PDA

View Full Version : turbo

galant_speed
04-18-2003, 04:19 PM
hi everyone, i have a 94 galant, automatic and i was wondering if it would be ok if i want to fit a T25 turbo"or any other turbo" on to my stock engine.( whether the car could handle it or not) any info would be great

seth98esT
04-18-2003, 04:25 PM
do you have a GS?

either way any turbo setup thats tuned properly will be able to be ran on a stock setup, although not as reccomended

the next question would be, How much boost? our auto trannies suck pretty bad and will deteriorate at around 200-210 ponies(so i hear, manybrew do you have a say in this?) so you should only be able to run 4-8lbs of boost...

5spd swaps are possible. 2g eclipse/talon fwd 5spd trannies bolt up somewhat nicely, alls you need is a galant 5spd parts car and a 2g tranny.

if u have a DOHC 94 GS then most eclipse internals will bolt right in, i.e. cams, cam gears, ect...

and the 1g and 2g exhaust manifolds bolt up to our head also

id recommend a 14b turbo over a t25, t25s suck :wink:

also if you do not have the GS engine your engine will be SOHC, a lot of people are attempting the 1g/2g DOHC head swap, more details about this in other posts...

galant_speed
04-18-2003, 04:28 PM
noo man, i have 94 ES and u r right, the tranny sucks ass, so u and all the others on here recomend swaping the car first then turbo it?

seth98esT
04-18-2003, 04:31 PM
heres my *Plan* of agenda:

First:1g ported and polished head + cyclone intake mani

Second:5spd tranny swap

Third:14b turbo setup with Supra SMIC, low comp pistons, cams, cam gears, ect...

Fourth:if i ever max out the 14b(doubtful https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif), swap it with a small 16g...

also, a few have already turbod their SOHC, Dj and a 2g spyder on the boards. the spyder runs 8lbs of boost daily, not sure what he has done to the tranny, and Dj has gone through a stock tranny already i believe

so either upgrade ur stock tranny to a lvl10 or do the 5spd swap

galant_speed
04-18-2003, 04:36 PM
ONE more question, i just purchased 17*7 rims, and i was wondering if a 205.40.17 tire would fit on the car without rubbing or not?

seth98esT
04-18-2003, 04:39 PM
should fit nicely, as long as you dont go above 215 with 18s you wont rub(dont shoot me if u do by some chance :wink:)

but ya you shouldnt have nay problems, we have a lot of members that have 18s

HiperSilver
04-18-2003, 05:16 PM
yea you can slap a turbo on. SOHC is decent, if you dont wanna go DOHC, just port the head, 1mm oversized valves. Also t25 is probobally good for our motor, on an eclipse you dont want it because boosting 18 pounds on a t25 is actually like 12 becasuue of the hot air it blows. So for really low application and low end power you can do a t25, can even go with a 14b. 1st or 2nd gen exhuast manifold will do the job. 2g is better , but not a big difference.

redboy
04-18-2003, 05:30 PM
put it like this about the rims....i have 17's at 215 40 on it, before my body kit came in i never rubbed, after i put the kit on.......lets just say i cant ride anyone in the back seat, i have to tighten my susp. in the back...soo u wont rub, maybe a little with no kit but with the kit its a pain!!!

galant_speed
04-18-2003, 06:19 PM
what is the big gain of changing the throttle body that we have on the 7g galant? is there any major differences if i want to turbo the car?

JiP
04-19-2003, 02:38 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galant_speed)</div><div class='quotemain'>what is the big gain of changing the throttle body that we have on the 7g galant? is there any major differences if i want to turbo the car?</div>

There is no huge gain. The gain is the about the same felt by adding a cai, you can barely feel the difference. But more airflow always means more power, every lil bit helps.

Im pretty much doing the same setup seth is, 1g headswap, 5spd swap, then turbo.

seth98esT
04-19-2003, 02:41 AM
we will hafta race sometime JiP when we are both turbo...

ill meet u half way :lauging:

JiP
04-19-2003, 02:43 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth)</div><div class='quotemain'>we will hafta race sometime JiP when we are both turbo...

ill meet u half way :lauging:</div>

Then you can go home shamed that you lost to a pink galant thats held together with duct tape and has engine mounts made from cutting boards.
:laughing:

galant_speed
04-19-2003, 11:03 PM
since i have a Doch engine in my car all i have to do is to get a 2g manifold and a T25 turbo and ill be done please correct me if im wrong

seth98esT
04-19-2003, 11:32 PM
well u need some sort of intercooler, intercooler piping, safc to tune with, obd2 datalogger is recomended, all the gauges, manual or electric boost controller...

Kain
04-21-2003, 09:55 PM
Well, first of all, a T-25 is probably gonna be too small. It's gonna be working at about maximum capacity to huff up to around 7 psi on the high-displacement 4g64. Though, it will spool instantly. I have a 9b, which is just a little smaller than a T-25, and it's almost overwhelmed by my little 1.6L. Go for broke, get the 14b. You'll be happier in the long run.

Spyder4G64t
04-22-2003, 04:05 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galant_speed)</div><div class='quotemain'>since i have a Doch engine in my car all i have to do is to get a 2g manifold and a T25 turbo and ill be done please correct me if im wrong</div>T25 is too small for the 4G64 at just about any boost level, in my opinion. Get a 14b at least, and a 16g if you have the $$$ to do so.

You have a 94 Galant GS? If so, then you have a compression ratio of 10.0:1. That's *really* high for a turbo car. You will *REALLY* have to watch it. The stock 9.5:1 of a normal 4G64 is bad enough.

For info on turbo'ing a 4G64, check out my website (listed in my signature) as well as joining the "forced induction" topic area on this board. This thread really belongs there, although this has been discussed MANY times before.

Spyder4G64t
04-22-2003, 04:08 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth)</div><div class='quotemain'>also, a few have already turbod their SOHC, Dj and a 2g spyder on the boards. Â*the spyder runs 8lbs of boost daily, not sure what he has done to the tranny</div> Actually, I run 10psi daily, and no, I haven't done anything to my 5-speed tranny. I did, however, need to get a performance clutch, as the stock one started slipping almost immediatly.

galant_speed
04-22-2003, 08:45 PM
an idea what the compression ration for the ES engine?

galant_speed
04-22-2003, 08:52 PM
hello again, i was thinking about changing my cam gears but when i was going through the process i noticed that the 4g64 has only 1 big cam? and im stuck with the 2 little cams that come on the 2g eclipse. If i want to change my motor head with a 2g would it fit?

Kain
04-22-2003, 09:00 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galant_speed)</div><div class='quotemain'>an idea what the compression ration for the ES engine?</div>

9.5:1

As for the cam, the SOHC has one camshaft. you can get better ones from RPW. The DOHC can use Turbo Eclipse stuff.

seth98esT
04-22-2003, 09:07 PM
2g turbo only...

1g turbo head is a better head though

HiperSilver
04-26-2003, 12:34 AM
just pop a DSM head on there, valves, cams, cam gears, lifters, etc youll be good, better for turbo, you can control exhuast and intake lift and duration, better for tuning