PDA

View Full Version : 4g63 Cyclone Intake

tomic
08-25-2002, 10:11 PM
I've organised a 4g63 (non-turbo) Cyclone motor for my 90 GSR.

Its the same engine as I am already running, but with the cyclone intake.
This engine has a 4 speed auto with it.

My car has a 5 speed manual that i'd prefer to keep.

Will the engine swap require me to swap ECU's because of the Cyclone intake? If i do have to swap ECUs will I need to make modifications to allow for a manual where a auto gearbox had been running previously?

Any suggestions on engine modifications to this block? Been looking at stroker kits and such, but have not found much info as to power output afterwards. Ideas people?

Cheers,
-dave.

talontd
08-30-2002, 02:55 AM
sorry... double post....

sabzi5858
10-18-2002, 11:45 AM
if you want the cyclone intake to work to it's full potential, do a search for it at dsmtalk.com there was quite a bit of discussion on it and how to make the butterflys activate around 3000rpm making them work better. this may only be for turbo cars though, but i'd think it would also be advantageous on the non-turbo version.

Marius
11-11-2002, 10:17 PM
sorry to say but that intake will not work for you it does not do much for the 4g63t engine neither.......from what i noticed boost kicks in a little sooner (200-300 rpms)...mine came with a JDM engine and it was a pain re-locating the ignition coils....you will also need to get boost/vacum to open/close the butterflys WOT and off.....not really worth the pain......
if you could do the 4g63t swap that'll be sweet just to see the v8 boys get mad when you leave them at the stop light...love it every time!....

ken inn
11-26-2002, 03:44 PM
sorry to say but that intake will not work for you it does not do much for the 4g63t engine neither.......from what i noticed boost kicks in a little sooner (200-300 rpms)...mine came with a JDM engine and it was a pain re-locating the ignition coils....you will also need to get boost/vacum to open/close the butterflys WOT and off.....not really worth the pain......
if you could do the 4g63t swap that'll be sweet just to see the v8 boys get mad when you leave them at the stop light...love it every time!....

that's because you dont have it hooked up correctly. you absolutely must have the white cannister, or another vacuum resevoir/one way valve. this intake does a LOT for my car, 1991 vr4, 2g mas, 550's, s-afc, 2.5 turbo back, ported big 16g, water injection, yada, yada. greatly improves response off idle, greatly improves cruise, and excellent fuel economy at high speed cruise. the ign coil is easily relocated, i ground off the lower right boss to clear the a/c line, rotated the factory coil bracket about 20 deg, and redrilled another hole, it now uses 2 of the 3 factory mount locations, and appears stock. i am using 2 soleniods to control the butterflies, and a hobbs pressure switch to control the solenoids. the BIGGEST PROBLEM with the cyclone intake, is the vast majority of those who install it, do NOT know how to make it work. AND, it DOES NOTHING for wot, it is designed to improve low end and midrange, and it does it very well.