PDA

View Full Version : Devil never sleeps!!!

drm3613
10-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Ok so this was more my fault than the devils..... I recently started having an oil leak so I decided, since it is Saturday, to take a look and find out the issue. I removed the timing belt cover to find out one of the seals on the front camshaft popped open. It was sticking out like a sore thumb so I grabbed a screw driver and tried popping it back in. My first mistake was that I didn't check the haynes manual, which I DO have! What I did was that I pushed the seal all the way in like a freaking IDIOT!!! So do me a favor and give me all the crap I deserve!!!! Anyways I turn on the engine and now I have a long streaming leak of oil dripping from the camshaft! I can't take out the seal due to lack of space! I was thinking of removing the valve cover and try to push it back out if possible. Any ideas anyone? All I have is $5 till payday Tuesday! So I have placed myself in a huge predicament! I hate myself right now please help any ideas or suggestions! I own a 3.0l stock. Thank you!

bgood12
10-06-2012, 11:51 PM
Maybe if u have some permatex you make a light coat around inside diameter of where seal is so it won't leak as badly

G-spot
10-07-2012, 03:55 AM
before you permatex the hell out of it, remove valve cover first so you can retrieve the seal, inspect seal, if the seal is worn replace it
http://gregsoper.net/seal%20broken.jpg

drm3613
10-07-2012, 08:55 AM
G-spot I was thinking that as well. Is there a possible way of retrieving the seal that way?

drm3613
10-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Maybe if u have some permatex you make a light coat around inside diameter of where seal is so it won't leak as badly

Permatex? I've never heard or used that ever :\

duh2150
10-08-2012, 07:14 AM
try and replace seal first, your going to be disappointed when it still leaks after permatex

http://www.permatex.com/

drm3613
10-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Ok so I removed the valve cover and got the camshaft seal out. But problem now is that when I was moving the seal back in through the edge of the seal sort of stripped a bit. I'm still getting a little drop or two falling but nothing major at all. I'm sure its from that same seal that it is dripping oil from. Should permatex help in this situation?

bgood12
10-08-2012, 03:07 PM
It will help but only a light light light coat around the seal, it might be good if u can to get new seal and put the rtv lightly very lightly around it.

drm3613
10-08-2012, 04:04 PM
It will help but only a light light light coat around the seal, it might be good if u can to get new seal and put the rtv lightly very lightly around it.

Rtv? What's that? Sorry I'm not all that mechanically inclined. And you apply emphasis on lightly? Alright bro ill give this a shot as soon as I get some cash flow

bgood12
10-08-2012, 04:05 PM
sry its just permatex sealant I think ultra grey is wat u use

drm3613
10-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Oooh ok now your speaking my language! :D awesome will do thank you guys for all your help!