PDA

View Full Version : Engine Whine sound

hpa350n
06-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Hey Guys!

I got a weird problem.

Since last week my engine's been making a whiny high pitched sound. It almost sounds like a supercharger (my car's completely stock). The sound changes in pitch in relation to engine revs. Vehicle speed does not have any relation to the noise.

Recent changes done to the car (if it helps)
New struts, control arms, stabilizer links in the front. The sound started after I got these changed but I don't see how they are related.

What do you guys think it could be?

Black8GV6
06-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Check your motor mounts, I heard that noise from my engine and it turned out to be I had 2 busted mounts and some how that noise was beeing made as the engine was moving.

hpa350n
06-09-2012, 10:30 PM
When the engine is idling, there are no unusual vibrations. Can it still be the motor mounts?

On the other hand.... I just got back from a drive and noticed that between 65 and 70 mph, if I back off the gas just a little bit the car bucks back and forth kinda like a horse. It feels like it doesn't want to coast. It also feels a bit sluggish to accelerate. Not sure if these are related.

I have the 2.4 ES

ricerboy4g64
06-19-2012, 01:16 PM
kinda sounds like the power steering fluid could be low. have you checked that?

hpa350n
06-24-2012, 12:26 AM
The powers steering fluid level seems to be fine. Turning the steering wheel doesn't cause any unusual noises.

Only when accelerating will it make that high pitched whine noise. I'll see if I can record the sound of it and post it here.

BIG_WILLY_831
11-20-2012, 05:55 PM
I don't know if you figured it out but my 9g galant started doing the same thing last night as I was looking I notice the power steering pulley seem to be a little wably I looked in a new one but they either have reman crap ones for $85 or oe from mutsubishi for $449 I'm gonna keep looking and hope it don't get worse.

Sent from my galaxy S3 using tapatalk 2

hpa350n
08-13-2013, 06:56 PM
SOLVED!

Turns out my belts were worn out. I had my timing belt replaced and the engine no longer makes a whining sound. Now the idle is smooth and the engine revs freely without feeling like it's struggling.