PDA

View Full Version : Sub short

TheG3
08-13-2012, 12:30 AM
I have the rockford fosgate upgraded sound system and the two 6x9s stopped responding. the tweeter on top still works but the subs won't produce sound... heres the story so far. i have two extra tweeters spliced in that have not caused a problem in a year. however the passenger side 6x9 sub has been giving me issues so i took it out to work on it and in the process i pinched the extra tweeter wire and it started smoking so i disconnected it immediately. however the issue now is that the two subwoofers will not produce a sound and both work perfectly fine when hooked up to a different sound system. I have a feeling i blew a fuse but when i checked all the radio fuses they all were fine. the radio works perfect all the speakers produce sound and will pick up the bass but when i turn up the subs they do not respond at all. any possible ideas as to what could have happened? im desperate and i love that deep kick they give. HELP!!!!

oakrdrs187
08-13-2012, 12:34 AM
Splicing speakers....bridging tweeters....smoking and shorts. Sounds to me like the factory amp is bad.

TheG3
08-13-2012, 06:38 AM
How would I check that? Wouldn't the fuse have blown before ruining the amp. It was working beautifully 5 minutes prior to me taking the 6x9 out.

wetamup2k3g
08-13-2012, 02:26 PM
So I'm confused. Did you work on it while it was hooked up still or did you pinch the wires while the speaker was out and put it in with the wires still pinched? Either way, if the system sent out signal and the wires were shorted together, it very well could have killed that channel inside the amp. Get a DMM, set it to AC volts, put one speaker wire on one lead and the other on the other lead, turn on the system and see what you get. If you get no volts at all or a very small reading, chances are that's channel is burnt out and you'd need to replace the amp probably.

BTW what issues were the 6 x 9 woofers giving you?

TheG3
08-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Nah, what happened was i unplugged it and when i unplugged it, the tweeter i added to the line started to smoke (probably due to the lack of space and tight movements) so i disconnected the added tweeter immediately. I fixed the sub so it worked again and went to plug it back in and realized the other sub wasn't putting out sound. so now i have two useless subs. I messed with the amp, which btw is impossible to reach. But it everything worked fine, the speakers all responded when i unplugged harnesses and reconnected them, however the two subs won't kick... The issue was with the passenger side sub, the wire that connected the terminal to the coil was frayed due to wear and tear so i had to replace it simple cut and rewire. All the fuses have checked out perfect as well. Could it really have only effected the subs?

TheG3
08-13-2012, 07:52 PM
legitimately desperate too, just as a fall back does anyone know where to get a replacement amp... calling mitsubishi is my last resort. and google/ebay/craigslist are failing me miserably.

wetamup2k3g
08-13-2012, 09:38 PM
So the system was on when the speaker was out? Not being able to see your system, I can't say for sure but it sounds like something shorted out the amp. I looked on google, I saw nothing either. Turn the sound system totally off when working on any part of it for future reference. Also, Now may be the time to save up and upgrade, I like my bass coming from real subwoofers, 6 X 9's won't cut it anymore once you step up to a 10" or 12". Adding in speakers means you thought something extra was needed, so build a system with components and be amazed at your clarity and power! Good luck man!

GWAPS
08-13-2012, 09:46 PM
legitimately desperate too, just as a fall back does anyone know where to get a replacement amp... calling mitsubishi is my last resort. and google/ebay/craigslist are failing me miserably.

Dnt call mitsu, i have my stock amp do u want it?

TheG3
08-14-2012, 06:40 AM
Dnt call mitsu, i have my stock amp do u want it?

Yes! PM me and we can talk more about it. Thanks dood!...
Yeah I was gonna do the upgraded sound system with two Alpine Type R 10s but after the amp and the upgraded headunit (along with the loss of the steering wheel control) i was looking at around 800... could you help me put together a cheaper setup?

Redhaze
08-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Never wire stuff up like that unless you know what your doing. over loading that stock amp could've set your whole car on fire instead it just pooped on you; you got lucky.

TheG3
10-26-2012, 03:25 PM
havent been here for a while, figured all of you would be concerned (haha)... turns out the shitty wiring that mitsu and rockford did will making the subs just frayed. replaced both subs with better wire. cars bumpin again beautifully.