PDA

View Full Version : Changing Transmission Fluid

Jesse
07-31-2002, 10:22 AM
I'm going to buy the GM Synchromesh to change my tranny fluid. I've never done this before so can anyone give me some good instructions?

I have a 95 S m/t.

Thanks

pinoyesv6
07-31-2002, 10:34 AM
found this on the web

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Many DSMers end up using Redline MTL, BG Synchroshift or GM Synchromesh in their transmissions. Â*All of these fluids have the same purpose - to increase friction, just as the Mitsu fluid modifier is intended to do. Â*Most owners report at least some improvement with the new fluids, but most experience significantly better shifting. Opinions and experiences vary. Â*

Recent experience suggests that Redline MTL gains in shifting performance by sacrificing synchro longevity. This is not exactly news, but more and more owners are reporting this problem with MTL now that there are alternative fluids available. Many owners considered the tradeoff to be well worth it. However, more people are now recommending a mix of Redline MTL with MT-90 gear oil, to combat both problems at once. Â*</div>

you might want to consider investing in a service manual. it teaches u how to do it. has pictures, gives part numbers and gives u the torque specs too

jluv97
07-31-2002, 10:34 AM
Drop the tranny pan, clean it really good. Then flush the system with water till it comes through clean. Once you are done replace the pan and fill it up.

Big H Killa
07-31-2002, 10:51 AM
Pinoy werer did you get that quote from

pinoyesv6
07-31-2002, 10:58 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Big H Killa)</div><div class='quotemain'>Pinoy werer did you get that quote from</div>

here (http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q/keywords.htm)

Jesse
07-31-2002, 11:01 AM
drop the pan. Then do I remove a cap or plug or something? Isn't there a filter I should change as well?

They don't make a chiltons or anything for the 7g, at least not that I've found. I've looked at every local parts store and did a search on the internet and couldn't find one.

Big H Killa
07-31-2002, 11:18 AM
Didn't manybrews always preach about not using any tranny fluid but mitsubishis

jluv97
07-31-2002, 11:30 AM
if memory serves me correctly the cap is on the pan.

MitsuMan
07-31-2002, 11:47 AM
i had mine changed at jiffy lube, the car runs alittle funny now, like when i slow down it feels like the car has trouble stayin in gear is slows down really fast, like it never left first gear

Jesse
07-31-2002, 12:30 PM
hmm....anyone care to make a tutorial, I'm sure many will find it helpful

pinoyesv6
07-31-2002, 10:59 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jesse)</div><div class='quotemain'>hmm....anyone care to make a tutorial, I'm sure many will find it helpful</div>

thanks 4 volunteering urself https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_biggrin.gif

Big H Killa
08-01-2002, 08:22 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jesse)</div><div class='quotemain'>hmm....anyone care to make a tutorial, I'm sure many will find it helpful</div>

thanks 4 volunteering urself https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_biggrin.gif</div>

Haha you stuck now jesse.

Jesse
08-01-2002, 08:30 AM
damn, ok, well when I get around to it I will, but it might not be very soon, I have some car audio stuff to finish first.

BassmanLN
08-01-2002, 10:23 AM
my 96 has 106k and i dont think its ever had the tranny fluid changed. my dads had this car since new and he gave it to me. i asked him about it and he said he never got it done, but he also said you start having problems when you get your fluid changed..where could i take it to get it done without things getting messed up?

pinoyesv6
08-01-2002, 10:34 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BassmanLN)</div><div class='quotemain'>my 96 has 106k and i dont think its ever had the tranny fluid changed. my dads had this car since new and he gave it to me. i asked him about it and he said he never got it done, but he also said you start having problems when you get your fluid changed..where could i take it to get it done without things getting messed up?</div>

106k on your car with the original tranny? with no flushing...i'd forget about the flushing and worry about getting a new tranny. chances are your tranny is dicked and you just don't know it.

problems can occur when changeing your tranny fluid. i mean thats when u find out that u got metal shaving in your tranny fluid etc etc. but if you do it regularly and correctly, you can extend the life of your tranny

BassmanLN
08-01-2002, 11:03 AM
they are mostly highway miles, he drove it from here to ohio like every week when it was new, thats why i have so many miles. the tranny works fine, and im gonan run it till it doesnt cuz i dont have the money to get a new one! (but when it does crap out, im gonna switch to manual)

flipz_ny79
08-05-2002, 04:40 PM
:idea: As far as for my 96 (automatic). There is two drain plugs, one on the transaxle and one on tranny fluid pan. Remove the 2 plugs and let all the fluid drain out. Then remove the tranny fluid pan, theres a filter in the pan. When I bought my filter it came with the new gaskets for the pan. Replace the filter and reinstall the pan. Its pretty simple. I would then run some tranny fluid in there to flush it out. But I would preffer to get mine done at a tranny shop coz they use a hydraulic pump to flush the system out. Just my preference. Either way would work. Then just put the plugs back in,with a torque of 22-25 ft lbs. And filler up at the dip stick port.
By the way they have the chiltons for the 7g. Napa carries them, or they can order them for ya. I got one

Dark Anghell
08-26-2002, 01:16 PM
If youhaven't changed the fluid yet here's the tutorial (straight from repair manual):
Manual transmition:
MAKE SURE CAR IS LEVEL!!!
1. There should be 2 plugs. One all the way on the bottom. This is the drain plug. Second plug is where you put the fluid. That plug is located on the side of the transmition.
2. After you have located the two plugs, undo the drain plug and let all of the fluid leak out of the tranny.
3. After all the fluid is out, tighten the plug to 22ft. lbs.
4. Undo the filler plug and fill it up with transmition fluid it should be around 2.2 quarts. Pretty much as soon as the fluid is level with the filler hole, you're good to go.
5. Close the filler hole, and tighten the bolt to 22ft. lbs
6. You're done!!!

Automatic transmition:
1. There are two drain plugs...one for transaxle and the second for the differential (some galants don't have one)
2. Undo the transaxle plug, which is located right on the pan. Let all the fluid lear out.
3. Tighten the plug to 22-25ft. lbs
4. Undo the differential plug and do the same thing as in steps 2 and 3.
5. Fill the transaxle to the proper level through the dip-stick opening. (non GS owners need to put about 6.3 quarts. Check with the dip-stick periodically though)
6. Start the car. Apply the brake and begin shifting through all of the gears for about 5 min.
7. Return the selector back to park and check the fluid once again.
8. You're done.

Hopefuly this helps out a lot of people https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Jesse
08-26-2002, 01:46 PM
Pavel, you just went up on my list of favorite peeps. That was extremely helpful. I can't get a hold a repair manual cuz none of the 7 local shops have it for my car, damn losers. Well, I'm going to use that tutorial to help me, I'm also going to change the filter.

Thanks

Jesse