View Full Version : 8G Back from the dead

acremeans2326
02-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Hello All!

I have an 8G(v6) with about 75k miles that has, unfortunately, been sitting in the weather for about 5+ years. It hasn't been turned over at all. I realize that I'm going to have to drain/replace all fluids, get rotors turned etc. but what other things should I plan on replacing? So far I figure I need to:
Turn Rotors
Check pads
Replace brake fluid
drain gas tank
Replace fuel filter
Drain/replace coolant fluid
replace thermostat
Drain/replace tranny fluid
replace tranny filter
new plugs/wires
maybe distro cap/rotor?
valve cover gaskets
head gasket?
new battery
test alternator
test starter

All help is appreciated!

fatal1
02-28-2012, 05:25 PM
thats a long time for a car to sit without even being started. i would certainly do the routine maintenance. i would also check the belts etc since chances are they are dry rot from just sitting there. the above items mentioned are a good start but it really depends on how beat up the car is and how severe the climate change was over time...

oakrdrs187
02-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Turn Rotors
Check pads
Replace brake fluid
drain gas tank
Replace fuel filter
Drain/replace coolant fluid
replace thermostat
Drain/replace tranny fluid
replace tranny filter
new plugs/wires
maybe distro cap/rotor?
valve cover gaskets

new battery

Replace all. Plus timing belt and water pump.

acremeans2326
03-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Ok, I've done all the above. The car turns over, but it doesn't start. I pulled the plugs/wires, and they are firing when turned over. I smelled the plugs, and they have a gas smell. Should I hear the fuel pump humming if the back seat is still out? I'm not sure if I'm having an issue with air or fuel. I had pulled the fuel pump and replaced the screen on the bottom. There was also a line on the pump itself (between the top and bottom, that was broken, so I replaced it with some 5/16 rubber fuel line. Everything seems to be working, but it just won't run. It doesn't sound like there are any vacuum issues. I do have one other question about timing as well. TDC on 1 is supposed to be when ALL of the marks line up. from what I can tell (putting some extensions down into the cylinder), that TDC is when the crankshaft mark is at the bottom of the engine. I'm completely baffled by this, but I figured if the marks are lined up, then it has to be right. I hate to have to take it to the dealer and them charge me a fortune to fix it. I've already put about $600 into it. Any suggestions guys? My Brother-in-law and I are stumped.

acremeans2326
03-12-2012, 09:04 AM
So this morning, I sprayed some starter fluid into the intake, and had someone try and crank it and it runs. So... should I go with a used pump/sending unit, or a new one? I can get a used one with 30 day warranty for about $75. Cheapest new one is $275. Thoughts?

IVORY_G
03-12-2012, 11:01 AM
I was gonna say it sounded like your fuel pump. I wouldnt buy a used one. Chances are it could still crap out on you after the warranty is up and then your out of the money spent on it. When buying parts like those you have to invest the money into new parts. Otherwise you can just be throwing your money away. Ive been there and done that before so I know from experience.

doctor
03-12-2012, 11:06 AM
acremeans2326 get the Walbro fuel pump. It runs well and cost about $100

fatal1
03-12-2012, 11:31 AM
dont get a walbro unless your planning on boosting the car. just get a stock replacement

acremeans2326
03-12-2012, 03:39 PM
@doctor: I believe I need the entire sending assembly, not just the pump, so I still have to buy the expensive part.

@IVORY_G: I went ahead and got the used system, because even though I plan to drive the car for a while, I'm only assuming that putting another unit in will correct the issue. With the time it's been sitting, I may have an issue in my lines or something, and it just appears to be pump related. So I just want to take the cheapest route to fix it. I'll never boost it, so if this one fails, I'll just spend the 300 on a new replacement. After 6 years of sitting, all I hope for right now is a running car.

acremeans2326
03-14-2012, 01:28 PM
Car started! Woo-hoo... unfortunately, when it got to operating temp, it started shooting out water... does anybody know how to pull the distributor? I think that part that's leaking is the housing that mounts to the side of the engine where the thermostat connects to. i can get all bolts but one, and it's wedged behind the distributor. no socket or wrench will fit in there.

acremeans2326
03-15-2012, 11:44 AM
OK. So i pulled the thermostat housing, after pulling the distributor. The big pipe that runs across the top of the engine that connects the water pump to the housing has a big rust hole in it! Has anybody else seen this happen? I called Mitsubishi, and it cost $95 after tax for the pipe plus o-rings (with overnight shipping). I really hope this is the last thing I have to buy.

acremeans2326
04-25-2012, 08:09 PM
so, i'm back to the drawing board. can't get the car to run at all. i've cleaned the MAS and the IAC Valve with appropriate cleaners. is there any way to test these (ie voltage meter, etc) to see if they are still good?

oakrdrs187
04-25-2012, 09:46 PM
Have any codes?

Sent from my Rooted Droid X using hacked Tapatalk 2

acremeans2326
05-02-2012, 08:30 PM
no codes... have no idea... if someone keeps cranking it, i can smell fuel.