PDA

View Full Version : Intake Manifold

Black2k1GTZ
08-25-2002, 07:30 PM
I was reading this months Import Tuner, the "Power Pages" section, and I was looking at their Integra GSR project car. Anyways they were modding the intake system with a larger throttle body and Venom intake manifold with injectors. Now my question is...is anyone planning on making an intake manifold for the 6g72??? I was thinking about contacting RPW on this...but wasnt sure if they were doing it already, or if there are any other companies planning on it.

According to the tech sheets, they saw upwards of 10 hp when properly tuned with an AFC...so since I will have the AFC from when I get my headers, and the 70mm RPW throttle body already...will this be a wise mod to do...I mean will it be worth the money????? Any +'s or -'s of putting one on??

Marc :mg:

burthold
08-25-2002, 07:39 PM
You can have custom work done like port matching polish and extrude the intake where the larger TB mounts to match the diameter of the TB. I don't know if you would get 10hp or there abouts. It can be done. I don't know anyone that is making a quality intake for our cars.

Wes

BigAlBrown
08-31-2002, 12:06 AM
You can have custom work done like port matching polish and extrude the intake where the larger TB mounts to match the diameter of the TB. I don't know if you would get 10hp or there abouts. It can be done. I don't know anyone that is making a quality intake for our cars.

Wes

Actually Wes the stock intake lookes pretty quality to me. I think port matching the upper and lower, and the heads and the lower, would make a big improvement. Also the larger TB. Remember these FI systems are dry down to the intake valve, so all we are talking about is moving air,and whatever gives the least restriction will be an improvement.

What I am looking for is where does all the HEAT come from. I have looked at the TB coolant bypass mod but the intake manifold on my 2k2 EXV6 is too hot to touch after my commute home. Is this from the EGR or is there some coolant riser under the top half I don't know about?

It would definately help to take some of the heat out of the intake if possible.
Big Al

CRH-1
08-31-2002, 03:02 PM
YEP, I would have to agree with BigAl.

burthold
08-31-2002, 03:39 PM
Well, there are only a few ways to cool the intake. One is pretty streight foward. You put a non heat conducting spacer between the intake and the engine. There is quite a bit of heat soak there. I know there is a guy who is making them but I haven't heard the final outcome on HP increases or the like. Two, cool the air intake charge aka nitrous or some type of air cooler. I know some people are saying "But, hey wes isn't nitrous an oxidizer?" Why, yes it is but it also cools the intake charge some what once it hits the combustion chamber. Other than that there is very little you can do to cool the air intake charge on a NA engine that doesn't start costing some bucks.

Wes

pinoyesv6
09-02-2002, 04:40 PM
i haven't really looked into this but you might wanna study the 03 eclipse GTS intake system. how it works etc etc. i know that adds a lil bit more power. you might be able to do a swap or possibly get some ideas from that

Tiller
09-02-2002, 04:49 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burthold)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well, there are only a few ways to cool the intake. One is pretty streight foward. You put a non heat conducting spacer between the intake and the engine. There is quite a bit of heat soak there. I know there is a guy who is making them but I haven't heard the final outcome on HP increases or the like. Â*Two, cool the air intake charge aka nitrous or some type of air cooler. I know some people are saying "But, hey wes isn't nitrous an oxidizer?" Why, yes it is but it also cools the intake charge some what once it hits the combustion chamber. Other than that there is very little you can do to cool the air intake charge on a NA engine that doesn't start costing some bucks.

Wes</div>

called "phenolic spacers", and they are avaialble for the Eclipse, so i assume they may work on the Galant as well... the intake manifold is different on the GTS though, as it looks like they lengthened the intake runners on the GTS, thus where they got the extra 10hp for the GTS... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

Not sure if this is a feasable swap for the Galant though... seems to me it could be a pretty cheap cost effective way to bump up the power a bit, if you can find a manifold from an 03 that has been junked... there's plenty of room in the bay for it to fit...

burthold
09-02-2002, 04:54 PM
Looking on the eclipse boards there are some issues with putting the GTS intake manafold on any other engine. I think they said the GTS manafold is controlled by the ECU and changes the air flow dynamics in some way.

Wes

TJC
09-02-2002, 06:20 PM
The intake spacers are really thick and it raises the air intake plenum high enough where some things don't mount to the original spot on the plenum anymore, one of them namely the EGR pipe in the back. In theory this works but not sure how well. One phenomenon it does also do is actually now your intake length is lengthened so just like the effect of the GTS version, longer intakes I believe gives you more torque (correct me if I'm wrong on this point).

burthold
09-02-2002, 07:49 PM
I don't know how significant the torque increase would be due to a longer intake run for the air charge. Did you find anything about gains though?

Wes