PDA

View Full Version : Grinding type sound after timing belt install???

phatboyslim12
08-29-2012, 07:30 PM
hey so more of an inquiry as the car is going back to the shop tomorrow, but heres my issue...

i got my car back yesterday from getting the timing belt and waterpump done, when i got the car car i noticed a light sqeek coming from it but wasnt to bad...

this morning i start it to go to work and i was shocked to hear a horrible grinding like sound from the engine...

if i had to put the sound to something, id say it sounded like a really really bad throw out bearing...

the sound subsided for the most part after a few minutes but is def. not supposed to do that, you can still hear it a bit when the cars in gear.

this is the v6 model.

has anyone encountered this before or has suggestions i can relay to the mechanic?

QnzMostWanted
08-29-2012, 07:52 PM
just take it back and let them hear it, its probably somethign not tightened properly, but dont waste time on getting it back to them because they will say it wasnt their fault

keith6110
08-29-2012, 08:19 PM
damn, being a v6 do not take chances. You will end up with 12 bent valves and it will cost a good bit to change.

phatboyslim12
08-29-2012, 09:22 PM
as soon as i got to work this morning i called them up and im bringing it in first thing around 8 am, im gonna record the sound because like i said it doesnt sound really bad after a few minutes, but it is going back, and they are aware of the situation.

im kind of aggrivated that the place let it go like that as they have to start it to move it to the lot when its done, so most likely they already heard the way it is...

foxbrand
08-29-2012, 09:40 PM
this could be any number of things
if it's more of a sqeeking, it could be that you have an acessory belt slipping (or if the belt has too much tension, which will also cause the belt to slip, speaking from experence here)
if it's a metal on metal noise (or like what you said, like a really bad throw out bearing), this could be a number of things, a bad bearing within the water pump, also going back with the sqeeking noise, it could also be an under or over tensioned accessory belt (worst case with an over tensioned belt, you have a bent shaft on any of your accessories), a bad bearing with either of your idler or tensioner pullies with your timing belt or your accessories
honestly, take the car (get it towed) to the mechanic that did the timing belt and water pump tomorrow (or NOW if that shop is still open)

phatboyslim12
08-29-2012, 09:59 PM
this could be any number of things
if it's more of a sqeeking, it could be that you have an acessory belt slipping (or if the belt has too much tension, which will also cause the belt to slip, speaking from experence here)
if it's a metal on metal noise (or like what you said, like a really bad throw out bearing), this could be a number of things, a bad bearing within the water pump, also going back with the sqeeking noise, it could also be an under or over tensioned accessory belt (worst case with an over tensioned belt, you have a bent shaft on any of your accessories), a bad bearing with either of your idler or tensioner pullies with your timing belt or your accessories
honestly, take the car (get it towed) to the mechanic that did the timing belt and water pump tomorrow (or NOW if that shop is still open)

Hey thanks for the input, unfortunatly I don't have the money to tow the car to the shop in the morning, I spent 700 yesterday for this job.
As far as the sqeek its not a sqweel, its repetitive and constant

The shop is only 5-7 miles away I wish I could get it towed but its very expensive for a tow,
Ill call the shop before I go and see if they have a truck to tow it

GWAPS
08-29-2012, 11:56 PM
Hopefully, things go well 4 u bro gd luck. Hey by the way dnt take it back to that shop again after u get it fixed 2morrow. They should have fixed it right the 1st time no disrespects 2 u homie. Me personally I dnt mess with shops or techs that dnt fix cars right the 1st time. I totally understand techs make mistakes, but mistakes sometimes cost u alot n the end. Again no disrespects 2 u just my opinion.

phatboyslim12
08-30-2012, 06:43 AM
I don't plan on bringing it to them after this again, the bad part is I chose this shop because all the other shops I've ever used in the past always screws up. I'm running out of places to bring it besides the dealer but there in another state...

phatboyslim12
08-30-2012, 08:31 AM
Ok just came back from the shop, and here's what they said, the sqeek is coming from the timing cover, they did show me, now that worse sound I could not recreate in all its glory, but I let them know the res had to be filled last night and they said it may have been an air bubble as the res was full when it left.

They said if it occurs again to bring it right in

vincent_13
10-08-2012, 03:09 PM
I think I have a similar problem to his, got the car back from getting all the belts and water pump changed from the shop with only a short thud every time it started up. in a couple of days got worse,Thought it was the throw out bearing we dropped the transmission to change it but it was fine. just today it started giving me multiple cylinder misfire.
Heres a video notice at 0:45 I push the clutch in and the noise goes away.http://youtu.be/l3q58eDNE8E
Any theories before I try taking it to the shop?

drm3613
10-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Wow sounds like a serious issue! I recently did my tune up as well dealing with the timing belt and it runs like new. Replaced the water pump, camshaft seals 2x, and all accessories. I too have a v6 and everything seems fine and this was almost 3 months ago except my camshaft seal popped out. I don't know how the sound would come from the timing belt cover considering there's at least a 2" gap in between the cover and the timing belt itself. Best of luck to you bro

vincent_13
10-08-2012, 04:21 PM
I dont think its the timing belt cover seems to come from the transmission side or maybe engine, the weird thing is it goes away when I step on the clutch pedal. still debating whether or not its the timing or not might of been the spirited driving i did a couple of days before I got it changed. thanks for looking anyways.

drm3613
10-08-2012, 06:03 PM
The timing belt cover issue I was aiming that at phatboyslim12, sorry should have been more specific... Now stepping on the clutch is when the noise stops? I think u might be having another issue. I don't drive standard so maybe someone that does can chime on in here. Wish I could be more of help to the both of you

phatboyslim12
10-08-2012, 08:57 PM
the timing belt covers dont make noise, i thought they were but they are not, but if you put a lil bit of wieght on the rear one it will rub, not the belt itself but i still need new covers...

now my issue i am pretty sure is the drivers side mount under the battery tray. my old mechanic said its seems like the mount is moving more than it should, and this is very possible, as when the timing was done, the pass. side mount comes off and if the engine is not properly supported it can tweak and mess with the other mount i was refering to earlier.

if i recall there was a major sound when i started it the day after the belt was done and im guessing the mount broke then...

i am having an issue but i dont think it is related to the mount or the timing belt, i actually have three threads open which i believe is being caused by the same part... and i think im going to close the others and make 1 post wit all the symptoms etc

phatboyslim12
10-08-2012, 09:06 PM
vincent... my issue is when my car is making noise, closest sound would be sorta like a throw out bearing but goes away when i hit the gas even lightly... i believe the mount is taking the engine vibrations at warmup and tranfering them to the chassis creating the noise, a proper mount should act like a noise/vibration barrier and its not at the moment, as it only makes noise while the car warms up

with a 5 speed, when you step on the clutch it stops the forward momentum and torque to the trans more or less, and that will lessen the vibration from the engine.

if you have the funds and time get it checked out "the mount under the battery tray" it would help us both out...
i would but i recently changed shops and the new one isnt free diag so yea, i already spent $1500 on getting it worked on so im low on cash and saving up to put it back in...

vincent_13
10-08-2012, 09:51 PM
sorry man I dont think my problem is the mount under the battery tray, I recently took mine off mine to change the throw out bearing looked fine. mine sounds just like i was making popcorn at low rpms. worse anything over 2k. I know what u mean man I keep throwing money at mine

phatboyslim12
10-08-2012, 10:05 PM
sorry man I dont think my problem is the mount under the battery tray, I recently took mine off mine to change the throw out bearing looked fine. mine sounds just like i was making popcorn at low rpms. worse anything over 2k. I know what u mean man I keep throwing money at mine

i dont even know what to call the sound i hear, besides unique, its one of those sounds that make you cringe like nails on a chalkboard, if there is a way to post ill try recordig the noise tomorrow morning when i go to work if i take it my iac is failing i believe

Palmz
10-10-2012, 11:57 AM
this heppend to me when i changed the timing belt on my 2.4 it was the wheel on the water pump i accedently tightened it crucked