PDA

View Full Version : Possible Tranny/Clutch problem???

whokilledhoughes
05-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Alright to begin with this noise as you will hear on the video started out of nowhere.

keep in mind the following.

-Brand new 5spd tranny about 1500 miles on it.
-just recently swapped out wheel bearing and axels thinking that was the problem.
-new suspension and chassis parts in ex. new control arms with ball joints, new tie rods inner and outer, sway bar bushings/links.
-Also car has been working fine for about 600 miles after the evo motor install. car was driving perfect with no noise anywhere.
-Stage 3 clutch with springs on the disk (possible noise??)
-tranny fluids are on level
-ONLY makes noise in acceleration. no noise on reverse, no noise on engine breaking, no noise while pressing the break, no noise on neutral, and no noise on neutral while reving the engine.

i know for a FACT it is not the brakes making the noise. i had the car in jack stands with no caliper and no rotor on both sides and took the car through each gear and the noise was still there. its a loud chirping metal to metal contact noise. checked all chassis bolts to make sure nothing was coming loose. every bold everywhere checks out fine.

i refuse to believe that the tranny is bad.. i really doubt it, as it is almost brand new and has never been abused. yes the car has a lot of power now but i haven't had time to tune it, and the cars potential is not 100% so the tranny hasnt seen any abuse yet.

things i think might be the problem. i noticed when i drive the car NOW with the noise i can get to a stop sign after 15 minutes or so of driving and it basically impossible to get it into gear. i have to turn off the car for a few seconds, then the gears start working again. clutch master and slave are working fine. with that being said, i believe the pressure plate might be defective, throwout bearing making the noise?? maybe i didn't torque something enough in the clutch assembly and its coming loose creating the sound??
might have worked fine in the begining but after 600 miles its coming apart?

anyways before i bring down the tranny which is no fun.. maybe you guys can give me some input on possibilities.

here is the video, towards the end you can really hear it as i press the accelerator multiple times.

http://youtu.be/4Rj5h3hRMus

wetamup2k3g
05-21-2012, 07:29 PM
This is a wild guess, as I've never had the experience of driving a manual trans Galant, but it sounds similar to a chirp I was getting at idle in my old G, when the engine was cold and in gear, I would hear a constant chirping like that, I was thinking maybe motor mounts. Mine were shot to hell however, and I don't know if solid mounts do that, but that's my suggestion. Hope it helps and good luck!

Galantman03
05-21-2012, 08:25 PM
Eclipse tranny right? How its your TOB adjusted? Taught against the pressure plate? I think a good possibility of it might be your TOB seizing against the fingers of the PP. I think you might have to drop the tranny and see if there is wear marks, from metal to metal contact. Maybe a belt slipping? Idk, hard to tell. Did you check the dp clearance? Maybe its only rubbing on something during accel, idk man... Throwing ideas out here

whokilledhoughes
05-21-2012, 08:44 PM
i have checked every possible option from motor mounts being loose, to the down pipe to chassis parts, every bolt everywhere.

i have come to the conclusion that the problem is somewhere in the clutch system. now that i think about it when i assembled the tranny to the evo motor i did everything so fast i really dont think i torqued everything properly, and now 600 miles later its coming loose. that's my guess for now. also possibilities could be TOB and or PP going bad. will bring tranny down this weekend if weather allows me since its been raining daily here in Miami. ill keep you guys posted.