PDA

View Full Version : i follwed he tutorial the best i could..its still a no go

Sowndwayv
04-17-2003, 07:33 PM
i got my reverse gauges in from TJGalant in today, he told me they worked fine..so i went ahead and tryed installing them

i put them on..makin sure screws arnt too tight..and then i connected the gauges power connectores..there were 4 from the ballast, but i only had to use 3...it dosnt matter which ones i choose right? since its theres power running thru the whole thing

i spliced the wire that had some red on it to the cars green wire...then the completley black wire to the cars black wire..i reassemble everything..and i turn the knob to engage the parking lights...nothing. even if its is daylight outside im sure i can see some sort of light coming from the gauges..

the control pad it came with has 4 buttons..blue and green (which i presume changed color)..and 2 other bottons, one black and one white..im guessin this is brightness (not sure which is which), but i mesed with this too..and nothings hapening

lastly..we arent suppsosed to do anything with that black wire with the yellow stripe on it right?

am i overlooking something or was i sold defective gauges?

Messiah
04-17-2003, 08:08 PM
is the dimmer switch turned all the way up?
wait till it gets darker, it's really hard to see them during the day.

Sowndwayv
04-17-2003, 08:30 PM
yeah its all the way up..i guess i should just wait a few hours till its gets dark..but heres a pretty crude diagram of what i got setup hehe..if it helps anyone confirm the installation or tell me where i went wrong. the two dashes on the dimmer wires is just where it continues on into the car wherever it went before

http://home.attbi.com/~sowndwayv/gaugeinstall.jpg

MnGalant
04-17-2003, 08:52 PM
I had the same problem and all that was wrong was i didnt have the tap n squezze on tight enough. But that was just what was wrong with mine. I would give that a try.

pinoyesv6
04-17-2003, 11:57 PM
step 1 to installing parts, especially used ones. test em out. people might say it fits or it works or its complete but check it over before u install it. in your case, hook it up to another 12v power supply like the battery or something more reliable. if they work then proceed with the install. if they don't then don't install them.

Fishboy55
04-18-2003, 07:24 AM
OK, In case someone skipped the obvious step, make sure your dimmer switch is plugged back in or the guages won't work. I can't remember which dimmer switch wire to tap. The best thing to do is to take a meter and measure with the lights on and see which wire on the dimmer switch has 12Volts I think it's the black/green, but it's been so long since I installed mine, I forgot. Also, as someone said, those tap and squeeze connectors are flaky. Make sure you squeeze the hell out of them to make a good connection.

The other way to tell if you've hooked up correctly is to take your meter and measure on the plug once the ballst is connected. You should measure AC voltage at the connector going to the guages.

A cheap multimeter from Radio Shack is a good investment if you're going to be doing anything electrical to your car.

Sowndwayv
04-18-2003, 11:49 AM
thanks a lot for the tips ahd advice guys..things seem fine now, outside of bleeding, but thats a later issue.

if a mad has the time they can go ahead and close/delete this