PDA

View Full Version : turbo engine

redattack
04-10-2003, 10:22 PM
what are the different types of turboed engines that fit on the Galant~ including like stock turbo engines~ please list all~

redattack
04-10-2003, 10:22 PM
this is for the 99+ Galant~

redattack
04-11-2003, 08:23 AM
does the eclipse 97-99~ 4 Cylinder engine fit on the i4 2001 Galant?

redattack
04-11-2003, 08:28 AM
does the eclipse 97-99~ 4 Cylinder engine fit on the i4 2001 Galant?

seth98esT
04-11-2003, 09:08 AM
heres some very interesting material from Clay:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>*NOTE!: this is all related to 8th gen galants... (1999+) Â*

here is what we know, if you have any questions about this info, post here Â*

ok... Â*

The 4g64 powered I4 Galant has 1 mount on the block and three on the tranny, the tranny is on the drivers side of the engine bay and the engine is on the passengerside. Â*

That rules out the possibility of using a 1g 4g63, 2g 4g63, or evo1-3 4g63's because they are all opposite of ours, by having the tranny on the passengerside and the motor on the drivers side Â*

I do not own a GTZ or LS v6 and will not be able to check under the hood of one for another couple hours so this next paragraph will be theoretical for a couple hours untill I can confirm... Â*

The GTZ, ES v6, ES I4, and LS all use the same motor mount configuration. The stock 6g72 motor that comes in a v6 galant has the same (1 on the block, 3 on the tranny) mount design, in the same locations as the 4g64 that came in the I4 Â*

this means that you could take a GTZ v6 motor AND tranny and put it into an ES 4cyl Galant, or you could take an I4 galant motor AND tranny from an ES galant and put it into a GTZ or ES V6... Â*

The reason I capitalized the word "AND" is because you have to match the v6 tranny with the v6 motor...and the I4 tranny with the I4 motor... Â*

Heres a theory that has been partially proven with my car... any of the 4gxx tranny bell housings will bolt up to any of the 4gxx blocks as long as they are in the same generation... Â*
and any of the 6gxx tranny bell housings will bolt up to any of the 6gxx blocks as long as they are in the same generation Â*
BUT a 4gxx tranny bell housing will NOT bolt up to a 6gzz block and a 6gxx tranny bell housing will NOT bolt up to a 4gxx block. Â*

so now we get into questions about "what will go into my car" Â*

one of the questions ive been asked is what needs to be done to put an evo4+ motor into a v6 galant... basically here is the problem...in my car (an I4) we dropped an evo4 4g63 motor in, so since its a 4gxx motor we can use a 4gxx tranny...luckily my car came with one, the stock I$ 4g64 galant tranny. The v6 however does not come with this tranny, it comes with a 6gxx tranny..which will not bolt up to a 4gxx motor Â*

so what you would have to do is get a 4gxx tranny and put it in the v6 car with the 4gxx motor...AND SINCE we already know that he mounting locations are in the same place, you know that you can do that. Â*

if you are going to be buying a 4gxx tranny, the best thing to do would be to get a manual 5spd out of a 3g (2000+) Eclipse 4cyl and grab the pedal assembly, shifter assembly, and master cylinder and some other parts to swap it over to a more upgradeable, stronger tranny than the stock 4cyl galant automatic tranny Â*

some ask "why cant i just use the evo tranny that comes with the evo motor"...you can, but there are 2 problems that come in your way...the first problem is that it is an awd manual transmission...you can correct this by welding the VC and making it fwd, then since it is manual, you would need to get the other parts needed for the car such as pedal and shifter assemblies...now onto the second problem. SIZE. The transfer case from the evo motor is considerably large in a place where it cant fit on the galant, normally where the transfercase would sit, it cant because there is a structural crossmember there that cant be removed. To correct this problem you could remove the transfer case...i think or you could cut out a section of the crossmember and weld an arch in to make clearence for the transfercase. Â*

Another question is "Can I put a twin turbo galant vr4 motor in my I4 galant?" This is now really getting into theory because since I havent seen it done yet, i cant say that there arent any size and fitment issues, but if it fit with no problems, you would just have to match the motor with a 6gxx tranny...because your I4 tranny would not bolt up to the block...and if you wanted to use the galant vr4 awd tranny you would run into the same problems as the awd evo tranny. Â*

Then comes the wiring, and thats where things get outta my hands and someone else would have to take over... thats why ill be studying electrical engineering at the University of Central Florida in august... </div>