PDA

View Full Version : they always say it comes in threes

Dominicano
03-01-2012, 08:10 PM
after getting hit in the back on of my car the next day my nephew decides to clean my engine bay and a lapse of judgement he did not cover anything thinking since he done this so many times it would be ok. Car started then it died. after a day of drying out it still would not start. Luckily he works as a porter in a dealership so the shop guy helped me out. He determined the issue was the distributor as we were not getting any sparks at all, but the previous night i had check and the spark was there. After he disassembled the distributor the little arm that swing the tip was burnt and not much left he put a new one in but no luck. Last resort he hooked me up and took the distributor from a sebring on the lot and put it in and the car started Amen, as i said they come in three's right. Now I have a CEL went to pull the codes and got the following.

p0170
p0335
p0173
p0340

has anyone worked with type of codes? code 0335 say faulty ckp sensor and 0340 faulty CMP sensor

any help is appreciated i already got to take this car to get fixed for the accident and it pushes my plan to force to paint the whole car now so i got to fix this myself.

oakrdrs187
03-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Some of the codes can be from before it started abd all that cranking threw the codes, have you cleared them to see if they return? How does it run now?

Could still be wet, I know my white G acts up with mild pressure wash using an electric BTW and my silver G dont mind the water at all.

Dominicano
03-01-2012, 10:30 PM
it runs ok the only different it sounds like a light sputter a sound i never heard before. I did not clear it out i should of told the guy to do it, i had disconnected the battery the first time and the CEL was off then it came back on. But its making that sound that I do not like. It's been like 2 days since it happened i hoped it would have dried up already.

oakrdrs187
03-02-2012, 03:25 AM
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0173

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0170

RedGalant2k1
03-02-2012, 09:01 AM
I would start by removing the spark plugs and let it sit in a warm garage overnight. Then in the morning crank the car with the spark plugs removed to try and evacuate any remaining water in the cylinders. It's likely that one cylinder has more than the others. At this point you also need to be careful letting the car crank over, water which can't be compressed, will easily bend rods and destroy your engine block.

Dominicano
03-02-2012, 09:19 AM
wouldnt the car have trouble starting if there was water in the cylinder? it runs and idle fine even starts up faster then it did before. when i removed the plugs they were not wet. and if i take the plugs out would thebfront three be fine or i have to remove all 6

RedGalant2k1
03-02-2012, 09:29 AM
Well, it could still run with water in the cylinder, but I can't see it running better. Does it look like there was any moisture anywhere either inside the electronics, or crankcase?

Dominicano
03-02-2012, 11:59 AM
nope the plugs were dry the first cylinder to on the drive side was a little wet wtih gas but the other two were dry when I checked them. I am going to check them again tonight. i wonder if maybe the timing of the distributor needs to be fixed?