PDA

View Full Version : 4g74 TB swap help!

OMEGA PHX
03-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Hey guys I have a 5spd 4g64 8g. I recently did the diamante TB swap, I had all the sensors on the TB when I bought it and I haven't adjusted the tps, so I wired the IAC pigtail, the car started all good, the TB cable had a little more slack than with the stock TB so I adjusted the cable to have no slack, I have adjusted the tb screw to 750-800 rpms.

The gas pedal feels a stiffer than before but that doesn't bother me that much, the thing is that there a point when stepping steadily on the gas pedal that the rpms are increasing really fast but the car doesn't feel like its accelerating or pulling, the I step on the gas a little more and then it pulls.
Honestly I wasn't expecting anything but it really feels like I lost.

I hope I explained myself enough for you to understand the problem and expect your suggestions, thanks in advance.

deeznutz
03-08-2012, 12:14 PM
First things first there should have been no reason to touch the idle screw at all... It sounds like the cable is on too much of an angle and snagging up either from where it comes out of the shielding or it's not properly on the half moon guide on the t/b itself.

OMEGA PHX
03-08-2012, 06:39 PM
I'll try to recheck everything, I had to fight with cable to get it on, to my knowledge the cable is mounted properly but will re check everything, and about the idle screw don't know i bought it from another user and I though the rpms where a little too high

deeznutz
03-08-2012, 07:50 PM
I'll try to recheck everything, I had to fight with cable to get it on, to my knowledge the cable is mounted properly but will re check everything, and about the idle screw don't know i bought it from another user and I though the rpms where a little too high

what manafold are you using

OMEGA PHX
03-08-2012, 08:36 PM
what manafold are you using

stock 4g64

OMEGA PHX
03-19-2012, 07:06 PM
cable isn't kinked, or on a weird angle,
still the same rpms rise fast but no power no acceleration, doesn't feel normal.
also at first I let the car idle for a couple of minutes then I press the gas pedal and rpms started to go up and down up and down continuously, like
1000rpms->800rpms, 1000rpms->800rpms and I had to turn off the car ad wait a little and it went away.

Don't know what to do thinking about taking it out.

OMEGA PHX
03-22-2012, 01:16 AM
I tightened the clamps from the intake adjusted the tb cable a little and it feels much better or i'm just getting used to it.

Also adjusted the clutch pedal and the car feels awesome again, i don't know why i always adjust the pedal but after a week or so it goes back to feeling like shit.

suad618
04-10-2012, 05:15 PM
where can i get that TB for my 4g64 and what kind of gains in power and throthle response are you getting ?

thanks

Black8GV6
04-10-2012, 05:37 PM
where can i get that TB for my 4g64 and what kind of gains in power and throthle response are you getting ?

thanks

try http://www.car-part.com/ and http://www.partshotlines.com/ , the I4 galants swap the stock I4 throttle body for the V6 galant throttle body and they swap the stock I4 Intake manifold for the outlander I4 intake manifold. Just do some searching on this site, someone has usually already done what you want to do.

For power gains, I have no clue.

OMEGA PHX
05-16-2012, 12:38 AM
I'm still having some problems after the TB and AEM Short ram install, the thing is that there a point when stepping steadily on the gas pedal that the rpms are increasing really fast but the car isn't accelerating or going faster, I step on the gas a little more and then it pulls and accelerates.

Another thing is that when the A/C is ON the car wants to stall whenever I come to a complete stop, if I turn OFF the A/C it doesn't do it anymore. No battery light comes on to make me think it is the alty and the batt is new.

Everything started after the tb swap and intake install.

Hope you guys can think of something or have had some similar problems and fixed them.

Isaurio
05-16-2012, 08:56 AM
What is your tps % the 74 needs to be around 13.33 to 14.1%. Rember tb % is calculated by the pcm to adjust the afr. You got the stock settings. You need a tune my friend. You should not have adjusted the screw. Even of you bring the idle up and down with the screw the pcm will still try to readjust to stock idle rpm. About 720 rpm. If you lower the screw open or closed you will mess with the iac settings. Iac adjust increase idle when is need it. For power sterring, and a/c also at cold start. It open and close to let more air in or decrease air going to the intake mani at idle. Thats why you stall when A/C is on because the screw is too closed.

If rpm is too high you should lowered the tps, % not the screw.

Rach3T8G
05-16-2012, 09:32 AM
This is good info!

OMEGA PHX
05-16-2012, 10:45 AM
What is your tps % the 74 needs to be around 13.33 to 14.1%. Rember tb % is calculated by the pcm to adjust the afr. You got the stock settings. You need a tune my friend. You should not have adjusted the screw. Even of you bring the idle up and down with the screw the pcm will still try to readjust to stock idle rpm. About 720 rpm. If you lower the screw open or closed you will mess with the iac settings. Iac adjust increase idle when is need it. For power sterring, and a/c also at cold start. It open and close to let more air in or decrease air going to the intake mani at idle. Thats why you stall when A/C is on because the screw is too closed.

If rpm is too high you should lowered the tps, % not the screw.

I didn't know anything about that, to get the TPS % I need a OBDII scanner or evoscan right?

I'll open the screw little and see how the car behaves. Thanks for the info.

Would you know why the car does the other thing about rpms rising fast but no acceleration? It started when I did the TB swap also.

Rach3T8G
05-16-2012, 05:52 PM
If you have an android phone get the torque app. You'll be able to see the TPS %.

Sent from my rooted 3VO using Tapatalk.

Isaurio
05-16-2012, 08:58 PM
I didn't know anything about that, to get the TPS % I need a OBDII scanner or evoscan right?

I'll open the screw little and see how the car behaves. Thanks for the info.

Would you know why the car does the other thing about rpms rising fast but no acceleration? It started when I did the TB swap also.

Are you 5speed or auto?

Rach3T8G
05-16-2012, 09:57 PM
He's 5spd

OMEGA PHX
05-16-2012, 10:11 PM
He's 5spd

Yep

Isaurio
05-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Check your tps readings. I got mine at 13.333% i have no problems. Try 14.1% let it idle for 7 min.

OMEGA PHX
05-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Check your tps readings. I got mine at 13.333% i have no problems. Try 14.1% let it idle for 7 min.

With what or how do I measure it?

Rach3T8G
05-17-2012, 01:16 PM
You need a scan tool, tactrix cable, or the torque app to see the %. The % changes as you adjust the TPS on the TB. Just loosen the bolts holding the TPS a little bit & twist either to the left or right to adjust.

OMEGA PHX
05-29-2012, 03:39 PM
So I played with the screw, and tightened the couplers of the intake and it doesn't wants to stall anymore, feels really good.

And I bought a OBD II bluetooth adapter to use with Torque app, I can read the speed and temps and fault codes, but RPM appears to be off by 100rpms from the cluster and the Throttle Position reading stays at 0% at idle and moves only when i get on the gas pedal, so it isn't reading it correctly so I need another scanner to adjust the tps %.

Feels really good except for the rising RPMS but no actual acceleration. I think it only happens at 1st gear.

there a point when stepping steadily on the gas pedal that the rpms are increasing really fast but the car isn't accelerating or going faster, I step on the gas a little more and then it pulls and accelerates.

bgood12
05-29-2012, 03:46 PM
I'm not sure if u will need new iac for the swap just check part numbers on a mitsu parts page, but. Also I had my stock iac lose som wires to age and while temps were hot my car ran when backing off he screw, but the second fall/winter hit my car would stall a lot and on turns so I eventually found the broken wires and made a harness. Long story short check iac.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

OMEGA PHX
07-06-2012, 08:41 PM
Got a tactrix 2.0 and evoscan, Throttle Position is 12.5% idle is at 718 Rpms, the car still wants to stall when the ac is on, I'll try tomorrow to clean the IAC with the appropriate electronics cleaner and will try to adjust the TPS to 13.33 or 14.1 as Isaurio suggested.

Isaurio
07-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Also open up the idle screw a bit. U will see idle will increase after 14 min idle it will adjust it self. The 74 is a v6 more air coming in, the idle screw is adjusted by mitsu for v6. U put the 74 to 4 banger not a lot of air been pull. So you need to open up the idle screw to compensate for the missing 2 cylinder.

If you have the stock tb. DO NOT MESS WITH THE IDLE SCREW. This only works with guys that are doing the 74 tb swap.

OMEGA PHX
07-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Cleaned the IAC, and I'm logging right now:

Idle AC [off]....... TPS is at 12.15% and Rpms are between 781 and 812.

Idle AC [on] ........TPS is @ 12.15% and Rpms are between 687 and 718. Periodically it goes to 812 and sounds really smooth then goes back to 718.

Disconnected the batt to the cleaning so I don't know if I should wait a little before adjusting the TPS or the idle screw.

Isaurio
07-10-2012, 06:04 PM
You will have no change bro. You can not just swap a tb from a another car and expect to work smooth. Automotive engineers makes every parts specially the fuel to air parts down to the money. It works with the pcm at all times, its call check and balance. The TB got the v6 configuration and the PCM got the 4 banger configuration. You do the Math and see what happens.

OMEGA PHX
07-10-2012, 06:29 PM
You will have no change bro. You can not just swap a tb from a another car and expect to work smooth. Automotive engineers makes every parts specially the fuel to air parts down to the money. It works with the pcm at all times, its call check and balance. The TB got the v6 configuration and the PCM got the 4 banger configuration. You do the Math and see what happens.

Remember all I'm trying fix is the issue that it wants to stall when the AC is on, tomorrow I'll adjust the TPS to 13.3% and that should fix my problem, or do i just need a tune?

Isaurio
07-10-2012, 07:11 PM
It should help the problem. You have to play with it.

OMEGA PHX
07-24-2012, 05:18 PM
Switched my 6g74 tb with another one I bought, adjusted the TPS to ~13.33% disconnected the battery and let it idle and its doing this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWA4vnqgO0Y&feature=youtu.be

deeznutz
07-24-2012, 06:25 PM
My v6 freaked out just like that before it worked itself out before I even got a chance to check it out, put some mileage on the car now that you've reset the PCM.

Ooh and don't you owe me some pics???

Isaurio
07-24-2012, 07:06 PM
That also look like a vacuum leak. What intake mani u using. Check the gasket make sure u did not put it backwards.

OMEGA PHX
07-24-2012, 07:15 PM
My v6 freaked out just like that before it worked itself out before I even got a chance to check it out, put some mileage on the car now that you've reset the PCM.

Ooh and don't you owe me some pics???

That also look like a vacuum leak. What intake mani u using. Check the gasket make sure u did not put it backwards.

Went outside to check it out again started the car and everything seems ok, I know the gasket is tricky but I got it right.

And I'll post a pic now

deeznutz
07-24-2012, 09:12 PM
So it's ideling fine now?

OMEGA PHX
07-24-2012, 10:15 PM
So it's ideling fine now?

It was idling fine and not doing what it was doing in the vid I'll try again tomorrow.

Rach3T8G
09-03-2012, 01:26 AM
I finally did the swap last night. After adjusting the idle a couple times, it still isn't perfect but it's better than what it was. My TPS % is at 7, timing advance is at 10 degrees (thought it was supposed to be at 12), LTFT 0%, STFT -1%. It idles somewhat smooth but bogs at low speeds. Upper RPM range is smooth.

OMEGA PHX
09-03-2012, 06:39 AM
In my case, im still fighting with fluctuating idle as in the video i posted some time ago, but it only happens when the ac is off, I idle at1000 rpm hight i know, but when the car is at normal temp it does it. Don't know what else to do.

Rach3T8G
09-03-2012, 05:14 PM
My idle fluctuates as well but its not as noticeable. Just don't know why it bogs at low speeds. 2k rpm in the first few gears it bogs.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Isaurio
10-06-2012, 07:54 AM
My idle fluctuates as well but its not as noticeable. Just don't know why it bogs at low speeds. 2k rpm in the first few gears it bogs.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Tps % are wrong, needs to be at 13.333% not 7%. And vacuum line on top of the tb needs to be cross.

If you look at the 64 tb and diamante tb u will notice the vacuum ports are on a different side making the suction come out in a different port.

OMEGA PHX
10-06-2012, 08:32 AM
I didn't know about those lines, Wow just found your pic doing research for the IM swap

OMEGA PHX
10-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Update:

So I've been driving the car around with what I think is a cracked IM since I can hear a hissing around the back of the manifold, the car idles pretty smooth at 1000 rpms with the idle screw closed all the way, I know its horrible and mpgs are worse.

So yesterday I saw this pic:
http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww267/isaurio/d71d93b2-1.jpg
And said damn all this time and nobody had mentioned that we needed to cross the lines when swapping the 6g74 tb (I found out not looking for it, and on the tb swap thread nobody says anything or I didn't see it), so I go out and switch them and now it's like misfiring and idling really rough. I can't be sure to me this means that when crossed they are correct but since I have a cracked manny then its idles like that.

So I am gonna leave them un crossed since its driveable and the engine doesn't sound as bad, and then swap them at the same time I do my IM.

Looks blurry as f*ck but you get the idea

t8-TC8NCJWA

finald8ta
10-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Update:

So I've been driving the car around with what I think is a cracked IM since I can hear a hissing around the back of the manifold, the car idles pretty smooth at 1000 rpms with the idle screw closed all the way, I know its horrible and mpgs are worse.

So yesterday I saw this pic:
http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww267/isaurio/d71d93b2-1.jpg
And said damn all this time and nobody had mentioned that we needed to cross the lines when swapping the 6g74 tb (I found out not looking for it, and on the tb swap thread nobody says anything or I didn't see it), so I go out and switch them and now it's like misfiring and idling really rough. I can't be sure to me this means that when crossed they are correct but since I have a cracked manny then its idles like that.

So I am gonna leave them un crossed since its driveable and the engine doesn't sound as bad, and then swap them at the same time I do my IM.

Looks blurry as f*ck but you get the idea

t8-TC8NCJWA

you only cross the lines over if you have the outlander intake w/ its egr system, the egr system is abit different compared to the stock egr systems that come stock.

i have the outlander intake, and 6g72 TB, and i have my lines crossed, and she runs great, still needs a tune,
as for the 74 TB and outlander mani, im not sure if you need the lines crossed,

i

OMEGA PHX
10-06-2012, 04:34 PM
you only cross the lines over if you have the outlander intake w/ its egr system, the egr system is abit different compared to the stock egr systems that come stock.

Shit but in the thread that I saw that pic it said that galant and outlander were the same and that the diamante tb's were different lol so much info diferrent info all over

finald8ta
10-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Shit but in the thread that I saw that pic it said that galant and outlander were the same and that the diamante tb's were different lol so much info diferrent info all over

Correct me if im worng, i chose the 72 tb ( got it cheap),

the TB are different, and the outlander has a bigger TB witch is the same as the v6,

finald8ta
10-06-2012, 04:47 PM
i just read the entire thread, if you intake is crack then the car is not going to run right because you have un metered air coming in, get a new intake mani and try again.

OMEGA PHX
10-06-2012, 06:09 PM
i just read the entire thread, if you intake is crack then the car is not going to run right because you have un metered air coming in, get a new intake mani and try again.

Lol and you think I don't know that, thats why I said on previous posts that I'm swapping a outlander IM, but I've been having problems way before the cracked manny

finald8ta
10-06-2012, 11:54 PM
i was drunk at the time...

Isaurio
10-08-2012, 07:15 PM
^ line cross with the outlander mani only. Since the evap and egr system are different path.

If u having issue with the stock intake mani and the 74 tb check any vacuum leaks. Also check the iac pig tail wires are correct. Also check the tb gasket is not put the wrong way. U put a 74 gasket right?

OMEGA PHX
10-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Ok got it, I'm doing my outlander IM swap on thursday so that should fix everything.

IAC pigtail wires I'm 100% sure they are correct since I did them carefully and one wire at a time to be sure everything was correct

I'm also sure the gasket is how it should be I've installed it a few times and when you see it there's no other logical way to install it.

Thanks for the info, I'll update the thread once the IM is installed.

Rach3T8G
10-08-2012, 08:59 PM
I had a vacuum leak using just the 74TB gasket so im using both the 64&74 gaskets. My 64TB gasket is made of a metallic material while the 74TB gasket was just thin paper.

OMEGA PHX
10-08-2012, 10:00 PM
I had a vacuum leak using just the 74TB gasket so im using both the 64&74 gaskets. My 64TB gasket is made of a metallic material while the 74TB gasket was just thin paper.

My 74 gasket is oem and is made of that thin metal its sealing great but my manny is cracked so thats my main problem right now

Rach3T8G
10-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Did you get your gasket from the dealer?

OMEGA PHX
10-08-2012, 10:11 PM
yep, cost me like $8

OMEGA PHX
11-23-2012, 02:58 PM
P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected
Have this code what to do, change the EGR valve?