PDA

View Full Version : Smoke, smoke, smoke...

drm3613
03-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Well as posted in my last thread I replaced my two valve cover gaskets on my V6. I noticed smoke was coming out from under the motor. My mechanic says its just all the oil that dripped down during the valve cover gasket replacement process (Personaly I think he could have done a better job avoiding that issue but he charged me a great deal so I couldn't pass it up). Told me to get an engine degreaser and wash off everything I could periodicaly to remove all the oil spilled and I did what was told, and of course I cover all electrical components... So anyways I just went synthetic on my G :) and everything works great! Just that I got home tonight and I saw a bit more smoke than usual coming out! I changed out the gaskets last Tuesday and my car was fine the past 2 days, little to no smoke, till tonight when I saw a little more than usual. Mechanic says if I still have that issue he can tighten the valve covers a bit more if I still am leaking, he just doesn't want to damage the gaskets by overtightening them. Should I keep cleaning my motor? Or could I possibly have a head gasket issue?!?!?! There's no smoke coming out the muffler FYI... Comments, ideas, and thoughts are appreciated!

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk

Dominicano
03-06-2012, 11:30 PM
Slide your fingers under the valve cover see if its leaking? some times if the covers are over tighten it will warp it, valve cover are very thing or the gasket was not sitting flat when it was being put on that happens a lot as well.

drm3613
03-06-2012, 11:41 PM
I've been checking the covers and the front one seems fine its just the rear cover I can't visibly see,V6!!! And yea that's what the mechanic was explaining to me as well. Seems like its coming from the back thought but not to sure. Sorry for the noob question but what are warning signs for a faulty head gasket?

oakrdrs187
03-07-2012, 03:49 AM
Could be the exhaust manifold hasnt burned off all of what go on it.

drm3613
03-07-2012, 08:06 AM
I really hope that's all though I really don't want to pay more for a head gasket fix.... And I definitely dont want to get rid of my G already put so much money into her

Dominicano
03-07-2012, 08:47 AM
I've been checking the covers and the front one seems fine its just the rear cover I can't visibly see,V6!!! And yea that's what the mechanic was explaining to me as well. Seems like its coming from the back thought but not to sure. Sorry for the noob question but what are warning signs for a faulty head gasket?

your a V6 or I4, sucks for the v6 cause you have to remove the plenum to change it but you should be able to get some fingers in there or use a stick with paper on the end to see if you can get anything.

drm3613
03-08-2012, 11:53 PM
V6 and yea man sucks can't see anything except the sides on the rear valve gasket. Lol stick and paper I guess I'm going caveman tomorrow

oakrdrs187
03-09-2012, 12:21 AM
Head gasket would smoke at the tail pipe.

drm3613
03-09-2012, 11:13 PM
So I parked my car today and noticed the smoke. So I look under my car n notice all the smoke is coming from one of the plates covering the pipe on the cat converter. Shows 4 screws n bolts I wonder if that will b a hassle removing that plate to clean thoroughly... Anyone try removing this plate?

mko
03-09-2012, 11:42 PM
Valve cover gaskets are sealed with gray RTV from factory. If there was no RTV used when the gaskets were replaced, it will leak again eventually

drm3613
03-12-2012, 01:11 AM
Great info MKO I know he used a seal but I'm not sure what kind he used... I must ask him what he used. Man I should have looked into it more before replacing them

ALCALA
09-23-2012, 04:38 PM
hey guys quick question. im trying to put the valve cover back on my v6 but it doesnt want to sit down all the way. I cant get the gasket rom the top of the spark plugs to clear down all the way. if i start to put the cover from the back first it will fit fine but i cant bolt it down from the front. Any ideas?