PDA

View Full Version : New G bad problems!!! TGC please help!!!

drm3613
03-02-2012, 12:05 AM
So I recently purchased a 2001 V6 Galant DE. I test drove it and it was great! 63'000 miles, All leather, everything was great, had a mecanic check it out and got the ok.

So a month in having it I have issues with a valve cover gasket and missfire on a spark plug so today I replaced both valve cover gaskets, manifold gasket, air filter, oil and oil filter change, spark plugs, spark plug wires, pc valve, distributor cap and rotor. So the car was feeling better now it was running even better than before. Till it staled out on me at a local Conns parking lot. The starter wouldn't click or the engine turn and I tried to jump it and no five. So luckily my girlfriend has a Nissan Titan n towed it for me to the mechanic. He jump starts the car n its alive again! He checks the voltage on the alternator n says I need a new one. The alternator was throwing 13v when according to my mechanic its suppose to throw 14v. So I get a refurbished alternator and it gets replaced. The car comes alive again n I head to work, at this time I'm happy :)... So I just love being in my car n starting it LOL that I decide to check out if everything is ok so far. So I get in and try to start it and IT WOULDN'T START!!! This time it attempts to start, I hear the engine turning, and I could hear the starter tapping but no ignition. So I try it again and it seems that every attempt I try it gets to the point to where the engine won't even turn and I can't even hear my starter tap. So I'm back to square one again. So luckily I have my old G and I bring the battery of the DE to autozone, keep in mind I have an Optima Red top on the DE. The Autozone worker says the battery is good so now I'm worried..... What could it be? I'm starting to think that my old alternator was good after all and I really needed a starter to begin with... Please help guys I don't have many options I got this car AS IS. I'm already broke with all the money I put in it already. Thanks

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk

oakrdrs187
03-02-2012, 12:28 AM
Sounds like your starter. Whatever you do, do not go with an AutoZone starter they are shit. When mine went I replaced it with one and since then exchanged it 4 times. Once I swapped it with in a month. Even with the new ones the starter grinds and makes noises like it skips, and often I have to tap it because it seizes up.
Im tired of the POS, saving up for OEM.
BTW DE didnt come with leather. Probably swapped interior.

drm3613
03-02-2012, 12:42 AM
Yea I think its a gtz edition. Has tan leather, burgandy exterior, infinity package, etc... Hmmm well I bought a starter from O'Reilly for my 2.4l and I never had an issue with it plus life time warranty. How much is it for the OEM?

drm3613
03-02-2012, 12:45 AM
Also what do you or any body know about the voltage on the alternator? Is it what my mechanic said correct? Need to know if I really needed the alternator or starter... Maybe both? Thx for the help

oakrdrs187
03-02-2012, 03:08 AM
Well 13 is a bit low, but it does show the alternator running. You don't necessarily have to be at 14 at idle.

drm3613
03-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Sounds fair. I just got back to work right now where my car is at and I started hitting my starter. It sounded like it wanted to crank up till smoke started coming out of it. I took a closer look at it n I saw that all the oil that was dripping off the valve cover made a thick layer over it. I believe that might be the culprit. I wonder if I remove the starter and give it a good clean if it might work again but even then I still think I need a new one

oakrdrs187
03-02-2012, 02:31 PM
Might as well replace it if your are removing it. Fix/Check that leaky gasket too.

drm3613
03-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Gasket is good now bro it was replaced now :) just all the oil that was leaking before gave it the issues. Fixing to spend the night at work so they won't tow my ride... Sucks :( fixing it in the morning

drm3613
03-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Yup replaced the starter n she's alive again. Man had this car towed twice to get it to work. I learn the hard way as usual sadly

Dominicano
03-04-2012, 08:47 PM
That happened to me as well the oil was leaking through the valve cover right on the starter and it seized on me. Glad u got this worked out.

specter6633
03-05-2012, 11:49 AM
glad u got it working bro.

Reelax
03-05-2012, 03:20 PM
umm the DE also didn't come w/ V6 so i don't think you have a DE. if it's a v6 w/ original leather, it could be a ESV6, LS, or GTZ... the obvious giveaway to the DE is the external antenna as the DE is the only trim to have that while the es and up versions had integrated rear window radio antennas.

drm3613
03-06-2012, 11:34 PM
umm the DE also didn't come w/ V6 so i don't think you have a DE. if it's a v6 w/ original leather, it could be a ESV6, LS, or GTZ... the obvious giveaway to the DE is the external antenna as the DE is the only trim to have that while the es and up versions had integrated rear window radio antennas.

Yea man my fault it is an LS sorry getting used to my new ride n thanks for the help again! Just now the oil that dripped down is causing all this smoke kind of embarrassing considering I'm the only one that can tell lol. Im hoping its not a head gasket issue!!! Made a thread about this as well hope its not a worst case scenario

drm3613
03-06-2012, 11:37 PM
That happened to me as well the oil was leaking through the valve cover right on the starter and it seized on me. Glad u got this worked out.

Yea man it got to the point to where it wouldn't even click or make a sound. Got it checked at Oreilly and the computer said its all good but he said it didn't sound good. He showed me what a good starter sounded like and all I was thinking was man stupid technology at these auto parts stores!!! They really need an upgrade seriously...