PDA

View Full Version : not starting 4cyl..searched.

screaming6
08-18-2012, 04:54 PM
so zero problems for 3 yrs on my 2002 no signs of anything...about 3 weeks ago car didn't start 1 morning. Turns over but no start.

I hear lots of problems with camshaft and crankshaft position sensor but I get no engine codes...NONE. Not sure if they are bad do they have to throw a code? Cause I don't have the money to just randomly buy parts.

I get spark as well. Also sprayed starting fluid in the throttle body...nothing. So not sure if its fuel...

changed spark plugs, oil is good. Has compression.

pulled cover off belt and it looks fine...

this sucks I have no car. Any ideas

E_Emerson88
08-18-2012, 05:32 PM
have you checked the battery/alternator?

oakrdrs187
08-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Since you have spark, Have you checked for fuel?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

QnzMostWanted
08-19-2012, 07:22 PM
remove the bottom of the rear seat, turn the key to the on position, u should hear the fuel pump prime, if u dont, i'd suggest looking there

RedGalant2k1
08-20-2012, 09:09 AM
Sounds to me like you have a good start on things, as Qnz, and Oak said, you need to check for fuel. However, it certainly could have an issues with a crank position sensor. Those are NOT super expensive to replace, so if you had to, it isn't the end of the world.

screaming6
08-20-2012, 08:17 PM
battery is good and alternator doesn't have anything to do with starting up the car...only charging. I've tried the starting fluid and it doesn't even make a difference so I don't think its fuel...but I leave it as a possible. Will pull seat tomorrow to check...

my main question is would I neccessarily and absolutely have to have a check engine light on if it was the crank sensor? Wouldn't I not have any spark? Or would it just be off of time?

troubled4g64t
08-20-2012, 08:53 PM
For me it was easier to take the return line off my regulator put an extra piece of hose on and run it into a bottle that's how I know I have no fuel.

troubled4g64t
08-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Since I just found this on my car with a similar issue che k the 20 amp fuse in the under hood fuse box

galant1210
08-21-2012, 07:23 PM
***When you crank it a couple of times you should be able to smell fuel. I once had my GTZ not starting up and was able to smell the fuel cause of multiple cranks. Came out to be a bad Distributor.

troubled4g64t
08-21-2012, 07:32 PM
He has a 4cyl so he would have to have no power to either coil pack or no fuel odds of both packs being dead is slim no fuel is more likely from the sounds of. Not that it stutters just doesn' start