PDA

View Full Version : help me build a turbo!

Ghost Beat
04-22-2003, 08:57 PM
Sup guys so here's the story, i was going to get a kit and a paint job on my ride this year but i got my insurance money too late and if i put the car into the shop now it will come out in like end of July. the shop i wasn't done at does great work but takes forever since therye so busy so i decided to put about 4k to 5k into my engine and put a nice turbo on it and get the engine worked over. right now my initial goal is around 300+ at the wheel on a daily driven ride hopefully.. the problem is i know somewhat about turbo's the thing is i need to know where to start what to buy my initial thought is to start off with a Apexi SAFC so you guys that are the turbo genius's let me know and thanx a lot in advance for the help!
oh also i own a 99 DE aka i4

DJ Galant
04-23-2003, 02:04 AM
if i were u, if u wanna go turbo, first of all get at least low compresion pistons and set of nice rings. Reson for that - it takes about 3 weeks to make them.
See also if u can save up some money for the stand alone rather than SAFC. This is really the best way to go.
Also, since your car is in the shop - i would probably contact level ten and see if they can rebuild your transmission so u can boost a lot of psi.
Tranny will be always an issue. I mean 300+ hp at the wheels - sound like Tranny will not take it. Also, 300+ at the wheels - I don't know about the connecting rods. That would be way more than 350 hp at the crank = rods will not hold it....
If u can fit in 5K for 300 Hp at the wheels than i gotta say 1 thing:
You are getting hooked up.

Spyder4G64t
04-23-2003, 09:54 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'> Also, 300+ at the wheels - I don't know about the connecting rods. That would be way more than 350 hp at the crank = rods will not hold it....</div>There are 4G63t guys that have put down 420whp with stock connecting rods. I wouldn't worry about 300+ at the wheels. Although if you are going to go in and replace the pistons, you might as well do the rods right away. Eagle probably makes the cheapest aftermarket rods, and they have held up really well.

SuperchargedGTZ
04-23-2003, 10:23 AM
well matt from club3g is putting down 296 at th wheels with everything STOCK....stock pistons, rings, connecting rods....etc

if you wanna go turbo why not try xtech...i know that DD kits is absolutely horrible

Ghost Beat
04-23-2003, 01:18 PM
well 5k is what i have sitting around, i know to get all this done is not gona be that cheap.. but i will prolly be able to dump in some extra loot in there as time goes by this summer, im just gona buy everything i need and then have the car taken in at the end of summer get the work done and keep it in the shop as well to get it painted. so basicly im just stocking up on parts first and thats what i meant i need sort of a buyers list what to get in what order since its all just gona be sitting around till the end of summer than its all gona go in.

seth98esT
04-24-2003, 01:20 AM
-Turbo
-Gauges: Boost, A/F, EGT, Oil
-Exhaust Manifold
-Intercooler
-Intercooler Piping
-Oil lines
-SAFC
-Boost controller: manual or electric
-BOV

Ghost Beat
04-24-2003, 03:02 AM
i allready thanked you in the chat but thanx again seth also anyone wana recommend me a nice exhaust for this set up also what size piping should i run 2 1/4 good or does it have to be 2 1/2 and better? keep em comign guys i went and got the hic issue of build your own turbo it helped some what but you guys are still my best guidance so let me know what to start with. thanx again

seth98esT
04-24-2003, 03:40 PM
id go 2.5-3", 2.25 isnt the best for turbo apps, especially if u plan on runnin 300whp

Ghost Beat
04-24-2003, 04:58 PM
ya im prolly just gona go with 2 1/2 my boy runs 3 on his gti and that thing is insanely loud how about for the muffler i was lookin at either hks or apexi for it im gona be runnin a lota apexi parts so i might have to go with a apexi muffler with it...

HiperSilver
04-24-2003, 08:23 PM
not neccesarily
Thermal mufflers sound great on turbo cars,

DJ Galant
04-25-2003, 02:41 AM
apex muffler is loud...i got a homeboy with 91 talon talon 3 inch all the way no cut and is pretty loud.
Let me let you this from my personal experience.
All the Mitsubishi's Eclipses Turbo, Eagle Talon tsi Turbo, Plymouth Laseer,91-92 Mitsubishi Galant Vr4 , and my car included - all of them with aftermarket no matter what muffler sound very similiar. The reason why is the low compression that we are running....
I would realy love to make a website where i could record and put on those sounds for you on all mof the above cars.
The diffrence with Apex and Magnaflow for expample is Apex is deffeniately louder, but it has the same sound when idling...
When u get on it though, some mufflers soundslitely differnt on above cars.
Apex is defeniately the loudest out off all my friends with above cars metioned . The reason why is because is 3".
Rest of my friends, including myself, are running 2.5".

Ghost Beat
04-25-2003, 03:09 AM
i dont realy want anything REALY loud i mean i know exhausts gona be loud anyway i want more of that hum but i also want the best exhaust possible im willin to spend a little extra for it as well im prolly just gona run 2 1/2 pipping but if i push it further up on teh hp scale down the road ill worry about it then.

HiperSilver
04-25-2003, 11:51 PM
u guys cant be more concerned about sound than performance...

get THERMAL, best sounding best power producing muffler for a TURBO or DSM car

can also get HKS or Greddy both same shit

Ghost Beat
04-25-2003, 11:57 PM
well i am conserned about sound because i get pulled over for all sorts of shit that no one else seems to so i do have to watch for cops.

HiperSilver
04-26-2003, 01:28 AM
as i said, i know guys with THERMAL R&D exhuast, its prolly some of the quieter stuff and it sounds nice......

Ghost Beat
04-27-2003, 10:17 PM
k one more thing im tryign to stick with one company as much as i can for parts for the turbo (turbo intercooler bov so on and so forth) im preety much narrowed down to either A'pexi or HKS what do you guys think i should go with im leaning more towards HKS caus of the history and the rides they have but A'pexi ive heard great stuff about as well.

HiperSilver
04-28-2003, 05:31 PM
Dont stick with one brand, trust me on this. You may think that okay, everything id designed for their parts but its not true.
Apexi as far as turbo accesories goes isnt nothing near Greddy or HKS.
If you are concerned with parts here it goes
Turbo...TD05-16g Turbo, mitsu turbo
FMIC...Dont go with Apexi, Greddy or others....Spearco is hands down the best. Bar and Plate is much better than Tube and Fin...so Spearco..you can get it cheap on ebay.
BOV...HKS Super Sequntial, doesnt leak, has a cool higher pitched "phsst" sound and a medium sized valve which will be good for your boost settings.
Injector....stock DSM 450 CC with a resistor pack.
S-AFC 2 if you can afford it, if not get a S-AFC 1 , its good for what you will be needing. afc 2 has settings for race gas and street.
exhuast manny...stock 2g dsm.
Custom piping to Thermal muffler...You would have hands down one of the best setups with this equipment.

Ghost Beat
04-28-2003, 07:08 PM
well thanx for all the help guys but ive decided to just do a swap into the engine havent decided yet on what engine yet but thanx for all the help anyway any mods that wana close this please feel free to do so.