PDA

View Full Version : The official 9G Galant!

Danger DANJ
04-16-2003, 10:59 AM
You all remember that pic that's been floating around on Edmund's of a so called 9G that was covered in black tarps? Well, that isn't a Maxima and is indeed the 9G Galant. Check out the pics below.

Here is a pic of a 2004 GTS

http://www.dangerdanj.com/Galant-GTS.jpg

Here is a pic of a 2004 ES

http://www.dangerdanj.com/Galant-ES.jpg

Looks like an Altima/Maxima combo to me. I don't like it too much. Perhaps I need to see it in person?

TWISTED II
04-16-2003, 11:10 AM
wow, unless mitsu starts makin some changes in their designs, this might be the last g-ride i own. i'm so glad i got mine when i did. but, ya never know, maybe they'll be out on the road for a while and i'll learn to like them, lol.

Dilemma
04-16-2003, 11:13 AM
yea your right dan. Looks like Mitsubishi and Nissan have been collabertaing :?

spiritborn
04-16-2003, 11:22 AM
I guess that settles it. My ride will be the last Galant I will own. Hopefully I will be able to afford a BMW M3 in the near future. It does not matter if it's the older version.

pinoyesv6
04-16-2003, 11:39 AM
i wonder why they changed the gtz trim to gts. a different motor from the ES possibly? looks are ok. but yea looks can be easily changed. the stuff under the hood isn't as easy

Proud Galant Driver
04-16-2003, 11:52 AM
ugly but slick

luxcrusr2000
04-16-2003, 12:04 PM
It would have to drive hella nice in order for me to consider it. Doesn't it seem like the Accord, Altima, and 9G Galant are looking similar? :? :shock:

Tiptronic
04-16-2003, 12:47 PM
:orangeno:

Prophet
04-16-2003, 12:50 PM
I don't like it. Maybe it will have to grow on me also. Are there any specs to the performance. Maybe if it is hitting 400hp I might think about it.

My99GTZ
04-16-2003, 12:57 PM
Damn... and I was just startin to like the g-ride.. was talking about upgrading when this ones paid off.. guess not now.... :rounder:

Ghost Beat
04-16-2003, 12:59 PM
oh god that thing is hidious!!!!!!!!!!

mochanges
04-16-2003, 01:16 PM
I think it looks kinda stubby and is not a handsome car at all. By the way, DANJ, where did the pics come from? I have been trying to find pictures from the show and can't find any.

-Mohammad

Titanium2K2
04-16-2003, 01:20 PM
Here's an article that I found about the RalliArt version Galants:

#3 of 9 More Details on Future Mitsubishi Models by tsx Mar 26, 2003 (1:38 am)
I've just confirmed, the V6 Model in the Galant will offer a RalliArt version, similar to TypeS Acura Models. The RalliArt Galant will be factory equipped sports model with increased power, most likely 240HP, body kit and sport interior.

the website that I found this article can be found here:
http://www.edmunds.com/future/2004/mitsubi.....4.Mitsubishi* ('http://www.edmunds.com/future/2004/mitsubishi/galant/100161648/discussions.html?tid=edmunds.f.review.leftsidenav. .4.Mitsubishi*')

Jimmy

pinoyesv6
04-16-2003, 01:29 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>The completely redesigned 2004 Mitsubishi Galant takes on the biggest names in mid-size sedans with a whole new attitude. The new-for-North America Lancer Sportback gives Mitsubishi a powerful entry in the sportwagon segment and expands the Lancer name to three models. And Mitsubishi's remodeled Diamante flagship sedan focuses on the upscale segment with a new corporate look and a stronger automotive identity.
"New spirited products, in new segments, are keying our growth," said Pierre Gagnon, chairman and chief executive officer of Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. "Our family of vehicles is growing to meet a broader family of Mitsubishi Motors' consumers who, in 2003, will have more of our cars and S.U.V.s to choose from than ever before, something for every stage of their lives." Â*
2004 Mitsubishi Galant
More power, more poise, more room, more attitude. Mitsubishi's all-new Galant now offers a 3.8-liter V6 engine that leads the class in displacement, a robust and highly rigid new unibody structure and more than 100 cu. ft. of interior passenger room. Of course, as with all new Mitsubishi's, the 2004 Galant has vibrant, show-car styling designed to shoulder aside the average family car and stand out in traffic.
At more than 190-inches in length and 72.4-inches in width the 2004 Galant not only looks substantial, it is. The wheelbase has grown to 108.3-inches. The standard tires have been pumped up to 16-inches. The base 2.4-liter Mitsubishi Innovative Valve timing and Electronic Control (MIVEC) engine jumps to 160 horsepower, and the available 3.8-liter V6 cranks out 230 horsepower and a hill-flattening 250 lb. ft. of torque.
Inside, dimensions expand in every direction. Huge cabin width provides more than 57-inches of shoulder room, while 37-inches of rear legroom afford rear passengers ample comfort.
As with the previous Galant, the model line-up includes four distinct trim lines, with missions ranging from expressive family sedan to exhilarating sport sedan.
The Galant DE is expected to start below $19,000, fitted with the 2.4-liter engine, automatic transmission, four-wheel disc brakes, air conditioning, 140-watt CD audio system, keyless entry and power windows, locks and sideview mirrors.
The high-volume Galant ES is expected to start under $20,000 and is equipped with cruise control, titanium-style interior trim, upgraded interior lighting, premium cloth upholstery, color-keyed exterior treatment and a range of options and upgrades.
Mitsubishi's V6 range opens with the Galant LS, a mid-size that packs the 230 horsepower, 250 lb. ft. engine, a Sportronic® automatic/manual transmission, traction control and anti-lock brakes with electronic brakeforce distribution. What it doesn't include is a high-powered price. The preliminary price point for the Galant LS is under $22,000.
The Alpha male of the Galant family is the GTS. Hunkered down on 17-inch alloy wheels, fitted with big stabilizer bars and sporting a strut tower brace under its hood, the GTS has the mechanicals to match the menacing look. Four-bulb projector headlights, parabolic fog lights and a mesh sport grille signal the GTS' serious intentions. At the rear lies an integrated lip spoiler, custom taillights and a baritone exhaust note that helps leave a lasting impression.
Galant GTS also includes a leather-trimmed interior, 270-watt Mitsubishi/Infinity® premium audio system, sunroof, front and side impact air bags, power driver's seat and automatic climate control, along with a choice of interior decor treatments and a color information display in the upper center dash panel.
Following the Endeavor sport utility vehicle, Galant is the second new vehicle in Mitsubishi Motors' Project America series. The all-new Galant was specifically designed in California, engineered in Michigan and Japan, and assembled in Illinois to meet the specific needs and high expectations of American drivers. And with its size, substance and sophistication, Mitsubishi expects the American-made 2004 Galant to reach annual sales of more than 100,000 -- making it the best selling vehicle in Mitsubishi's North American line-up. Â*
</div>

Ghost Beat
04-16-2003, 01:33 PM
they should have just bought over the 8g vr4 instead of a complete tear down and rebuild imo.

WiseCat_03GTZ
04-16-2003, 02:27 PM
I still don't like it.

Danger DANJ
04-16-2003, 02:31 PM
The pics I posted are from www.autoweek.com in the NY Auto Show section.

That info that Pinoy posted is interesting. It's good to see the GTS will be available in stick, but at only 230 hp, who cares? I mean damn, that's all they can get from a 3.8 liter engine?!

WiseCat_03GTZ
04-16-2003, 02:35 PM
I think 230hp is too low for these day, the new Civic has more than that.
If Mitsut doesn't do better 3 or 4 years down the line, I switch over to Domestics like Chrysler, Doged or something that looks better and has more power under the hood.

pinoyesv6
04-16-2003, 02:38 PM
i think this motor has lots of potential. im thinking this car is like the evo. with a few mods, u'll get a whole buncha power unleashed. lots of potential

Rasko Da Gama
04-16-2003, 02:42 PM
MMC has disapointed me... I son't like the shape, especially whole front...
:evil:

Titanium2K2
04-16-2003, 02:43 PM
I think the overall styling doesn't look too bad. It's just the front end that takes a little getting use to. It's just like the 02 and up grill, some like it some don't. There's always going to be aftermarket kits that will change the looks of the car. ( shougun, vis, etc) Unlike our generation G's it's going to take more than just clearing the corners to enhance the looks of this new Galant.

Jimmy

Fishboy55
04-16-2003, 02:47 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>i think this motor has lots of potential. im thinking this car is like the evo. with a few mods, u'll get a whole buncha power unleashed. lots of potential</div>
I think you're making a wild assed guess. There's not as much modification available to be done to a MIVEC engine. Remember that you're just looking at CID numbers when you say 3.8L. That's how physically big the engine is, and it has to be bigger to accomodate the MIVEC piston placement. Size doesn't necessarily equate to power. Look at the difference between the 3.0 and the 3.5 V6. It's a whopping 5hp difference.

Besides that, it's an ugly car....add a stick, alteezas and a 270 watt stereo, and it's still just an ugly car with a stick, alteezas and a 270 watt stereo.

pinoyesv6
04-16-2003, 02:55 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>i think this motor has lots of potential. im thinking this car is like the evo. with a few mods, u'll get a whole buncha power unleashed. lots of potential</div>
I think you're making a wild assed guess. There's not as much modification available to be done to a MIVEC engine. Remember that you're just looking at CID numbers when you say 3.8L. That's how physically big the engine is, and it has to be bigger to accomodate the MIVEC piston placement. Size doesn't necessarily equate to power. Look at the difference between the 3.0 and the 3.5 V6. It's a whopping 5hp difference.

Besides that, it's an ugly car....add a stick, alteezas and a 270 watt stereo, and it's still just an ugly car with a stick, alteezas and a 270 watt stereo.</div>

yup. 100% wild ass guess. but i have this vibe saying that it will. come on there has to be a reason why such a big motor isn't making that much power.

with everything said im starting to think about the eclipse. im pretty sure its not up for a redesign but what will it say when the galant has more power than it...hmmm

i think it would look better with a modified front end of their cz2 concept car...hmm
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/docs1/productsa/geneva_ms03/images/boulet01.jpg

mochanges
04-16-2003, 03:39 PM
There will be an all new eclipse for 05.

I'm glad to see the 9G get more power, but it's not a car I would consider at all. Honestly, I like smaller cars and I think even my 8G is a little too big. The 9G looks huge and looking like a Camry is not a good thing in my book.

-Mohammad

burthold
04-16-2003, 03:49 PM
Makes me glad I bought my 01 gtz when i did. I would like to look into the motor this sounds like a question for manybrews!

Wes

ChromeGalant
04-16-2003, 04:05 PM
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

Reminds me of when they changed the eclipse for 2000.
Maybe with better wheels on it.. but as of right now.. it looks pretty crappy. Its round AND square... front end has to go too, looks like a smashed endeavor..

atxmob
04-16-2003, 04:54 PM
what idiot at mitsubishi is pushing the damn NOSE idea?! did we recruit the pontiac guy or something? i want to throw up on it. and why the higher front fender still??? i am currently driving my second galant. i guarantee i wont be driving a 3rd. OH yeah, it looks like they ripped off the side view from chrysler.

Faction
04-16-2003, 05:09 PM
i think its hott, only in GTS form :wink:

Faction
04-16-2003, 05:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>I've just confirmed, the V6 Model in the Galant will offer a RalliArt version, similar to TypeS Acura Models. The RalliArt Galant will be factory equipped sports model with increased power, most likely 240HP, body kit and sport interior.

The 2004 Outlander will be upgraded to the 2.4-Litre SOHC MIVEC engine which will have increased 20+ HP and torque. The RalliArt version might hit the market in 2005 jumping the power to 200HP and sport appearance.

<span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>The New Diamante will use the new 3.5-Litre V6 MIVEC with increased power and a AWD system.</span>

Montero Sport will most likely be into it's last year for 2004. The bigger Montero will use the next V8 from Mitsubishi.

I will post more details as they come available. Â*

</div>

AWD system mann!! V6 3.5 power! whoa i'm saving my money

BGR
04-16-2003, 05:19 PM
Well, at least with this Galant you would be able to comfortably put 20's on their. It's been done on the 8G but it didn't look too comfy. At least with this one, it does.

I don't know why so many people are trippin'. It's a G-Ride. Wheels, kit and other shit and it's going to be flossin', specially if I get one. I can make a Pinto look tight.

seth98esT
04-17-2003, 04:27 AM
:lauging: pintos are tight stock :wink:

well the more i look at it the side/rear looks pretty sleek. im still not likin the front grill/hood, which im sure ralliart or some other company could hook us up https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

probably not but one could dream

Liszt
04-17-2003, 06:45 AM
Looks like a cross between a diamante and a camry. wtf are they thinking.

ulgy :?

Liszt
04-17-2003, 06:47 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(atxmob)</div><div class='quotemain'>what idiot at mitsubishi is pushing the damn NOSE idea?! did we recruit the pontiac guy or something? i want to throw up on it. and why the higher front fender still??? i am currently driving my second galant. i guarantee i wont be driving a 3rd. OH yeah, it looks like they ripped off the side view from chrysler.</div>

that's what I'm thinking. The nose thing. ???

right ..

BigMike
04-17-2003, 08:06 AM
I know that this has nothing to do with the G's but did you see the Lancer Station Wagon they brought out...what crack laced pipe were they smokin when they designed this: http://www.autonews.com/images/random/nyshow2003/mitsubishi/sportback/sportbacka.jpg

Man I thought MMC was goin forward, not just copying everyone else...like someone else said, they just should brought the VR-4 over here like Nissan did the SkyLine

Sarah
04-17-2003, 09:41 AM
Im sorry, ans I will probably get shit for saying it, but................I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, and will seriously consider purchasing one for Todd when we gwt all our shit together

2002-GeeTeeZee
04-17-2003, 12:17 PM
Looks like an Pontiac Aztec/sunbird in the front and like an Altima/Camry from the front fenders back.

My days in this forum will end once I don't have my present 8G, because I will not have a 9G. It is flat out UGLY.

Went from a sleek classy BMW look to that as mentioned above.

Sarah
04-17-2003, 12:50 PM
i dont think she needs any help with her looks, i really do like her...just the way she is....everyone should be allowed to have their own opinions, and not have the opinions of others forced down their throats

Liszt
04-17-2003, 04:21 PM
the station wagon is cool, only in yellow though

Kalamidad
04-17-2003, 04:27 PM
here is my opinion.
i like the front,
I don't like the back
i don't like how the back of the cabin looks like a camry,
More power, GOOD, but not enough.
I want to see it in person and see how it performs to see if i would consider getting it or not.
pictures say a thousand word but sometimes that is not enough. What about performance.

toc8g
04-17-2003, 09:22 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BGR)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well, at least with this Galant you would be able to comfortably put 20's on their. Â*It's been done on the 8G but it didn't look too comfy. Â*At least with this one, it does.

I don't know why so many people are trippin'. Â*It's a G-Ride. Â*Wheels, kit and other shit and it's going to be flossin', specially if I get one. Â*I can make a Pinto look tight.</div>

HAHA BGR you are the Man!!! Yeah,..I am gonna get the 9G. I don't know when but it will be my next car.

b-boy_sky
04-21-2003, 03:05 PM
The tail light are a trip. Does anyone know what the weights are for the I4 and V6.....I wanna know where I stand against one come November.....

delo
04-22-2003, 11:03 AM
Seen it at the auto show yesterday. looks nice from the outside but the insude was like oh dam. :shock: two tone interior. cream and blue. couldn't get close to it cuz it was roped off but extremely nice. and they changed the gear shift stick. good.

baadhabit
04-23-2003, 02:34 PM
i saw it at the NY Auto show yesterday. its uglier in person.

2.4 SOHC 160HP?? :roll: gimme a break. thats the same engine my 95 has. its underpowered and its a smaller car. imagine how wimpy that giant thing is going to be.

greekgalant
04-23-2003, 06:45 PM
I like it...it looks more classy..its gonna sell better than the current version I guarantee u..i think the agressive styling of the current galant helped people buy it but it also scared away a lot of potentials...but i still like the 8gs betta

BGR
04-24-2003, 04:14 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(atxmob)</div><div class='quotemain'>what idiot at mitsubishi is pushing the damn NOSE idea?!</div>

A spokesman from Mitsubishi stated during the unveiling of the '03 Galant (the video may still be available at Edmunds.com) that starting with the '03 Galant, this front end will be the NEW corporate symbol and all new Mitsubishi cars will have this feature. I guess they weren't lying but I don't recall the Eclipse looking like this. All the other new cars have this front end (although not as weird looking as the 9G Galant) Evo, Diamante, SUV (whatever it's called).

evomk8
04-24-2003, 09:25 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(baadhabit)</div><div class='quotemain'>i saw it at the NY Auto show yesterday. its uglier in person. Â*

2.4 SOHC 160HP?? Â*:roll: gimme a break. thats the same engine my 95 has. its underpowered and its a smaller car. imagine how wimpy that giant thing is going to be.</div>

Not quite the same engine. The 1994 GS had a DOHC 4G64 2.4l engine.
This car has a SOHC MIVEC 4G69 2.4l. The MIVEC engine should provide a much flatter torque curve.
The specs are expected to be 160hp @ 5500rpm and 157ft/lbs torque @ 4000rpm. What worries me is the 9G's base weight: 3351lbs :shock:

Auto-9
04-24-2003, 10:30 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(evomk8)</div><div class='quotemain'>The specs are expected to be 160hp @ 5500rpm and 157ft/lbs torque @ 4000rpm. What worries me is the 9G's base weight: 3351lbs :shock:</div>

Wow...that's the 4 banger's base weight? If so...we're talking probably a worse power to weight ratio than the current 8g Cali spec 4 cylinders. I sincerely hope that it's the 6 cylinder's weight anyway...if the Altima can be as big as it is and still come in at 3078 pounds for the 4 banger Mitsubishi should be able to. Oh wait...we're talking about the Triple Diamond...I take that back.

BGR
04-24-2003, 12:31 PM
I was just checking out the specs of the new EVO and that SOB weights well over 2 tons! (4000lbs)

Tiptronic
04-24-2003, 12:44 PM
that station wagon isnt bad looking. never yellow though :wink:

mochanges
04-24-2003, 01:32 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BGR)</div><div class='quotemain'>I was just checking out the specs of the new EVO and that SOB weights well over 2 tons! (4000lbs)</div>

No way man, here are the weights from mitsu's website:

Curb Weight (lbs.) [with Sunroof]: 3263 [3298]

-Mohammad

Mante
04-24-2003, 02:04 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burthold)</div><div class='quotemain'>Makes me glad I bought my 01 gtz when i did. I would like to look into the motor this sounds like a question for manybrews!

Wes</div>

good point 8g for me lol

MMC is really loosing faith from me, I cant be satisfied with a mitsu unless I do drastic changes...can I have a decent starting block. Its official my next car wont have nothing to do with 3 diamonds

Auto-9
04-24-2003, 07:37 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mochanges)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BGR)</div><div class='quotemain'>I was just checking out the specs of the new EVO and that SOB weights well over 2 tons! (4000lbs)</div>

No way man, here are the weights from mitsu's website:

Curb Weight (lbs.) [with Sunroof]: 3263 [3298]

-Mohammad</div>

Yeah that's what I saw too. In Super Street and I forget which other magazine the weight was over 4000, then other magazines listed it at around 3100. Sure makes for some serious confusion.

Proud Galant Driver
04-24-2003, 07:49 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BigMikesGalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>I know that this has nothing to do with the G's but did you see the Lancer Station Wagon they brought out...what crack laced pipe were they smokin when they designed this: http://www.autonews.com/images/random/nyshow2003/mitsubishi/sportback/sportbacka.jpg

Man I thought MMC was goin forward, not just copying everyone else...like someone else said, they just should brought the VR-4 over here like Nissan did the SkyLine</div>

that looks tight!

Danger DANJ
04-27-2003, 07:09 PM
After seeing the new Galant in person at the NY Auto Show yesterday, I actually like it. The rear is sweet, especially the tails on the GTS model. The only thing I really hate are the big ass headlights.