PDA

View Full Version : is a galant a smart investment

got heem96
01-17-2012, 04:04 PM
hi my name is nick and i just wanted to hear from some of you guys and if you think a galant is a smart choice for me i dont own one yet but have been looking very hard and yes i have searched the forums im not new to them i used to have a 02 altima and was pretty much always on their forums learing and reSEARCHing them now i cant afford another altima because they are pretty pricey and have factory defects that i cant afford to correct like i used to. im a 20 year old single dad living on my own and i have a beat up 95 ford taurus that smells like maple syrup when i turn the heat on im sick of it and with claiming my darling daugther i can get a bunch of money on my tax return im gonna buy a gtz (only option if buying a galant) now to get to the heart of my post is it a smart decision knowing my circumstances im pretty car savy and can do basic work myself but big repairs i would either need to drop money or get assistance if there is any members from NJ on here let me know your opinions guys everyone on the forum obviously favors the galant and i dont blame them they are nice which is why i would like own over a toyota camry or corolla lol

Skyforger
01-17-2012, 04:07 PM
Galants are pretty reliable, although I've only been hands on with just the 2.4L engine.

How close are you to Manhattan and the five boroughs? There's some guys running a small shop, and are HIGHLY knowledgeable with these cars if you need a hand.

got heem96
01-17-2012, 04:16 PM
im about a hour and a half away from the city i live at the jersey shore unfortunately

wetamup2k3g
01-17-2012, 04:19 PM
I say yes. If you can find a nice, clean one-owner well maintained one, go for it. Try to get a chance to test drive it (only way 'ill buy a car). Start it up from cold if possible, listen for any bad noises. Drive it at speed and try to go thru the gears. Make sure it's not slipping. That's like the biggest complaint with our cars, the auto trans can be a pain, but my GTZ drives fine with no slip, and my 4-cyl, while it did have some slippage between 2nd and 3rd, drove strong all the way up until it got totaled at 172K miles. Change fluids at recommended (or earlier) intervals and change belts (mainly the timing and balance shaft belts (4-cyl) ) at 60K faithfully, and you should be good. Only use OEM or Gates/Goodyear/High quality name-brand belts, and Mitsu trans fluid too. That's all I can think of at the moment. Hope this helps and welcome to TGC!

QnzMostWanted
01-17-2012, 04:19 PM
why only a GTZ? there arent many more options on the GTZ that u cant find on an ES V6 or LS V6....the v6 platform is great, owning one with over 260k for a while and doing the 5spd swap on it it was actually one of my favorite galants. They are very reliable once maintenance is done and the car would last a really long time...Welcome to TGC, i hope u can find all the answers you are looking for here and it helps you make ur decision

got heem96
01-17-2012, 04:24 PM
gtz cause its factory sport my brother had a 3rd gen gts and my friend has a 10th gen lancer gts and the factory mitsubishi sportiness is awesome imho i dont plan on going to crazy with mods cause its gonna be a daddy sedan lol most important mod will be the car seat

Reelax
01-17-2012, 04:44 PM
make sure the timing belt was changed at 60K (and 120K if it has that much mileage). if the timing belt breaks while running, repairs will be at least as much as the car's value. other than that, these cars r very reliable if you maintain them.

oakrdrs187
01-17-2012, 04:48 PM
DIY Maintenance on the I4 is easier than the V6. But either choice will last if you take care of it. I had a 3G GT that I drove for 5yrs, sold it with 152K and still ran very strong. Now I have to 8G I4's one with 170k the other 211k and both still run great. No problems with trannys whatsoever on any of them including the 3G GT.

So choose wisely, if links are available for the cars you are interested in, post if you would like our opinions.

Have a look at this thread, we helped this guy detect a thing or two about the G's he was looking at that he probably would not have picked up on.
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=48704

got heem96
01-17-2012, 04:58 PM
thanks i will make sure all service is done when i take a look at the cars here is a couple links i dont have much money to play with so its a little on the high mileage side im looking for a dealer more to see if i can get a warranty just in case
http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/2799291314.html got a couple dents here and there

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/ctd/2763696118.html this one is by far my favorite and first call when i have the money

thats all i could find for now but im sure more will turn up if anyone sees anything in the nj (anywhere is fine) pa (close to philly) or ny (5 boroughs or upstate because i have my family there they would look for me) let me know

Skyforger
01-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Looks clean, but dealers always detail teh fuck out of their cars.

Mileage would be my only concern with that example.

Blue8g
01-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Both of those are asking too much for what they have.

And no car is a good investment.

got heem96
01-17-2012, 05:17 PM

yeah i know that i would never pay full price for those lol but im a 20 year old single dude dont have alot of moneys

wetamup2k3g
01-17-2012, 05:33 PM
And the white one is NOT a GTZ, no CF twist trim inside and no Infinity sound system, no body colored grills, no body claddings. If she's in mint condition, see if you can't knock some of that price off.

The second one looks just like mine, however it is very dirty inside, the steering wheel, armrest and chairs look brown almost (camera's fault probably) but you can see the crust on the wheel and armrest inside, not to mention some dings.

99 galant
01-17-2012, 05:34 PM

Beat me to it. Investment means you get a return on your money!

Reliable yes.

got heem96
01-17-2012, 05:51 PM
well i will just have to play it by ear thanks alot guys been a big help