PDA

View Full Version : 2000 GTZ overdrive issue

skally
03-02-2012, 07:33 AM
Greetings everyone!

Just bought a 2000 Galant GTZ with 125K miles on it. I noticed that when I drive on the highway it doesn't shift into overdrive. The car is at about 4000rpm at 70mph.

The transmission shifts smoothly otherwise, just overdrive appears to be malfunctioning.

Any suggestions?

oakrdrs187
03-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Do you have a check engine light?

M-Rod
03-02-2012, 11:34 AM
The CEL may not even appear for a transmission fault. Its best to have your car scanned with a real scanner because it will find faults that a code reader won't. I'm willing to bet a scanner will find a fault with a solenoid circuit.

skally
03-02-2012, 01:12 PM
No CEL.

Looked at the A/T module in the fuse box under the hood, not sure if it's good or bad, appeared okay. Tried removing the negative battery cable to reset the computer to no avail. Tranny fluid is full but needs to be changed.

Taking it to my mechanic to get the timing belt changed. Just hoping I didn't buy someone else's problem.

Most my research seems to point toward the solenoid, how bad does that hurt the wallet?

skally
03-03-2012, 10:42 PM
I've found a ton of info about 7G Galants having this issue, usually seems to be due to the end clutch. However I can't find anything on 8G Galants.

Does my car have an overdrive button I don't know about?

oakrdrs187
03-04-2012, 02:12 AM
8G didn't come with the O/D button.

Corey2kG
03-04-2012, 02:49 AM
Well once upon a time I had a Mitsu Expo. n as soon as it hit the last gear (OD) it didn't accelerate past 40ish. It turned out the sensor on the tranny for the OD was bad. Maybe your issue could be that. IDK if our tranny has said sensor but it doesn't hurt to check that.

oakrdrs187
03-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Well once upon a time I had a Mitsu Expo.

Did you live happily ever after....Lol!!

tamim13
03-04-2012, 02:02 PM
No CEL.

Looked at the A/T module in the fuse box under the hood, not sure if it's good or bad, appeared okay. Tried removing the negative battery cable to reset the computer to no avail. Tranny fluid is full but needs to be changed.

Taking it to my mechanic to get the timing belt changed. Just hoping I didn't buy someone else's problem.

Most my research seems to point toward the solenoid, how bad does that hurt the wallet?

I've replaced all the solenoids in my transmission, before I finally gave up and bought a new transmission. They are not expensive, maybe around $30-40 each. Try changing your Transmission Fluid with the correct Mitsu fluid and not aftermarket and see if that helps.