PDA

View Full Version : Humming sound-Pulsating 40-60Mph

metal.studz
09-09-2012, 07:02 PM
I own a 2002 Galant ES [165k] and while driving on freeway from 40-60 there is a wired humming/pulsating sound. This sound vanishes or reduces after 70mph ..i can feel the sound matching the motion of wheels. So at higher speeds the iteration of cycle increases and noise cannot be much identified but exists.

Couple of things:

1.I can feel some vibration on my steering while braking hard ..got it checked by mechanic ..and my brake pads needs to be changed along with rotors[optional]

2.Going over the previous forums its being suggested to change wheel bearings but no concrete response if it worked out or not

3.Well another guy driving Honda replaced ...pads ..rotors ..bearings ..rotated tires and finally got fixed by replacing rear control arms

4.Other steps people suggest replacing tires and rims

...for now i got my wheel balanced ..did not help ..later there was this plastic shield behind my front driver wheel which was luring out and hanging on a bolt ..got that piece out ..but no improvement

Please suggest me where should i start from don't like wasting money be replacing everything

dknight3
09-09-2012, 07:43 PM
how old are tires?

oakrdrs187
09-10-2012, 01:07 AM
Following what the Honda guy did would be good start. Control arm bushings can wear and cause vibrations, clunks and noise.

As it was stated prior to my response what is the condition of your tires?

Joker96
09-10-2012, 11:51 AM
i am having the same thing and it all started when i replaced the passengers side axle with the hub and bearing assembly. the old axle was rusted to the old hub and bearing so i had to replace both.

bgood12
09-10-2012, 05:24 PM
This noise could be anything from worn bushing, to cupped tire best bet is to go to tire place ask them to look and see if ur tirw is cupped they can tell just by looking most times. Then pay 30 bucks, (at Firestone I would guess about same most places) for them to inspect everything and give you list of what's worn, lose, bad, etc.

metal.studz
09-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Well tires are just 20k old ..threads are nice and good

Day1. Got my balancing done [No change][-75]

Day2. Did remove the shield behind the driver wheel as it was just hanging on a bolt [No change][-0]

Day3. I changed my brake pads [No change][-75]

Day4. I did replace both rotors as worn out [No change][-125]

Spoke with an expert mechanic he tells me ..if that's a bearing issue it would go crazy as you go on higher speeds like 70-80.

I my case the sound goes audible and matching the pace with the speed between 40 to 60 and then its like ...faster iterations making a monotonous low sound [low maybe due to increase in external sound]

metal.studz
09-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Almost new

bgood12
09-12-2012, 07:47 PM
When they did alignemnt did they not, 1 road force the tires to check for cupping or give you a suspensions inspection with it?

metal.studz
09-12-2012, 08:15 PM
Well nothing about the suspension but got it done from Pepboys 75$ package + taxes ..which includes all 4 tires ..will call them and let you know what they provide in detail

bgood12
09-12-2012, 08:21 PM
I was just asking they might just charge for it I went to a place in a spot and had mine inspected it was 30 bucks. Its hard to get into the dealership but every time they do any work on your car they do a overall inspection for you. So I wasn't sure where it was teken etc. But it could be any list of worn out parts really I'm sure if some mechanic heard it they could almost tell u but maybe not.

Joker96
09-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Sounds like the exact same thing am having.

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2

bgood12
09-12-2012, 08:47 PM
I ask cause I have it too, its a 50's spaceship sound that I have. From 40 to 60 then at 80 it goes away. They said its a cupped tire just one, but I know I hit it on a few huge bumps, that mixed with old OEM shocks, ans low profile 17 tires caused it. That's why I asked about your shocks

phatboyslim12
09-14-2012, 08:00 PM
my rear drivers tire makes a humming sound almost all the time and increases between 40-60ish, i had all the bearings checked when i bought the car 1 month ago, and all are fine as with the suspension. im guessing the problem is alignment as i have noticed it is the tire tread noise, on my car at least.

thegalant
09-21-2012, 10:42 PM
well did you get it fixed?

Hevymetalg
09-22-2012, 08:07 PM
Well nothing about the suspension but got it done from Pepboys 75$ package + taxes ..which includes all 4 tires ..will call them and let you know what they provide in detail

Haha pepboys, they are only allowed to do a "tie and blow" alignment! Get far away as possible from those idiots! You gottA find a good speed shop to do it right.

Sent from an iPhone...sorry:(

thegalant
09-23-2012, 01:38 AM
Haha pepboys, they are only allowed to do a "tie and blow" alignment! Get far away as possible from those idiots! You gottA find a good speed shop to do it right.

Sent from an iPhone...sorry:(

tie and blow? what is that ha?

wetamup2k3g
09-23-2012, 09:24 AM
Toe and go maybe? Where all they do is set the toe-in to spec and call it good.

thegalant
09-23-2012, 09:46 AM
Toe and go maybe? Where all they do is set the toe-in to spec and call it good.

lol lame, Isn't a laser/infrared alignment where they put reflectors on the wheels as good as it gets? What does a speed shop do? I assume speed shop is a performance shop. My cousin works at IMOLA

wetamup2k3g
09-23-2012, 11:02 AM
^^Not sure what you're asking me for?

I don't know shit about what pep boys does, but what I've seen is most times a lot of shops just set the toe and call it good, using the laser alignment machine. However there's more to an alignment than just toe, but it's harder to do caster, camber etc without loosening and adjusting a whole lot of stuff, putting in shims, etc., so most places just adjust the toe till the measurement goes green on the screen. I know at Sears when I worked there the techs would set everything right, I've seen the guys go get shims and plates and shit. All I've ever done on an alignment was adjust the toe when I went to Lincoln Tech, and it was on my car, and it was all that out of spec because the thing was only two years old at that point. I just adjusted the front tie rods, that's it.