PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt Kit - any good?

CHICAGO_ONE
09-04-2012, 04:09 PM
I'm at that point where I need to replace the Timing Belt / Water Pump / Valve Cover gasket and am trying to collect the parts.

I came across this website that sells kits that use the OEM Contitech brands (not sure about the others):
http://www.timingbeltkit.com/servlet/the-464/timing-belt%2C-mitsubish-galant/Detail

Has anyone else used this site and have a review?

Is this a decent price?

Do you recommend buying everything from somewhere else? If so, can you break down a proper list of whats needed?

I'm pretty much looking for a good OEM replacement. I also don't want to go over the top and get anything unnecessary.

phatboyslim12
09-04-2012, 05:00 PM
I'm at that point where I need to replace the Timing Belt / Water Pump / Valve Cover gasket and am trying to collect the parts.

I came across this website that sells kits that use the OEM Contitech brands (not sure about the others):
http://www.timingbeltkit.com/servlet/the-464/timing-belt%2C-mitsubish-galant/Detail

Has anyone else used this site and have a review?

Is this a decent price?

Do you recommend buying everything from somewhere else? If so, can you break down a proper list of whats needed?

I'm pretty much looking for a good OEM replacement. I also don't want to go over the top and get anything unnecessary.

i just had my belt done and carquest had a kit the shop used...
it was a complete timing belt kit but didnt have valve cover gaskets, i didnt see the link but i am guessing its about $400 for the one you looked at, im pretty sure the kit i got was a little more than 200, and vc gaskets are only $40 take a look around at autozone and other places, before buying online, you can probably save some money

M-Rod
09-05-2012, 10:33 AM
As a Carquest employee I have had the pleasure of dealing with both Gates and Contitech timing belts on my Mitsubishis. I highly recommend either of those 2 brands if you're looking for a top quality belt.

deeznutz
09-05-2012, 11:50 AM
I've only use gates kits whitch is the next best thing to oem IMO anyways. Their kits DONOT come with the tensioner this is a must change with any timing belt!!!

CHICAGO_ONE
09-05-2012, 12:41 PM
So do you guys think this kit is legit? It seems to come with everything I need, I just want to make sure the quality is there too.

I am needing to replace the VC gasket anyways.

M-Rod
09-05-2012, 05:52 PM
It looks legit to me. All of those brand names are used by most of the automotive shops that I service with great success. I would trust it.

Corey2kG
09-05-2012, 07:56 PM
I have Gates as well good stuff

tamim13
09-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Yes I have used these guys before. They are called small car parts limited and are located in VA. They have good customer service and they ship out really fast. You will get it in less than 3 days. I bought it from their eBay store -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Timing-Belt-Water-Pump-Kit-Mitsubishi-Galant-99-00-V6-/140228833354?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AGalant&hash=item20a64a304a&vxp=mtr

I bought the 4 cyl one -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Timing-Belt-Kit-Mitsubishi-Galant-99-00-01-02-03-4cyl-/170495268857?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AGalant&hash=item27b24f57f9&vxp=mtr

Came with everything I needed. The Water pump was NPW if I remember right. Everything was good quality and lasted the 60K miles, although the water pump had started leaking by that time. I switched back to OEM and with the tensioners and everything that came in the kit from small car parts, from the dealer it cost me almost $700 (about double of theirs).

GeeMode
09-25-2012, 12:07 AM
This is the one I picked up from AZ...haven't installed it yet but the box looks nice..LOL

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1999-Mitsubishi-Galant/Water-Pump-Kit/_/N-jda8mZ8ik6r?filterByKeyWord=water+pump+kit&fromString=search

BIG_WILLY_831
11-26-2012, 05:59 PM
I get oem parts at a decent price from

www.oemmitsubishiparts.com

I'm going to get the timing belt, pulley, tensioner, balance shaft belt, balance shaft tensioner, water pump and water pump gasket for about 462 I think with shipping they are in Texas. has anyone used this company or know if it's good for oem parts

Sent from my galaxy S3 using tapatalk 2

bgood12
11-26-2012, 08:09 PM
Honestly price difference I'm most cases is not big enough to justify not gettin OEM parts. Usually the electronics and some body pieces are ungodly expensive but everything else is about same most times.

tamim13
11-26-2012, 09:41 PM
I get oem parts at a decent price from

www.oemmitsubishiparts.com

I'm going to get the timing belt, pulley, tensioner, balance shaft belt, balance shaft tensioner, water pump and water pump gasket for about 462 I think with shipping they are in Texas. has anyone used this company or know if it's good for oem parts

Sent from my galaxy S3 using tapatalk 2

Yes, I order from them all the time. They have some of the best OEM parts prices online, they are Southwest Mitsubishi in Texas and have never let me down. So far, I've seen an average shipping time of 1-1.5 weeks. Search the galant center for the website and you'll see enough positive reviews to make you comfortable.