PDA

View Full Version : AC problems after some dealer service

Rodriguez
04-25-2012, 10:32 AM
Ok so I had the whole issue where the drivers Side Fogwell gets all wet so I took it to the dealership they charged me $250 to fix it it put an elbow on the drain pipe and changed the AC filter. So no more wet floor for a few weeks now. However, the new issue is no cold air from the AC. My first thought was to have the system recharged and I know I can do this with one of the cans from AutoZone however, one of the things that came to mind was every time I used to turn on the AC I would hear a click down inside the engine bay, I no longer hear that click. Any ideas steering in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. In addition when I touch the AC lines they seem to be at room temperature not cold like they used to be

carl3g
04-25-2012, 10:44 AM
It may be that your system needs to be recharged or the condenser stopped working.

Rodriguez
04-25-2012, 11:19 AM
It may be that your system needs to be recharged or the condenser stopped working.

Is there any way to pin point the issue?

02redgalant
04-25-2012, 08:17 PM
recharge or your compressor or compressor clutch is done...........$250? to put on an elbow(its like 12 bucks and 5 mins of your time) and by ac filter i hope your talking about the drier + evac/recharge/?

this happened to me last year and was advised that I had a leak in the system which they claimed why it wouldn't come on...I replaced every part in the a/c system(dryer/condensor/evaporator/dryer and all pertinent o rings) minus the compressor and did not resolve my issue. I swapped the compressor to a JY compressor an hour later i had cold a/c again

Rodriguez
04-25-2012, 09:39 PM
recharge or your compressor or compressor clutch is done...........$250? to put on an elbow(its like 12 bucks and 5 mins of your time) and by ac filter i hope your talking about the drier + evac/recharge/?

this happened to me last year and was advised that I had a leak in the system which they claimed why it wouldn't come on...I replaced every part in the a/c system(dryer/condensor/evaporator/dryer and all pertinent o rings) minus the compressor and did not resolve my issue. I swapped the compressor to a JY compressor an hour later i had cold a/c again

Was it a big deal to replace it? And yea I know the dealer is a rip off but I needed a sure fire fix fast as I had just gutted and replaced my old carpet with a brand new one and wasn't about to ruin that one.

02redgalant
04-25-2012, 10:01 PM
lol it was a big deal replacing everything but the compressor.

key points

shop removes freon MUST
remove old compressor about 6 bolts and loosen power steering belt
your replacement compressor make sure you remove the dirty oil(unless its new ) and place fresh pag oil service manual has exact amounts and type of oil
drier(its that little can behind passenger headlight) must be replaced there not expensive and filter the freon...unless you buy OEM you'll have to remove the pressure switch on it and place it on the new drier PITA finding a socket size that fits
put it all back together
vacuum the system for at least 30 mins to remove moisture and verify it holds a vacuum ...
then you can refill the system with cans they sell at walmart

vacuuming and refilling how to's are plenty on youtube

easily can save 150+ on labor
75+ for freon refill

8thLS6
05-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Hey question..I thought mose people have evaporator leak on the passenger side. That's where my leak seems to be. But after reading your experience, I hope it's not my drivers side too. As far as the elbow, we're talking about-face the same hose right? The one the evaporator drains to. If so is the elbow an oem piece they use to remedy the problem. Because I might have to look into it.