PDA

View Full Version : So there's a funny noise coming from my motor

greddy
04-19-2012, 12:48 PM
So I have a noise coming from my motor now, it's coming from the head and sounds like something in the valvetrain. I'm 95% sure it's not rod knock because I've heard it before and this does not sound like it. It's a very loud tapping noise that appears once the car reaches 2800 RPM under medium load, it will disappear under light throttle or full throttle. I don't think it's my lifters because I replaced them a year ago and it's not your standard tick. The car pulls the same and drives fine although the idle will now range from 1000 to 750rpm, not constantly, but it changes. I'm assuming it's something in the valvetrain, any ideas? The noise is a knocking noise but it is not constant nore is it loud like rod knock, and it happened all of a sudden, not something that's been developing over time.

THanks guys,

Martin

4g63lover
04-19-2012, 01:45 PM
I have this same noise and it's coming from one of the gaskets from the spacers for the turbo manifold. Check your exhaust manifold and make sure it is not leaking through a gasket. Every thing you mentioned is the same thing that's going on with babyG.

greddy
04-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Thanks jigz ill give it a shot

greddy
04-20-2012, 02:47 PM
So I replaced the gasket, no dice, took a stethoscope to the motor and the ticking is coming from the head, I ordered some lifters and am gonna replace all of them.

deeznutz
04-20-2012, 03:58 PM
That's prob your problem the 4g64 lifters suck ass mine were ticking when I first got my silver g I changed the oil with amsoil 5w30 the ticking dissaperared instantly haven't given me a prob since. What weight oil are you using?

Isaurio
04-20-2012, 04:18 PM
^^^ THIS.

I'm using Amsoil also. I changed it to 0W-30 for the winter. No problems no lifter click on idle. Smooth. Changing back to 5w-30 on the summer. AMSOIL i could say great oil. A year now, I have nothing bad to say about it.

greddy
04-20-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm using 5w30 year round, I replaced my lifters not too long ago but the car has been seeing redline a lot so that's probably it, one of them has likely collapsed.

Isaurio
04-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Dont matter is is seeing red line. How bad is the tick. Did you tune the car? If you 5 speed you have to tune the car since now you are going above 3500 RPM. The computer is not tune for manual trani or seeing timing that advance.

Try using another oil. see if it helps.

deeznutz
04-20-2012, 04:51 PM
I'm using 5w30 year round, I replaced my lifters not too long ago but the car has been seeing redline a lot so that's probably it, one of them has likely collapsed.

Just change out the bad one and save the rest most likely it's going to happen again.

greddy
04-20-2012, 06:26 PM
I am 5spd, I have not had it tuned though.

keith6110
04-20-2012, 06:42 PM
I have been using 10w30 penzoil in the summer, no ticking here on a 80k+ miles on original tickers. Also I had crazy tick on the 278k galant until I changed the oil to penzoil. No ticking after she's warm.

deeznutz
04-20-2012, 07:10 PM
I have been using 10w30 penzoil in the summer, no ticking here on a 80k+ miles on original tickers. Also I had crazy tick on the 278k galant until I changed the oil to penzoil. No ticking after she's warm.

Shouldn't tick at all Keith you might want to conciter changing them or at least the bad ones. Also start using 5w30 your going to get better flow and the ticking might stop completely.

On another note has anyone been burning oil I noticed that when they do start to tick i burn oil?

deeznutz
04-20-2012, 07:18 PM
I am 5spd, I have not had it tuned though.

It shouldn't be a tuning issue but you should at least run some 5speed eclipse maps it will help with fuel econ quicker acceleration and such.

spdracr
04-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Shouldn't tick at all Keith you might want to conciter changing them or at least the bad ones. Also start using 5w30 your going to get better flow and the ticking might stop completely.

On another note has anyone been burning oil I noticed that when they do start to tick i burn oil?

I have tthe nastiest tick and no burning oil.

oakrdrs187
04-20-2012, 07:40 PM
^ I bet its not as bad as mine.

greddy
04-20-2012, 10:05 PM
Mine didn't burn oil @ 100K when my first lifter tick got bad, I replaced them and it went away, 4Gxx motor lifters are notoriously bad for ticking and wearing out quickly though, so I'm not surprised.

Galanttuner10
04-20-2012, 10:28 PM
I run 10w-30. I encountered a tick like this last summer after i slacked on the oil change interval. It was a lifter and I got it to go away by doin an oil change after driving the care around all morning and not letting it sit. Must have thinned out whatever got in there enough to get it out. If that didn't work I would have taken the lifters out and cleaned them all. No need to order new ones every time.

greddy
04-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Ok, so good news and bad news, I found the culprit, it was a collapsed lifter that was just in terrible shape, so I replaced all the lifters while I was at it. Not more of the horrendous loud ticking but now I have quiet lifter tick at all RPMs. I soaked my new lifters in oil before putting them in, just like I did last time I replaced them and I had no problems then, should I just drive it some more and let them break in? I did some reading on DSM forums and some suggest bleeding the air out of them while others dont. Any thoughts guys?

deeznutz
04-24-2012, 10:53 AM
I was taught to bleed them but opinions vary... If I'm not mistaken the fsm says to bleed them.

greddy
04-24-2012, 11:06 AM
so I just submerge them in oil and pump them for a while?

master_visionary
04-24-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm always learning on here this is helping me too thanks

My 7G did the Exact same thing as the first post right at 2500 it starts but by 2650 its gone and it does it going up or down through the revs.

Does anyone have any idea what that is to bring up one of the first questions. If it was a collapsed lifter wouldn't the tick be constant? To me I felt like valvetrain was slipping in that window of 2500>2650 or 2650>2500 . As some of y'all know my timing belt snapped recently and destroyed my engine.
Thanks. Joe

greddy
04-24-2012, 01:05 PM
I thought it would, and the more I drove it with the collapsed lifter the more I could hear it throughout the RPM range.

deeznutz
04-24-2012, 02:20 PM
so I just submerge them in oil and pump them for a while?

Yes but you need the right size probe to stick in the lifter or you risk messing it up refer to the fsm on size. If you dont have the fsm I'll look it up for you.

greddy
04-30-2012, 10:27 PM
New problem guys, replaced all the lifters, bled them according to the FSM, and I have HOrrific lifter tick. It's not rod knock or anything else because I dropped the pan and it was fine, no shavings or anything. Oil is AMSoil 5w30 with an amsoil filter so that's not the issue. The lifters were rock hard when I put them in, I've taken them out to inspect them and they are completely soft, now I know the lifters aren't supposed to be rock hard after being run but I know they should have @ least some oil in them. For whatever reason oil isn't getting to them. Oil pressure is within specs, oil pump is good, no leaks, I'm stumped. Car runs great but the lifter tick is unbelievable.

8thLS6
05-01-2012, 04:24 PM
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/189443-how-eliminate-lifter-noise.html what about thw revised lifters mentioned?

Isaurio
05-01-2012, 04:31 PM
^^ 3g lifter= 3g eclipse = 8G galant SAME THING.

We use the 3g lifters in our 8G. They make a revise lifter for the evos and v6 but it dont fit our 4cly SOHC.

Best way is to get the right oil. and flush your oil time to time.

greddy--- something is wrong with the noise. Double check the lifter and bleed them again. With the AmsOil you have to drive for a few miles so the oil could get them hot and wet "thats what she said". Also new lifter needs some few miles of highway driving so they could settle and break in.

8thLS6
05-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Yeah that's what I was thinking, it would be the same

spdracr
05-01-2012, 10:01 PM
New problem guys, replaced all the lifters, bled them according to the FSM, and I have HOrrific lifter tick. It's not rod knock or anything else because I dropped the pan and it was fine, no shavings or anything. Oil is AMSoil 5w30 with an amsoil filter so that's not the issue. The lifters were rock hard when I put them in, I've taken them out to inspect them and they are completely soft, now I know the lifters aren't supposed to be rock hard after being run but I know they should have @ least some oil in them. For whatever reason oil isn't getting to them. Oil pressure is within specs, oil pump is good, no leaks, I'm stumped. Car runs great but the lifter tick is unbelievable.

There's a procedure to prime the new ones. Rev to 3k for a couple minutes and then idle for a couple minutes back and forth like that for a certain period of time. Did u do that??

greddy
05-01-2012, 10:58 PM
yep, I figured it out, one of my rockers was messed up, we're good to go.

Isaurio
05-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Good that you fixed the problem.

8thLS6
05-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Congrats on the solution

spdracr
05-02-2012, 12:13 PM
How did u figure it out?? Just curious to know.

greddy
05-02-2012, 01:11 PM
I cleaned them all thoroughly and noticed that one was cracking and that the roller had a flat spot in it.