PDA

View Full Version : cap and rotor changed now wont stay running!!!

phatboyslim12
08-26-2012, 02:30 PM
hey i changed the cap and rotor in my 02 v6, and now the car wont stay running, it will startup, then the rpms drop till it stalls!!!

the old rotor had a big chunk missing from it and it ran fine!!!
what you think happened????

if i hit the gas lightly it will idle a bit rough but not right!!!
i need help!!!

dknight3
08-26-2012, 02:58 PM
make sure the wires are in the right order.

phatboyslim12
08-26-2012, 03:23 PM
I just double checked there in the right order

QnzMostWanted
08-26-2012, 03:26 PM
put back the original and see if it fixes the problem, maybe u have a defective cap

phatboyslim12
08-26-2012, 04:21 PM
if the mass air flow sensor goes bad will it cause the car not to run???

i was getting fustrated trying to get the car running and i threw the air tubing with the maf on it i put it all back together and it started dropped idol real low, then corrected itself, it ran i was happy, but i tapped the maf LIGHTLY and it stalled out...

oakrdrs187
08-26-2012, 04:46 PM
^ Its possible you damaged your MAF.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

phatboyslim12
08-26-2012, 05:07 PM
scratch that im not done with the thread yet but it is running and driving now, it seems to shift strangely but im on the impression that its the adaptive trans, but it seems to rev while shifting into third it didnt do that before i pulled the battery...

anyone have an idea on that??? and i didnt do anything to get it going just waited 20 minutes and started it up, it dropped low cought itself and now its running again, so ill update tomorrow, its going to the shop anyway for the timing belt soo ill let them know...

oakrdrs187
08-26-2012, 05:15 PM
I didn't realize you disconnected the battery. What your car was and is doing is normal. The PCM is relearning idle rpms and shift points. Next time you disconnect the battery it will be a good idea to clean the throttle body with brake or TB cleaner as well as the MAF with MAF cleaner, both can be found in your local parts store and are good items to have around. When cleaning the TB, careful not to get too much on the IAC, I recommend you spray a shop towel and then wipe the TB down rather then spraying it directly onto it.

phatboyslim12
08-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Thankfully the neighbor is a mechanic lol but had no idea what was going on, but yea I had to disconnect the battery and remove the batt. Housing to get at the cap, and the throttlebody was already nice and clean almost new looking

So this is normal? Lol it made me sooo mad haha

oakrdrs187
08-26-2012, 05:32 PM
Yes, starting and stalling, and running like so is normal for the first few mins/miles of driving, take it out for a spin, it should clear up.

phatboyslim12
08-26-2012, 05:39 PM
kk thanks soo much, this is the first car ive had like this lol

keith6110
08-26-2012, 07:35 PM
idk about this stalling and restarting being normal. I've changed my rotor and cap and didn't have this. Battery disconnects never stalled on me either.

Let me know if this is still a problem.

phatboyslim12
08-26-2012, 08:28 PM
idk about this stalling and restarting being normal. I've changed my rotor and cap and didn't have this. Battery disconnects never stalled on me either.

Let me know if this is still a problem.

I started the car ten minutes ago and its running fine no issues yet lol
If I encounter an issue ill let you know, is yours an 02 v6 and you may have had the battery out for less time also it was about an hour and a half for me I sat and took a break lol

keith6110
08-26-2012, 08:52 PM
not an 02, but yes v6. I've had my battery out multiple times and no issue for me. I might notice it runs different, but not so extreme to where it doesn't even run.

Glad yours is running good again.

phatboyslim12
08-26-2012, 09:32 PM
hmm, i dunno if year is a difference, but it did seem to get rid of those gremlins by itself, i did nothing to get it running fine, strange thing but seems that oak is right inmy case, well so far at least...

phatboyslim12
08-28-2012, 05:58 PM
update:

hey so i got the car back and they did say it was off time, so that may have had an issue with this process, but i dunno its running fine and enjoying the car so thanks everybody for the help i have recieved...

oakrdrs187
08-28-2012, 11:00 PM
^ anytime bro