PDA

View Full Version : FSE Rising Rate FPR from RPW *Updated - PICS*

Fishboy55
08-25-2002, 09:18 PM
Hey kids,

I just finished installing the FSE rising rate FPR from RPW, available from their normal distribution dealers. All I can saw is WOW! It really makes a difference under normal driving conditions It smoothed out all of the flat spots and hesitation that I experienced after installing my headers. I've currently got it set for about 44PSI. The only downside I can attribute to the unit are the installation instructions, which are a bit sketchy. It's not too tough to install as long as you don't make the mistake I did. When looking at our fuel rail setup, the fuel comes into the fuel rail, runs past the injectors and then runs through the FPR and back to the tank. Although this seems ass backwards, that's the way it is.

When you install the kit, you'l keep your existing FPR and install the new one. The new FPR will overide the stock FPR. You'll need to put a "T" connector in the vacumn line to feed both the stock and the new FPR. The rest is pretty easy. Your existing return line will become the inlet line to the new FPR and you'll run a new hose from the outlet of the new FPR back to your fuel rail, where you disconnected the original return line. Then split the vacumn line to both units, and you're good to go.

Now I know some of you are going to ask me for a tutorial, but in thinking about it, I don't plan to write one. There's too much liability involved with the fuel system and I don't want to be responsible for anyone getting hurt in case I leave something out of the directions by accident. I'd feel terrible if anything happened. The one thing I will tell you is to be sure and remove your fuel pump relay and start the car to release any fuel system pressure before you disconnect any fuel lines. Secondly do all your work with the battery disconnected for safety. Finally, get the optional pressure gauge that is sold with the unit so you can easily know what you raise and lower your fuel pressure to as needed.

Matt at Vision Imports and David at RPW can answer any install questions you might have. As far as mods go, this is one I highly recommend.

Chip

Black2k1GTZ
08-25-2002, 09:54 PM
Ive been waiting to hear about this...god job Chip. Do you have any pictures of it installed??? Also how much was it and how long did it take to install it???

Marc :mg:

Auto-9
08-25-2002, 10:07 PM
Hmmm...if we're already running a bit rich though think it's still necessary for the new FPR?

TJC
08-26-2002, 03:10 AM
Great job Chip on the report. Lots of ppl been looking for a decent one to compensate for the flat spots.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hmmm...if we're already running a bit rich though think it's still necessary for the new FPR?</div>

It is a rising rate FPR so should adjust accordingly to your throttle.

Fishboy55
08-26-2002, 07:24 AM
Marc: I'll try and take some pics tonight and post them. As far as time it takes to do the install, I'm slower than normal, So I would say between 30 and 60 minutes. My price was discounted directly from RPW because of my assistance with the header prototype. I'm not sure what the price is from Vision or Phantom or the other RPW dealers.

TJC: Thanks for the compliments. It really does do the trick to smooth out the fuel curve.

Ralifan: Yes, it's a rising rate regulator, so it should adjust to the throttle position and deliver fuel as needed without changing the A/F ratio too drastically. I'm going to watch my gas mileage for the first tank and see if I notice any major differences.

Chip

Danger DANJ
08-26-2002, 10:02 AM
So would you recommend this over an Apex SAFC?

Is there any eletrical work that has to be done or just messing around with the fuel and vacuum lines?

Also, how big is the optional pressure gauge? Can it be mounted in the empty pocket of the console inside the car?

Fishboy55
08-26-2002, 10:29 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danger DANJ)</div><div class='quotemain'>So would you recommend this over an Apex SAFC?

I think they serve two different purposes. The SAFC allows you to actually tune the mixture, while this allows you to adjust the pressure to the injectors. I'm not quite sure how the SAFC works, but I get the impression it's more sophisticated.

Is there any eletrical work that has to be done or just messing around with the fuel and vacuum lines?

No electrical work at all. Just the fule lines and the vacuum connections is it.

Also, how big is the optional pressure gauge? Can it be mounted in the empty pocket of the console inside the car?

The pressure gauge is small. maybe about two inches in diameter. I haven't measured it. I suppose you could mount it in the cockpit. It would require you to run a hose from the brass fitting on the FPR into the cockpit and make sure the hose has a fitting on the cockpit end to accept the gauge. I wouldn't recommend this, however, because the gauge is driven by the pressure of the fuel , so you'd potentially be putting a fuel line inside the cockpit. That sounds like a recipe for disaster. Also, the adjustment is directly on the FPR, so having the gauge attached to it makes adjusting easier and more precise.</div> Hope that answers your questions Dave.

Chip

Black2k1GTZ
08-26-2002, 10:34 AM
Dave if you wanted to, I guess you could use something like an Auto-Meter Air/Fuel guage to measure it...you would get an accurate reading...the guage on teh FPR would allow you to measure the fuel pressure and the A/F guage would allow you to see how it is mixing together...if its leans or rich.

Marc :mg:

Danger DANJ
08-26-2002, 01:25 PM
Oh, I see. I thought the gauge was something you needed to keep an eye on when driving the car. I realize now that it's just to give you an accurate reading of psi when you tune the FPR. Thanks.

Fishboy55
08-26-2002, 06:42 PM
Here's a link to pics of the FPR installed on my firewall. You can't see much, but you can see how the gauge is integrated into the regulator. The silver crown nut on top covers the adjustment screw. The red line is the vacuum line going back to a "T" connection from the stock FPR.
CLICK HERE ('http://photos.yahoo.com/redhotblues_2000')

Chip

Mitsiman
08-27-2002, 03:59 AM
The FPR units are used to acheive a different purpose as opposed to a AFC controller.

This is more to sort out the physical feul pressure to injectors on hard acceleration that can be lacking. An AFR unit can open the injectors more but if there is no fuel pressure behind it ....................

The FPR can also richen up the fuel curve by raising the fuel pressure as well but this is a crude form of enrichment but good for very small changes at a minor level. Standard pressure is 38 psi at idle and I rarely recomend going over 45 / 48 psi at idle. Any more than this and yuo really need an AFR unit.

The FPR is also good for when an AFR unit runs out of adjustement - richen up the FPR unit and then readjust all your fuel curves easily.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.ayu

MnGalant
09-05-2002, 07:29 PM
Performance wise how well is it. If it will get rid of my hesitation that would be cool as hell

Fishboy55
09-05-2002, 10:32 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MnGalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>Performance wise how well is it. Â*If it will get rid of my hesitation that would be cool as hell</div>It's damn nice. I can tell the difference. I never real had hesitation, but now I've got zip that I didn't have. I'd describe it as instant throttle response. Well worth the investment. Thanks for the recommendation David.

Chip

pinoyesv6
09-05-2002, 10:36 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MnGalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>Performance wise how well is it. Â*If it will get rid of my hesitation that would be cool as hell</div>It's damn nice. I can tell the difference. I never real had hesitation, but now I've got zip that I didn't have. I'd describe it as instant throttle response. Well worth the investment. Thanks for the recommendation David.

Chip</div>

i can too chip .remember when u first got the headers and we went to the parking garage. and then remember what happened yesterday...alarms right and left hahahhaha

Fishboy55
09-05-2002, 10:39 PM
LOL Allan. I counted 4 before we got to the top level. I think we're good with the intake. All I need now is the pipe and the right bends/angles.

Chip

pinoyesv6
09-05-2002, 10:40 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>LOL Allan. I counted 4 before we got to the top level. I think we're good with the intake. All I need now is the pipe and the right bends/angles.

Chip</div>

isn't that what u needed in the first place hahaha. when do u leave for florida? maybe we can get thing done b4 u go...or something like that

Fishboy55
09-05-2002, 10:47 PM
Saturday morning at 10. I don't think we've got time. And no, what I meant was i got the filter mount and the joint to the injen figured out, I think. Lowe's was out of pipe so I gotta go to Hechingers. We'll do it when I get back or something.

Chip

pinoyesv6
09-05-2002, 10:49 PM
Saturday morning at 10. I don't think we've got time. And no, what I meant was i got the filter mount and the joint to the injen figured out, I think. Lowe's was out of pipe so I gotta go to Hechingers. We'll do it when I get back or something.

Chip

what size pipe chip. i might have some at home...anyways is home depot lol...

Fishboy55
09-05-2002, 10:52 PM
leave me alone...it's late...LOL Hechingers....what a goof....3 inches...same as the intake. rubber joiner to new pipe...

pinoyesv6
09-05-2002, 11:00 PM
leave me alone...it's late...LOL Hechingers....what a goof....3 inches...same as the intake. rubber joiner to new pipe...

nm don't got it. but remember there are 3 different types. they got the regular ones...there is like a sewer grade or something like that. but for maxiumum airflow, minimum filteration they got preforated hehe. if u wanna be cheap haha. get the preforated, slip a couple layers of pantyhose on it. and not only is it your intake pipe but its ur filter too

Los
09-07-2002, 08:00 PM
can anyone help me out here? I just wanna understand FPRs a little better.

Hey I know chip is gone for a couple of weeks, but are these Fprs available yet? How much would on on these cost, and is it something I would want to do to a I4(no headers or exhaust yet)?

VegasMatt
12-14-2002, 05:48 PM
I am installing my FPR that I received from Vision next Friday, these pics will help alot. Thanks Chip.

Matt

TJC
12-14-2002, 11:23 PM
Hmmm, I ordered mine like last month and still haven't received it yet. Wonder if mine is in the mail too, lol.

NRG
12-14-2002, 11:31 PM
Does that FPR fit the I4??

TJC
12-14-2002, 11:38 PM

I think they have two versions. Just email Vision Imports or RPW for details.

pinoyesv6
12-15-2002, 03:55 PM

I think they have two versions. Just email Vision Imports or RPW for details.

yea the i4 needs a special adaptor for installation. but yea just cnotect rpw or something like tjc said

Mante
12-19-2002, 08:47 AM

They do make an I4 version, I believe RPW has one. Now I know that Obx has one that replaces the stock fpr and comes with everything you would need inorder to install the fpr

VegasMatt
01-12-2003, 05:42 PM
OK guys,
I just installed the FPR and man what a difference. I had to rig it and use a T connector to tap the nitrous as well.

I left the shop and went down a few side streets to get on the freeway so I could really let it rip. I made a left onto the off ramp and gunned it and wow, the pickup of the galant just took off. By the time I was merging onto the freeway I noticed that i was almost doing 90mph. When you give it the extra gas there are no more flat spots were it lags between 65-75 (like I had before). I need to crank it up to 44psi like Chip mentions. Right now I am a little below that.

If anyone is planning on getting this, I would highly recommend it.

Matt

Mante
01-12-2003, 07:53 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VegasMatt)</div><div class='quotemain'>OK guys, Â*
I just installed the FPR and man what a difference. Â*I had to rig it and use a T connector to tap the nitrous as well. Â*

I left the shop and went down a few side streets to get on the freeway so I could really let it rip. Â* I made a left onto the off ramp and gunned it and wow, the pickup of the galant just took off. Â* By the time I was merging onto the freeway I noticed that i was almost doing 90mph. Â*When you give it the extra gas there are no more flat spots were it lags between 65-75 (like I had before). Â*I need to crank it up to 44psi like Chip mentions. Â*Right now I am a little below that.

If anyone is planning on getting this, I would highly recommend it.

Matt</div>

dyno tune it, you may notice even more. Im not sure if chip noticed any different but I sure as hell did

pinoyesv6
01-12-2003, 08:33 PM
yea dyno tune it. uhm i believe when chip got his tuned they kick his up somewher in the 70 psi range. but yea ur car will vary.

Fishboy55
01-13-2003, 06:08 AM
Actually when I had mine dyno'd they cranked it up to 60 PSI. It gave me one extra HP and about 2 pounds of torque. The problem I had with that is that my car was really hard to start after that because of the extra fuel in the cylinders. So I cranked it down to 50 PSI. Now it starts better. But yea, anywhere around 45 to 50 will take out your flat spots.

Chip

Mante
01-13-2003, 06:58 AM
yea mine is around 48ish psi. remarkably coming out of 3rd at 110 doenst pull as strong but that flat spot around 3k-4.5k rpm is gone...

krazienluv10
04-27-2003, 02:57 AM
hey guys i just got mine today and had a question... i the 45-50 psi at idle or is the engine off??? thanks

Fishboy55
04-27-2003, 05:17 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(krazienluv10)</div><div class='quotemain'>hey guys i just got mine today and had a question... i the 45-50 psi at idle or is the engine off??? thanks</div>

If the engine is off, there isn't any fuel pressure. 8) But it's a good question. I set mine to 48-50 pounds at idle. On track days, I'd turn it up to 60psi, but be warned that may make your car harder to start.

WARNING! Be sure and disconnect the fuel pump relay under the hood, then continue to start the car until it will no longer starts before doing any fuel system work. This will release a lot of the pressure and clear the fuel out of the lines.

Lazarus
04-27-2003, 06:35 PM
Anyone with an I4 have a pc of their setup. I have got mine "installed" I just wanna make sure it's right. pretty much I just have the return line running through the FPR. But the Gauge on it says lole high 48-50 psi. Thanks again.

Mante
04-27-2003, 06:38 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lazarus)</div><div class='quotemain'>Anyone with an I4 have a pc of their setup. I have got mine "installed" I just wanna make sure it's right. pretty much I just have the return line running through the FPR. But the Gauge on it says lole high 48-50 psi. Thanks again.</div>

50 psi...whoa if I can remember correctly 55ish flooded the cylinder so be weary of where its set.

Lazarus
04-27-2003, 06:57 PM
how do I adjust it? It didn't come with directions CHIP

krazienluv10
04-28-2003, 02:10 AM
okay just to make sure im gonna do this right the fuel passes the ruel rails runs past injectors, then goes to stock fpr and then runs through the adjustable fpr and then the tank... right??? sorry i bought a different one on ebay and the guy didnt email the instructions as he was suppose to...

ohhh yea where is the fuel pump relay??? is that just the fuse???

Fishboy55
04-28-2003, 06:15 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lazarus)</div><div class='quotemain'>how do I adjust it? It didn't come with directions CHIP</div>
Sorry CJ. I thought a True Tuner could figure it out. Remove the 1/2 inch cap nut on the top of the unit. loosen the 1/2 inch locking nut you find under it. Turn the screw to raise or lower the fuel pressure. Then tighten the nut.

Chip

Fishboy55
04-28-2003, 06:18 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(krazienluv10)</div><div class='quotemain'>okay just to make sure im gonna do this right the fuel passes the ruel rails runs past injectors, then goes to stock fpr Â*and then runs through the adjustable fpr and then the tank... right??? sorry i bought a different one on ebay and the guy didnt email the instructions as he was suppose to... Â*

ohhh yea where is the fuel pump relay??? is that just the fuse???</div>
Yes, you have exactly the right path. So it's the return hose you splice into.

Check your owners manual. On the V6, it's in the fuse box under the hood, and it's one of the front relays. There's a picture of an engine on the fusebox cover. And no, it's not a fuse, it's a relay.

Chip

Lazarus
04-28-2003, 08:35 AM
cut me some slack bro it's my 1st FPR

BlankMan
04-28-2003, 01:16 PM
Hey FPR team - couple questions hope y'all can answer...

1) Does your MPG suffer with the increased pressure?
2) Will the injectors or stock pump be affected by the increased pressure?
3) Any other negatives from yer experience on the FPR?

Thanks

J

Mante
04-28-2003, 06:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlankMan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey FPR team - couple questions hope y'all can answer...

Thanks

J</div>

1- if your worried about mpg drive stock..simple as that
2-your injectors will thank u..I think they have to work less or something around those lines. the fuel pump is a true POS so replacing that will comein due time
3-worse case scenario..yea as bad as you can imagine...realistically once its tuned by a pro on a dyno just remember two settings street and track and you should be good to go

Fishboy55
04-28-2003, 07:53 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mante)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlankMan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey FPR team - couple questions hope y'all can answer...

Thanks

J</div>

1- if your worried about mpg drive stock..simple as that
2-your injectors will thank u..I think they have to work less or something around those lines. the fuel pump is a true POS so replacing that will comein due time
3-worse case scenario..yea as bad as you can imagine...realistically once its tuned by a pro on a dyno just remember two settings street and track and you should be good to go</div>
Just to elaborate on that:
1a-Like any other mod, you're mileage will decrease because you're gonna be testing it all the time..
2a-Depending on where you go with your upgrades. Any kind of FI will want more fuel, but also bigger injectors.
3a-I had mine tuned on the dyno. I went from 48psi to 60psi. (measured at idle) At 60psi and no other changes I gained 1.3HP to the wheels. That's on a V6, stock injectors, stock pump. So yea, it should be set it and forget it.

As stated way back in this post's first life. I take no responsibility for any damage as a result of modifications you make to your car.

krazienluv10
04-28-2003, 07:59 PM
yay i installed the regulator hehe with some help of my friend. :evil: my friend told me i didnt need to tee the pressure line, all he did was put a cap on the stock one... was that right?? i know fishboy and at a couple other sites said i should tee it, right now it works fine but not sure... am i better off teeing it???

BlankMan
04-28-2003, 10:50 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mante)</div><div class='quotemain'>1- if your worried about mpg drive stock..simple as that</div>

Um - no thanks - I just need to be able to $budget$ accordingly https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>As stated way back in this post's first life. I take no responsibility for any damage as a result of modifications you make to your car.</div>

Aw, Chip, and here I thought I could get you to pay for a new engine if I could just blow this one.. :jester:

Seriously, thanks for the input guys.

J

krazienluv10
04-29-2003, 03:30 AM
okay i just put a tee on it anyways, didnt feel a difference at all with it on, but ohhh well, thanks for all the info guys!!! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Mante
04-29-2003, 10:22 AM
okay i just put a tee on it anyways, didnt feel a difference at all with it on, but ohhh well, thanks for all the info guys!!! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Its not something your going to feel any difference on until its tuned, maybe not even then. All it does is makes sure the fuel supply is there at a constant rate.