PDA

View Full Version : Rear end CLUNK

skally
03-12-2012, 01:13 AM
Out of the blue today my drivers side rear started making a horrendous clunking noise when going over bumps. Sounds like there's a gremlin in my trunk banging on the wheel well with a hammer with every bump I hit.

I also get the sound when pushing down on the suspension on the driver's rear.

My thought is the shock is bad. Anyone else with similar experiences?

foxbrand
03-12-2012, 09:19 AM
sound very much like a dead sway bar link, does it clunk more turning one direction (while going over a bump) compared to another?

tamim13
03-12-2012, 10:18 AM
I know this might sound stupid, but one of the most common reasons this happens is, when there's something loose in the trunk. If you have had a flat tire recently and have swapped out your spare, check if everything is tight in there. It might not be this at all, but it's always better to start simple.

skally
03-12-2012, 01:41 PM
I appreciate the trunk suggestion, already checked that out. You can definitely hear it in the suspension when pushing on the drivers rear suspension.

Tried some aggressive wheel work while driving and it didn't seem to change anything. Need to tear it apart and check it out tonight. Just hoping it rang a bell with someone.

wetamup2k3g
03-12-2012, 06:56 PM
I had a clunking noise in the same place, over bumps it was very persistent. I think it was the control arm ball joint. The shock bolt broke while I was driving and I had that and the end links replaced (found I coulda did them myself, next time I will) and the noise was still there, it didn't affect driving too much so I let it go, then the car got totaled so I never investigated it further. I could kick the trailing end of the tire and hear the noise.

troubled4g64t
03-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Could be as simple as the shock bottoming out how many miles in the car.

skally
03-12-2012, 11:08 PM
Found the culprit!

The top shock mount rusted through and broke. The shock was just rattling around at the top without anything holding it.

So...two new mounts and shocks ordered.