PDA

View Full Version : Turn on fan, car stalls.

llatinn4_20
05-15-2012, 01:24 PM
Hey guys, I've looked all over and cant seem to find an answer.
My car runs fine but the moment I turn on the fan and set it towards the windshield my car stalls. Doesn't matter if the fan is on 1 or 4 still stalls. Same with the a/c. Summers in Chicago get really hot and humid and I need my a/c. Any ideas,suggestions, remedies, voodoo tricks, car gods i should pray to or any info would be appreciated.

tamim13
05-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Sounds like your compressor is causing it to happen. Did you check your freon recently? Might be a good idea to disconnect your compressor fuse and see if that helps. Just throwing this out there as a suggestion.

Reelax
05-15-2012, 03:39 PM
also get your battery and alternator checked.

llatinn4_20
05-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I did check the battery and alternator they are both working properly. I also removed the fuse like suggested, didn't notice a difference in operation. Now the radiator fan kicks on for a minute, shuts off and a couple seconds later kicks back on.

01blackG
06-25-2012, 06:57 AM
Its a AC issue for sure. Disconnect the battery for 1/2 hr or so. Also unplug the AC compressor so it wont turn on when you put the car to windows for the blower.

Now connect the battery but leave the compressor unconnected.

Start the car, keep in mind the Cars computer will have to remap its self so it wont seem to be running correctly for a little while.

But that should solve any running issues as long as you leave the AC unhooked.

GirchyGirchy
08-01-2012, 12:40 PM
But that should solve any running issues as long as you leave the AC unhooked.

That doesn't really fix anything though - for the defrost setting to work correctly, the A/C compressor needs to run. That's what actually does the defrost, not the air blowing on the windows.

Aside from the A/C, also check out the idle air controller (IAC) system - this should raise the idle speed when the engine becomes loaded by the A/C compressor or something else. This is assuming the compressor's not simply locked up.