PDA

View Full Version : CAI and SRI- Again

scatterbrain
01-12-2012, 11:52 AM
This topic has been covered so many times and there are different views.
I live in kuwait where it often gets dusty. I met someone who had a Fujita CAI and he said that there was a lot of dust inside the pipe when he opened it up for inspection. Will a K&N type oil filter prevent dust from entering?
It rains maybe only 20 days in the whole year but i regularly drive on wet roads (watered plants etc) but in either case the road is just wet. No puddles.
Is it better to get a SRI or CAI? Can i fit a K&N filter on the Fujita CAI?
Are there any AEM intakes for the 2008 GTS 3.8 without mivec??

Gotti
01-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Cai with a k@n filter plus filter sock and clean regularly
Sri will keep it clean longer but since u are in kuwait with the desert heat + engine heat it will get heat soak terribly.

scatterbrain
01-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Which K&N filter would go on the fujita CAI? Model number anyone?

scatterbrain
01-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Will the AEM intake for 2006+ eclipse work on mine? How is the fujita compared to the AEM?

Gotti
01-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Most pipe are 2.5 or 3in. U can get k&n in either sizes.
Yeah eclipse will work, just make sure its for auto

oakrdrs187
01-12-2012, 07:06 PM
If the conditions are as bad as you say, what I would do is keep my stock filter to preserve my motor. That's just me.

K&N drop in filter is the most I would go to keep the airbox, the airbox also helps keep out dust and water, SRI and CAI just sit out in the open.

bgood12
01-13-2012, 01:13 AM
u can always keep stock box, get a manghelic gauge and test it at diff points to see hot much pressure difference there is, this will tell you where most restriction isa,d then eliminate restriction, this way you can keep filter and get better flow as if a cai. not glamorous but just as effective.
go to autospeed.com and search intake or magnehelic

scatterbrain
01-13-2012, 02:17 AM
If the conditions are as bad as you say, what I would do is keep my stock filter to preserve my motor. That's just me.

K&N drop in filter is the most I would go to keep the airbox, the airbox also helps keep out dust and water, SRI and CAI just sit out in the open.

What if i get the prefilter sock for the k&n and clean it regularily? I assume CAI will be troublesome to clean because of placement right? Is it really not advisable to get a SRI cause of the heat conditions??

oakrdrs187
01-13-2012, 02:24 AM
At this point it really is up to you..and your judgement on your location conditions...

As far as heat, I thought your concern was dust not heat.

scatterbrain
01-13-2012, 08:36 AM
To be honest, I am concerned about everything. I want the performance and sound from an aftermarket intake and i feel that if i can clean the filter regularly, dust shouldn't be an issue BUT if i get a CAI, the filter will be hard to service and also the risk of getting water in. If i get a SRI, as Gotti said, due to the high external temps, i might get bad heat soak.
Any opinions on the K&N typhoon? The one for the eclipse should be fine since it is the same non mivec engine. K&N clasifies it as a cold air intake but it sits in the engine bay and the stock snorkel directs outside air to it.
I already have a K&N replacement filter and want to know what other options I have.