PDA

View Full Version : Greddy Exhaust

Prophet
04-19-2003, 12:34 AM
Okay has anyone done this yet. Take the cat back exhaust from Greddy added the two or three inche piping to fit. The reason I am asking is that I can get Greddy at really good prices and it will be cheaper for me to do it this way. Plus it will be CARB exempt. I know I am going to eat my words for this because I have been on the bandwagon of saying F*** Greddy because of the deal with them not producing the headers for us but money makes the world go around.

If no one has done this yet can anyone confirm that the bends are the same from the 3G Eclipse and the 8G Galant.

pinoyesv6
04-19-2003, 07:33 AM
i don't think it would be legally carb exempt if you put it on a car its not made for or modify it...

Ghost Beat
04-19-2003, 07:40 AM
ya but how can you know? i found a eclipse catback mae by jic supposedly with a muffler and all for the 3g i was gona ask this question myself too that if you can take a catback made for the 3g and throw it onto the lant

Prophet
04-19-2003, 10:41 AM
i don't think it would be legally carb exempt if you put it on a car its not made for or modify it...

Would the sticker or paperwork say the 3G or will it say 4G64/Eclipse or something like that?

pinoyesv6
04-19-2003, 10:57 AM
i believe the sticker just has the number. i guess u'd pass like a simple visual inspection. but yea if they were to look at the number on the sticker it would say for what year make model trim line etc the part was made for.

Prophet
04-19-2003, 11:34 AM
i believe the sticker just has the number. i guess u'd pass like a simple visual inspection. but yea if they were to look at the number on the sticker it would say for what year make model trim line etc the part was made for.

Still worth a try. A sticker is better than no sticker.

Pinoy do you know if the bends atre the same and will I need to add piping to just one section or will I end up cutting it in more than one place?

RedGalant2k1
04-19-2003, 07:41 PM

Still worth a try. A sticker is better than no sticker.

Pinoy do you know if the bends atre the same and will I need to add piping to just one section or will I end up cutting it in more than one place?

those extra 10 inches are somewhere between the bend going over the rear axle, at least thats my guess...but you can be sure that you need to cut the piping minimum once probably twice.

Auto-9
04-19-2003, 08:00 PM
The bends are the same, yes. Where the addition length is, I forget sorry. How do I know this? I was having a 3g Eclipse cat-back fitted on my car at the muffler shop. I am pretty sure the additional length comes just before the muffler...but don't quote me on that.

Prophet
04-19-2003, 10:17 PM
The bends are the same, yes. Where the addition length is, I forget sorry. How do I know this? I was having a 3g Eclipse cat-back fitted on my car at the muffler shop. I am pretty sure the additional length comes just before the muffler...but don't quote me on that.

Which cat back did you get and is it really 10 inches piping needed :shock: I thought it was only like 2 to 4 inches.

Auto-9
04-19-2003, 10:40 PM
We didn't actually measure the length required...we just put it up to see if the bends were the same. But I don't really think it's 10 inches...that's kinda long...shoulda taken the opportunity to measure. The brand was Dynomax...which is to me almost the same as Magnaflow.

Prophet
04-19-2003, 10:54 PM
Well I am going to do this. I am not hoping for big gains anyway from the cat back and if the added length is only at the muffler I don't see a problem here. I am more intrested in the sound and the look. I was just really worried about the bends.

I took a look under my car and the stock piping is already looking like crude. I will keep everyone posted.

Ghost Beat
04-19-2003, 11:30 PM
hey makaveli give me a shotu if and when you do this with info on it id highly apprecaite it if it works for you without much work ill do it myself too.

Prophet
04-19-2003, 11:51 PM
hey makaveli give me a shotu if and when you do this with info on it id highly apprecaite it if it works for you without much work ill do it myself too.

No problem. At my boys shop I will even be able to take pictures. I got to warn you though. Even though I am going to do it. It is all a matter of time as to when. Time is not something I have now :cry: :cry: :cry: but my car will be ready for next years HIN. I am going to enter and rep TGC 4 Life.

Ghost Beat
04-20-2003, 01:20 PM
heh nice man im just gona tweak the hell out of my engine im starting to buy parts for the turbo now and hopefully ill try and get down there sometime if i get the turbo done this summer and get the paint and kit done this winter.

TJC
04-20-2003, 02:33 PM
I've heard the figure of 10" too a very long time ago. Everything is the same as the 3G but heard it just has to have a straight lenth of pipe somewhere to extend it farther back. The Galant is longer than the Eclipse.

As for the EO number, unless they make the same product for your car and the same EO number was assigned to both parts because it's basically the same thing with slight differences, you will NOT be exempt b/c it's on a different car.

An example would be like the Injen intake from an Eclipse and the Galant. Since they use the same EO number, it doesn't matter which one you choose to put in your car and still be exempt.

Prophet
04-23-2003, 04:45 PM
Okay a couple more question. I was notice that Greddy does not make a exhaust for the I4 but they do for the V6. There should be no problems with me getting it on shoud there?

Also a little update. It looks like I will not be the first on doing this mod :cry: but one of the Bay Area Chapter members will be. :wink: It's all good though. I will keep everyone informed on the progress and if any problems we might encounter. I don't think we will. And I will have plenty of pictures.