PDA

View Full Version : Radiator(?) Leak

ngwylie
03-17-2012, 12:37 PM
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/5148/120317002.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/580/120317002.jpg/)

This is part of the radiator, right?

Was randomly looking under hood this morning after driving and saw the sizzling.

What's the cheapest way to fix this... some type of patch right?

I know I saw another thread about a radiator leak problem and everyone said to replace rather than patching, but the leak was in a bad spot... this seems like an easy area to work with.

Thanks
Nick

master_visionary
03-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Even if its a hairline fracture replace it patches are temporary and a weak spot. Replace the hoses as well if they are worn. Cooling is to critical to half ass

IMO at least

ngwylie
03-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Ok, thanks for your opinion.

Any others?

I understand that a patch won't work for a long time.. but it should for a few weeks at least right?

Black8GV6
03-17-2012, 01:45 PM
REPLACE it, it's a $150 part (I got an all metal one) that will save your entire engine. My galant and eclipse both had the same hairline crack and the radiator is easy to replace. Your radiator is under pressure when your car is on so the crack is only going to get bigger.

ngwylie
03-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Ok. I guess I'll have to look into it... I found some around 110$ (non ebay).. ebay was like 50$ but not trusting that.

I just looked at it again and lifted up the small tube... there's a good amount of fluid that has leaked out, and I can't even see any fluid in the coolant... so I guess I need to fill that ASAP.

Never done that before though. Can it just be refilled or does it have to be flushed or?

Black8GV6
03-17-2012, 01:56 PM
Always keep a bottle of the 50/50 coolant or some distilled water( no mineral deposits with distilled) when driving around with a cracked radiator, always check the fluid level before you start your car until you get it fixed.

ngwylie
03-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Well at the moment I'm not overheating at all... normal temps. 50/50 coolant means 50% water 50% antifreeze? And I can just pour it into the coolant valve?

ngwylie
03-17-2012, 03:05 PM
Oh nevermind. So this,

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/AutoZone-50-50-antifreeze-and-coolant/_/N-25ha?itemIdentifier=540721_0_0_

and I just pour it in?

oakrdrs187
03-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Replace your radiator ASAP. Don't try to use JB Weld, it doesn't hold (not even a few weeks). This is a critical part for your car is not like having a bad 02 sensor that you can ignore until it's smog time. You're in Vegas area, this time of year weather is warming up, get the a replacement from an auto parts store and try it out yourself, there is a HOW TO: on the site.

ngwylie
03-17-2012, 05:33 PM
Well...

I just got back home. I filled it up with some antifreeze (didn't end up losing much at all).

I also bought

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/ITW-Performance-Polymers-25-ml-syringe-off-white-15-min-plastic-welding-system/_/N-25y6?itemIdentifier=417325_0_0_

I just finished putting it on... read some reviews about it and wanted to try it out =/ hope it holds for now. It claims it's different and better than a normal type of epoxy like JB Weld.

wetamup2k3g
03-17-2012, 07:42 PM
In the end, the radiator is just gonna crack somewhere else in a short time if it has cracked already. That's with the assumption that the epoxy will hold forever in that spot, it probably won't. The plastic part of the radiator is getting older and brittle with the heat cycles it sees, it's developing hairline cracks, it's only gonna get worse, you'll be chasing leaks forever, which is why most of us will tell you to replace the radiator.

At any rate, stay on top of it, check your coolant everyday, watch that temp gauge, and should you try to replace the radiator, it's really easy, I speak from experience. I changed mine with no help and no guides (left the Haynes in the house) and got it done in a couple hours working at a relaxed pace. Good luck!!

ngwylie
03-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Yeah I understand. Will be saving for a replacement.

I have very little experience working on my car... Would a noobie be able to change it?

ngwylie
03-17-2012, 07:46 PM
I just did a quick skim on ehow about how to do it... I don't know if I really want to take the chances of not doing it correctly lol. How many hours does a professional usually charge? I'm hoping they will charge 100-150 for radiator, 1 - 2 hours labor?

wetamup2k3g
03-17-2012, 08:01 PM
Yeah I understand. Will be saving for a replacement.

I have very little experience working on my car... Would a noobie be able to change it?

Oh yeah!! A few bolts holding the top radiator brackets in, an electrical connector for the fans, the two coolant hoses and the two trans lines and it's out, just pull it up, it's just sitting in the bottom rubbers with gravity.

Once it's out, lay the old radiator down, take off the ten or so screws that's holding the fans on, put the fans on the new radiator, drop it all in, reverse your steps, refill your fluids, and bam, it's in.

Then, run the car with the radiator cap off and heat on full blast to burp it (get rid of air pockets) and feel good about yourself!

I've simplified a little, and I ran mine leaking for a few weeks, I had to pour in a little coolant everyday, so by the time I did it, I had all fresh coolant in my engine anyway, so I didn't do the most thorough of drain jobs. I just drained the radiator (there's a drain at the bottom of it, you turn the knob, coolant comes out) and disconnected the hoses and caught all that coolant in a drain bucket. I didn't bother with trying to get every single drop of old stuff out, like whatever was in the heater core, but I didn't reuse any either.

Once connected back up, I filled the engine as much as I could by reconnecting the lower hose and filling the engine up by the upper hose. Once I couldn't get any more in, I quickly reconnected the upper hose to the radiator and filled the radiator the rest of the way. Then I ran the car until the car was warmed up without the radiator car to let any air escape and I had the heat on full blast to make sure the whole system was flowing. Car worked great until the front end got ripped off.

Hope this helps!!

ngwylie
03-19-2012, 02:16 PM
Hey guys

New update. lol.

So, like I said, I patched it up with an epoxy blend. The patch worked great. The radiator cracked somewhere else and was leaking... couldn't find the leak,

but I'm paying to have it replaced today... paying $252 for parts and labor. I don't think that's too bad, right?

So... there's my experience with epoxy haha.

oakrdrs187
03-19-2012, 03:30 PM
252? I wouldn't know. Always done it myself, it's gotten to be as easy as an oil change.

And Told ya on the "patch-crap"

wetamup2k3g
03-19-2012, 04:32 PM
$252 ain't bad at all considering that someone else did it, I paid $155 for my radiator so I only saved $95 doing it myself. I'm just glad you got it done sooner rather than later, cooling is important. Good stuff bro!