PDA

View Full Version : installing oem sidemarkers from other cars

Sowndwayv
04-09-2003, 03:54 PM
i realy wantd to get myself a set of bimmer sidemarkers, but i am not sure how i would go about instaling it. would it be any harder than instalin universal sides? i know the universal side markers come with everything you need, but with the bmw oem ones, i have a feelin its just a raplacement for the housing and thats it

someone on here said they had bmw sides on their car, but didnt answer the questions i asked him

another thing is..the universal side makers just have that lil cylindrical stub in the back, but some of the other oem sidemarkers ive seen look like you would need a hole in ur fender the size of the entire housing

Reelax
04-09-2003, 03:56 PM
not sure... can you get a look at the backside of the BMW side marker... that would probably let you know right away how and what what would b needed for mounting.

Sowndwayv
04-09-2003, 04:04 PM
heh yeah...as soon as i postd went lookin for the backside of the sides, this is all i could come up with

http://ebay0.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_ccfa69b7078bb04e23b1542b0efb096b/i-1.JPG

http://www.sabersport.com/Merchant2/images/sidemarker/sbe34.jpg

not sure if it comes with anything else besides the housing.what else would i need besides bulbs to get them wired and runing?

pinoyesv6
04-09-2003, 04:06 PM
youre gonna need to make a rectanglular hole. the sidemarker clips onto the car and then you screw it down. then wiring is normal sidemarker wiring

Sowndwayv
04-09-2003, 04:14 PM
the recangular hole should only be the size of the recess they have outlined on the back right?

Reelax
04-09-2003, 05:57 PM
yeah... you'll see what wiull have to through the fender then make a template and cut your fender w/ a metal snips, a drill or rotozip. the wiring should b 2 wire standard. o yeah make sure they have bulbs included or you'll have to get those too.

pinoyesv6
04-09-2003, 06:20 PM
before you install it. like reelax said make a template. get some cardboard or some posterboard and pretend its your fender. just the hole in the carboard or posterboard and try to fit the sidemarker in that hole. once you get the right hole transfer it to your fender and cut it out. its cheaper to mess up the cardboard than to have holes all over your fender.

Sowndwayv
04-09-2003, 11:30 PM
im pretty sure all imma be gettin would be the housing :x so i would be lookin at bulbs...and what is it that holds the bulb in place and gives it power (harness..not sure where i would get these), and the wires, correct?

GaLaNtKeV99
04-09-2003, 11:34 PM
Isnt safer, and more professional if you take it to a shop they'll do it for about $50 - 60, and you dont have to worry about holes.

Kevin

PS that's wat i was plannin on doin

pinoyesv6
04-10-2003, 04:47 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GaLaNtKeV99)</div><div class='quotemain'>Isnt safer, and more professional if you take it to a shop they'll do it for about $50 - 60, and you dont have to worry about holes. Â*

Kevin

PS that's wat i was plannin on doin</div>

not really. i mean putting in sidemarkers isn't rocket science. most people can do it on their own with some simple readily available tools. i've done a few installs seriously i don't even think its worth 50-60 dollars on some cars. but then i have the balls to drill holes into my car...

Sowndwayv
04-10-2003, 06:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>but then i have the balls to drill holes into my car...</div>

..yeah.thats what i gotta work on :shock:

GaLaNtKeV99
04-10-2003, 10:45 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>but then i have the balls to drill holes into my car...</div>

Thats exactly what i dont have, im not comfortable drilling holes in my car.

Kevin