/18's? because I don't know much, but that's no 85 series tires lol!

If so, I think your overall rolling diameter is gonna be too low, throwing your speedo off and possibly making your brakes work harder since for a given speed the smaller diameter will have your wheel spinning faster.
Edit: hit a diamater calulator, the stock 205/55/16 is 24.87" while a 215/35/18 is 23.92", almost an inch smaller, it's gonna have your speedo off by nearly 3 mph at 60.

LOL! U beat me to it! Agreed though, forgot to mention the adverse effects on the speedo and brakes...

Redhaze
02-04-2012, 01:13 AM
85??????....85? ....Huh....? wtf how wide are those rims

nitrodude
02-04-2012, 01:27 AM
LOL! Whoops ment 35!!

oakrdrs187
02-04-2012, 02:34 AM
I traded my 20's for my homies 18's.

They are wrapped in 235/40/18 Yoko S-Drives, I admit it's good to have some cushion again, even on coil overs the ride is definitely softer. No rub thanks to the rolled fenders. Their offset gives it a nice poke. My speedo was reduced from +6-7 mph actual to +3-4 mph, meaning that when needle is at 70, now its actually 73-74 rather than 76-77 mph with the 225/35/20's.

nitrodude
02-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Okay couldn't wait to put em on.
You guys are right, they look a little small.

http://i41.tinypic.com/244duo7.jpg
Once the cars painted they'll go along nicely.

nitrodude
02-07-2012, 09:47 PM
Like you asked-on and laid out!

http://i43.tinypic.com/30ts4eb.jpg

Have my eyes on an amp for the system, and debating if I have the ability to paint this bucket myself-and what color/colors

Need opinions-all black, all silver, silver with black hood (current), or silver with black hood, roof, and trunk.
And if all black-gloss, satin, or flat?

Let the debate begin.

nitrodude
02-14-2012, 06:25 PM
Still need some opionions on paint!

But I did pick this up the other day

http://i40.tinypic.com/izuuqx.jpg

And I just picked up an optima yellow top and ordered 25 foot of 0 gauge wire.
Still need battery terminals (shit ton, needed for the big 3, 0 gauge front batt to rear batt, batt to amp, batt to ground, amps ground) lot of conetions lol

Anyone know of any decently priced high output alternators? Or have one for sale?

IVORY_G
02-14-2012, 07:52 PM
I say silver with gloss black roof

DTP
02-14-2012, 08:52 PM
I say silver with gloss black roof

Agreed. Mine is black... I'll post up later

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

nitrodude
03-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Well progress has been slow. But I did get enough time to run the 0 gauge through the car, and i built a box. (Still going to fiberglass the inside) but its HUGE. Takes up most my trunk with just enough space to wedge my air tank behind it.

Subs firing forward into the car as well as the port. Going to eventually seal the trunk off from.the subs forward.

I still need an HO alternator. Who has one or knows of any cheap ones?

oakrdrs187
03-05-2012, 08:58 PM
For an HO Alt, what I would do is just go to my local shop that handles rebuilding them and have rebuild it to the Amperage I need.