PDA

View Full Version : Purge Valve 2004 GTS

javoigt
03-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Hello Again Guys,

Every time I take off the Gas Cap and fill up, my car wont start right away and I have to gas pedal it a bit while turning the key. After research is sounds like it could be my Purge Valve? Where is this located? Thanks!!

Jason

javoigt
03-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Update: OBD2 scan shows P0455

Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (gross leak/no flow)

Besides checking my Gas cap, where would i test anything else that has to do with my EVAP system?

Sleepervr-4
03-06-2012, 07:10 PM
That is the code you would get if your filling up while car is running but you said you had problems with restarting so that doesn't seem like it is your problem. Evap basically ensures your gas tank is sealed off and purges any access pressure into the engine. First place I would start is checking the gas cap and the seal around it that seals off the filler neck. Make sure the seal isn't cracked. It would be hard to check the gas cap since you don't have the proper tool to do so. The way you would test this system is to fog the line in the engine bay and check to see where the smoke is coming out from. You would use a scan tool to open the evap purge valve and solinoid to make sure the smoke reaches the gas tank. These are things you probably couldn't do since you don't have shop tools. I say check the line from the engine bay to the gas tank to see if you see any cracks in the line. If you don't see any I would just go ahead and change the gas cap since they run for about $10 at any local auto parts store to see if that solves the problem. Most of the time it's your gas cap that isn't holding the pressure. If that doesn't help your going to have to take it to a shop and have them do the test I mentioned above. Good luck

finald8ta
03-06-2012, 07:42 PM
And this is where I chime in,

I had the same issue yet I did have a crack fuel tank right next the the fuel pressure sensor, I ended up replacing the tank

Look for signs of leaks and go from there
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

javoigt
03-07-2012, 08:19 AM
Replaced the gas gap and the car started up without having to guess it. I'm assuming that fixed it (started right up without gassing it), but I will know for sure after I run the car a bit with no codes. Thanks for the input!!

javoigt
03-09-2012, 08:09 AM
Well, I filled up my tank of gas this morning and put the new gas cap on snug...and my car wouldn't start. Had to gas it a bit like before. No error code yet but I assume its coming. So I knocked gas cap off the list :/ Looks like I will start looking for a crack