PDA

View Full Version : Water injection for Turbo and Supercharged engines

ablythe
04-18-2003, 12:41 PM
Has anyone out there had any experience with a water injection system on a turboed or supercharged motor?

I've been doing some reading on this site:

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/ ('http://www.aquamist.co.uk/')

This could be the answer to the detonation/ preignition problem.

Maybe, I won't have to buy lower compression pistons and high dollar pump gas.

Tunemaker7
Plano, TX
96 Maroon Galant S
New Tranny
170k miles

ken inn
04-18-2003, 01:05 PM
yep, i've been using water injection for a few years now. i use the shurflo pump(78$) and aquamist nozzles. got one nozzle right after the turbo, another right before the throttle body. when the system is hot, the pipe coming off the turbo will be hot to the touch. i can rev the motor, and engage the wi, and you can feel the pipe get cold. not cool, COLD. wi will raise the octane number about 4 points, it will cool as good or better than a large intercooler, and it will keep the entire intake tract clean. clean valves, plugs, pistons, and combustion chamber. if you do get the aquamist system, georges imports in kansas city is the absolute best in the nation. brad schaffner will help you out immensly. great person.

HiperSilver
04-18-2003, 05:23 PM
you dont really need it on a supercharger, because the air is hot after being compressed, more for a turbo. Unless you are a rally or autocross racer, itll help out them, but if you have a decent FMIC you shouldnt need it at all.

ken inn
04-19-2003, 06:35 PM
[quote="HiperSilver"]you dont really need it on a supercharger, because the air is hot after being compressed, more for a turbo. Unless you are a rally or autocross racer, itll help out them, but if you have a decent FMIC you shouldnt need it at all.[/quote

maybe not on a supercharger running only 6 lbs boost. water injection will cool as good or better than a good intercooler. i got rre 2.25 pipes and jdm evo front mount intercooler, and the water injection has eliminated knock. water injection is making a huge comeback. i am runnning 18 lbs boost, not no wimpy 6 lbs. sure, the intercooler helps, but the water injection can save a motor. besides protecting against bad gas, it also keeps everything clean, so performance is consistent. even a normal aspirated car can benefit from water injection. i just did some runs, i have just repaied my pump. specs are:
18 lbs boost, 2g mas, 2 nozzles, evo 560cc injectors. prior to fixing the pump, i had the afc hi throttle adjustments as:
4k +4
5k +5
6k +7
7k +8
with this, i got 1-3 sums of knock, and 23 timing, injector duty cycle was 87. just now, i went out and made some runs with the water injection working, after 3 runs, i have the hi settings back to 0.
rpm 7031
knock 0
timing 26
duty
cycle 78

that's an 11% DROP in injector duty cycle, with better timing, and NO knock. i will be pulling more fuel when i get time to make more runs.