PDA

View Full Version : Limp Mode TCM?

JustinAH91
07-08-2012, 10:43 PM
I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES (2.4l, Automatic Transmission F4A42) with aproximately 127,000 miles on it. Car is in limp mode (3rd gear) with a CEL of P0743 Torque Converter Solenoid Electrical. Changed the TCC Solenoid, did not fix. Cleaned all grounds, did not fix. Checked fuses, all look good. Transmission fluid bright red and smells fine. Checked wires, all of them look good and none are broken. Cleaned all the connectors with contact cleaner and made sure they were all seated well. Had code cleared but it comes back immediately. I am looking into a TCM now. Is the TCM a seperate unit or is it tied in with the ECU/ECM/PCM? Where is it located? Is it outside under the hood on the passenger side at the firewall? Any way to test it before replacing it?

Thanks!

QnzMostWanted
07-08-2012, 10:56 PM
The PCM controls everything, there isnt a separate TCM in the 8g

JustinAH91
07-08-2012, 11:03 PM
Okay. Where is it located? Is there a way to test it before replacing it?

OMEGA PHX
07-08-2012, 11:50 PM
Okay. Where is it located? Is there a way to test it before replacing it?

Its behind the glove box.

bgood12
07-09-2012, 12:39 AM
Take glove box, lower part of dash like the one part that goes from right of sterring column-part of radio console-to part that glove box attaches to, then take out 6 bolts for the ac assembly (can come out as whole and you should see it there without taking the top part of dash apart. Tale your time and carefully remove wiring so u can pull things out but its not too bad.

JustinAH91
07-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Okay didn't want to go through all of that right away, so took it to a transmission shop. They pulled a mitsubishi specific code of 36. He said the most plausible cause is a solenoid wiring harness short and to pinpoint it we would have to drop the pan and tear the wiring harness to the PCM off which costs lots of $$$ to do. What is code 36? I tried looking and couldn't find anything on it.