PDA

View Full Version : MY DYNO NUMBERS, SHEETS

DJ Galant
04-19-2003, 05:57 AM
all right. So today (firday) i went to the FactorXEngeneering to tune my car.

LITTLE REMINDER OF MY TURBO TUNING DONE SO FAR ( back from cople moths ago) :

6 months ago my galant was pushing 140 whp at the DYNOJET dyno chase .
I was really disaponted back then, i was about to gave up on my galant - I put so much money for 40 whp gain (basline at 100whp stock).
Well, so i driving like this for about 4 months, till i went on the dyno again to see my air to fuel ratio (they tested it on wide band 0 2 sensors). No mather what i did, the power wasn't comming up, even with max out 550 cc injectors...I found out back then that i am running extremly lean and was really pissed off. I had injectors switch 2 times already and nothing. The

SO WHAT HAPPENED TODAY AT THE DYNO???

As of today, I didn't do any other mods ever since i dynoed my car 6 months, except for one thing that was fucking me up all the time - injectors. I had 310 cc all the time in my car, thinking i had some 550cc!!!!
The reason why i had those 310cc was - one of the guys who ordered the injectors chose a wrong fucking part number. That shit casued me to sped a lot of money to see wtf was wrong with my fuel system
I had my warlbo 255 fuel pump taken out and rewired, and i even thought my vortech fmu is a pos.
However, the whole time I was running 310 cc on my car and that was a big problem that i had.

We decided a week ago that we will put my injectors to check the part number again just to make sure....So we did.
Denso part number indicatd 310 cc injectors, not 550 cc.

I did some more research and i quickly find out that running 550 cc injectors would be too big for my setup.
As of today i switched my inectors to denso 460 cc high imp. injectors.

Took it to the factorxengeneering shop to get it tuned - some client of theirs convinced me to do that. Mike was the tuner there. He is a cool guy i gotta say. He has serious experience as a tuner,engine builder mechanic, and racer. The shop looks very professional, the place is vey clean, they have fabrication room in there, engine building area room, 2 hydraulic lifting racks, some awesome big making hp cars there, lots of tuning tools and of course DynpackDyno Chases.

So i found out 2 vit things at the dyno.
1. MY pipie going from the filter, through mass air sensor, then agian a clamp, piece of pipe and a clam is realy restrictive.
I need to chane it ASAP to get better hp numbers.
2. My boost is only 4.5 psi at the time, even though my autometer shows 5 -6 psi. Yes, i have a little boost creep (.5 psi after 4000 rpm).
So the autometer gauge is off by 1 psi, according to their computerized coneccted one.

Well, folks that's not all. Mike did an excellent job on tuning my SAFC. He tuned all the RPM band past 3000 RPM at 12.2 air to fuel ratio, using dynapck wide band o2 sensors.
I am rich finally, and my EGT temps don't go more than 1470 F at WOT for a long time of driving it.

O.K. Here are some numbers for u, i will post the pics of dyno sheet as soon as i get them from leo, who already took the pics with his digital camera.

i did six runs there. ALL THE RUNS AT 4.5 PSI ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STANDARD HP IS : 181 whp
at MPH: 89
at RPM: 5762

TORQUE: 165 FT/LB ath the wheels
at mph 69
at rpm 4504

THE estimated hp at the crank is 235 hp. Not bad for 4.5 psi turbo galant 4 cylinder.

NOTE: All the runs were taking at 4.5 psi only.
Dynapack is a very expensive dyno chase that proved accuracy and precision over popular dynojet. The hp and ft/lb numbers on dynapack are lower than the ones on dynojet. This is due to the wheels inertia.
In other words, dynojet wheel hp # is higher (overestimated) over dynapck (hp #s are lower about 8 % than the one on dynojet).
Once i will tune my car at 7 psi safely, i will tune it at dynapack and take it later for a baseline on the dynojet to see the differnce in whp without changing anything.
Here is an example how the dynos compare to their whp reeding on WRX.
http://www.vishnutuning.com/How%20Big%20Is...0Horsepower.xls ('http://www.vishnutuning.com/How%20Big%20Is%20Your%20Horsepower.xls')

Another example taken from LAs Vgeas is evospeed eclipse FWD. The car did 475 whp at the dynapack, taken 20 mintues later after cooloff to dynojet dyno without any changes the car was making 525 whp.

MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE AND THOUGHTS:
The car really feels strong in 3 rd and 4 gear. LOts of top end, safe EGT temp even for running and getting on it for a long time.
Though 1 thing that pisses me off is our auto tranny. The first gear is really weak, and turbo kicks in at about 2900 rpm.
The car starts to acctualy accelerate in the 2nd, but my low rpms (1thru 3k) really suck. Once the turbo kicks in though this is where the car is making power.
The thirs is very strong now, i would say this is my stonget gear of all of them, perhaps because it was tuned in the third...
I don't know what my quarter mile time is, but i know my 60 footer would probably be bad, because of my auto tranny.
I wish i had at least bullet proof it so i can boost it 12 psi safely https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

LAST THING TO SAY IS:
I just got my Greddy Manual boost controler, but haven't put it on yet, so once i do and save some money again - i will go back to the dyno and defeniately crank the boost to 7psi, then tune it again, and it should make over 200 whp on dynapcak easly.
I will let u know.
I love the turbos and their possibilties to tune and crank the boost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink: https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Ghost Beat
04-19-2003, 07:44 AM
im gona be gettin a turbo setup soon as i figure out all the in's and outs and what i need im just gona start buying parts since you seem to know a loooooot about all this ill prolly be giving ou a lot of pm's lol i got a i4 too im aiming for a higher hp # tough a lot higher and t have it still be able to drive everyday without hassle's right nwo i just gota start finding parts to buy...

FinalLast
04-19-2003, 09:39 AM
wow
congrats on the progess so far
keep it up!!

HeadAche
04-19-2003, 10:05 AM
Those are some really good numbers.. It sucks ass how your whole injector problem could have resolved if they had just checked the injector part numbers. I had my tranny bulletproofed about 9 months ago, and boost pressure cant actually be raised higher than 12 psi.. I can easily push 15psi, with whp at 274 and 348 to the crank, but my first gear still sucks, so what.. i do get a lot of tire spin during my 60ft though.. My tranny temp only goes to about 1375-1450 approx, if im really standing on it.. My autometer boost gauage was off as well, just like most of the guyz that i know, but it was off by like 1.5-2psi...

SuperchargedGTZ
04-20-2003, 03:54 PM
dj, did you have any issues with a jump rpm signal?

HiperSilver
04-20-2003, 09:33 PM
do you mind posting up yoru exact setup.

do you have a 7g or a 8g

what type turbo, 14b, 16g?

trans upgrades?

what type intercooler,
Internals.

4.5 is nothing, you can safetly boost over 6 psi on that thing.

Stock exhuast?

DJ Galant
04-21-2003, 12:20 AM
gtz - i am not sure what excately did u mean by your question - but as far as i know i had no problems with any rmp jumps signal. Did u mean -on the dyno or what?

DJ Galant
04-21-2003, 12:22 AM
My ride is 4g64 '99 8g HiperSylver.

here is my complete turbo system:
Turbo: TDO5 - small 16g
2g eclipse gst exhaust manifold
Custom made adapter
Custom fibricated downpipe
Wastgate: Turbonetics Delta Mark II External
Intercooler: Spearco Front Mount (don't know the part #) 2.25" and 2.5" pipng neck output Air/Air
Custom 2.5" exhaust all the way, currently with OBX muffler ( switching to HKS muffler whuch i just purchesed but not installed yet)
Apex'i Twin Chamber Blow Off Valve
Transmission Cooler
Clams, Oil Lines
Pipes are mandrel band high quality, custom made painted black
4" Mitsubishi air filter adapter (aluminum)
OBX 3" air filter
K&N Breather

Fuel Control:
460 cc High Impidia Denso Fuel Injectors
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Apex'i Super Air Flow Converter (SAFC)
Vortech 10:1 Fuel Pressure Regulator

Gauges:
Autometer Pro Comp Boost Gauge
Autometer Pro Comp EGT Gauge (soon changing to Greaddy)

Engine Internals:
JE custom made low compression turbo pistons
JE rings
Stock Mitsubishi Head Gasket

Spark Plugs:
NGK BKR7E

Greaddy Turbo Timer
Greddy / Trust IVVc manual boost contoler (purchused, but not installed yet)

Turbo Kit designed custom and installed by Tony from Final Stage TRD motorsports in Las Vegas.
Tuned by Factor X Engeenering in Las Vegas, NV on dynapck dyno.

SuperchargedGTZ
04-21-2003, 09:17 AM
what i meant by is....a jumpy rpm signal to the afc. if you look at the afc while the car is running the rpms (on the afc) are jumpy. alot of people have had major problems with the rpm signal jumpin around with a afc/afr. there are actually fixes for this being sold on the 3G board.

why are you going to a greddy egt...is it better...cheaper??

DJ Galant
04-21-2003, 04:19 PM
nope ...i don't have that problem on mine. I believe it is only for V6. I have a 4 cylinder and no problems whatsover with the SAFC. No jumpy rpms, no problems.

escoson
04-21-2003, 04:26 PM
pretty sick for 4.5 psi. boost it up to 12 and see what happens https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

DJ Galant
04-22-2003, 12:50 AM
Today i was going on the freeway way over 120 mph, and after i slowed down, i tried to accelerate again and i noticed that i am only boosting 2 psi...i must have a boost leak somewhere...
good thing i got my boost contoller, i need to put it on Asap.
Checked the upper IP and it is ok.
I need to lift the car and see if my lower IP is tight, and tight all my clamps anyway....

seth98esT
04-22-2003, 01:09 AM
sounds like some good #s for 4.5psi of boost. i really want to see some pics of ur setup