PDA

View Full Version : Suspension help

shartOFwar
06-14-2012, 05:38 PM
Ok so last Saturday the 9th I received my Megan racing coilover kit for my 2004 ES. Read the directions very carefully before I touched anything. Pre-loaded the springs, evened out the ride heights and measured everything with a set of dial calipers. So now the install. Went very smoothly, all bolt on everything matched up no modifications whatsoever. Now, I lowered the car back on the ground check measurements and adjusted ride height accordingly using the lower-most locking perch closest to the hub mount. Sorry this is a bit long-winded. everything is tight all around, proper torque specs. Well now its Thursday(today) and the front-end is rattling like a MOFO. Only over small bumps at low speeds. So now im nervous and I figure I mess something up. Check it all again. Mounts, perches, even the nut at top of the strut tower under the dampening nob. All tight as hell with no play. Im so lost at this point and I'm afraid its really going to jack something up day-to-day. Please I could really use the Forum's help with this. Before this setup I had megan racing lowering springs on stock struts. No noise or sounds at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dan. And I may have pics if you guys would like

Black8GV6
06-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Check your sway bar endlinks, lowering a car is known to wear them out. You could also check the ball joints. I know on the 8G V6 if lowered with bad axles you will def get some strong vibrations.

Sleepervr-4
06-14-2012, 06:18 PM
Sounds like sway bar bushings to me but I would also check the end links, tie rods, ball joints etc.

shartOFwar
06-14-2012, 06:48 PM
Alright, I checked the sway bar end links that connect to the coilovers, I can kind of twist them side to side by hand but they are still pretty snug on both ends. They sway bar bushings? as far as where their connected to the steering rack I think? Tie rods and ball joints ill check tomorrow. I kind of ran out of time.

G-spot
06-14-2012, 07:37 PM
yes stock front sway bar links will do that to coilovers since it (sway links) are designed for spring/strut setup. If its installed in an awkward position it make rattling noises when turning. Most coilovers have adjustable sway bar link attachments you just need to adjust it to your likings and keep it snug. If you have extra $$$ lying around try investing in some adjustable sway bar links

shartOFwar
06-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Well the thing is, turning is fine. its driving is a straight line over imperfections in the road or pot holes on back roads. Cruising the highway is smooth for the most part but its the lower speeds that really bring out the noise. on my set-up the sway bar end links just bolt right in to the coilover where the factory mount used to be. No adjustment possible on this set-up. now obviously it brought the sway bar down a lot lower than it was before. So do you think it could still be the bushings even though its rather snug?

JesterheadGTS
06-15-2012, 09:28 PM
my car bounces really bad at low speeds one even slightly wavey pavement. and i have stock suspension (GTS), i've never owned a car with "sport suspension" (at least that's what mitsu calls it), so i figured maybe it was a little normal. but maybe yours and mine can be answered in one shot lol

shartOFwar
07-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Alright so since I first posted this thread, something in the front has still been rattling like mad and I have since replaced the sway bar bushings with energy suspension polyurethane as well as the control arm bushings at the same time. yesterday morning (Saturday) I decided to lift the car up again and give it another peek and also check on the bushings to make sure they were still snug on the mounts. So I get the car up in the air and im looking around , and I see this green greasy sludge crap all over the driver's side control arm, and most of all the other suspension components. well crap I see a completely ripped-in-half boot on the cv axle closest to the transmission. Well now I know whats been rattling and clicking all of this time. Its been progressively getting worse and now it seems to be shot. so tonight I went ahead and ordered a new complete cv axle and will be here tuesday afternoon. So i'm hoping, all will be good as new. And while i'm on the topic of new parts, My new RRE underdrive pulley came in yesterday. freakin sweet! I'll keep you guys posted

krazienluv10
07-08-2012, 10:36 PM
sounds great, cant wait!